Skip navigation

Young enthusiasts

Back to the top

Young enthusiasts

Forgive me for this rant but i need to get it off my chest.

Firstly i need to say how good gaydon meet was, it was the first show i have been to where there were so many standard and modified cars all in one place. and i can say that the standard cars looked as good as any modified example.

The only bad point about the show was the fact i had to listen to some body insisting that 'youngsters' dont appreciate the mk1 in its pure form and we 'mess' with them and 'ruin' them.

His messing comment must mean moddify and ruin them must mean something else along the same lines. Im the owner of A433 JKV a picture can be seen on the gaydon review. i think ive 'messed' with my golf respectfully and havent ruined any part of my golf and i certainly appreciate the golf in its standard form.

Of course people will have their own views on things but to completly generalise something is way out of line.

please feel free to tell me if im over reacting.

Back to the top

young enthusiasts

Hi
Why worry!!
As long as you like what you have done to YOUR car. Dont let it bother you…….life is too short (and all that)
TC

Back to the top
At least you got a picture  :cry:

I think it's a little stereotypical to say that, as the AA guy I was speaking to yesterday (throttle body idle adjustment screw fell out  :oops: ) was more into 'messing' with car's than me and he was at least in his 50's.. talking about K&N filters, spoilers etc. etc..

I'd still like to class myself as a youngster and have restored my Mk1 from the grave to almost standard… a little lower suspension, stripped out rear (yet to carpet it though!).. purist's would say I've messed around with it but hey.. can't please everyone with your own tastes

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Everyone is entitled to a mature comment on here like you have made.

I think what you heard was a general statement and there are certianly exceptions to it. Older cars like the Mk1 do not seem to suffer from the outlandish mods that the newer cars do today. I am really pleased there are so many younger guys/gals on here that appreciate a standard car  :clap: . Remember that the orientation of the club, and therefore its members, is towards preserving standard cars. So you are going to here anti-mod comments but these should not be targeted against anyone.

I run a modded car myself, but I like to think the mods are in keeping with the spirit of the Mk1. Mods are always a personal thing, you either love them or hate them - a reason why modded cars dont fetch the returns that standard cars do.

I know if I had to sell one of my Mk1s, the modded car would be the first to go.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
You are showing your age! As you get older comments like that will slide like water from a ducks back…

Theres always been people who want to ruin cars and those who know how to improve, Maybe the guy who made the comment forgot about some of the horrors from the eighties?!

The show wouldn't have been that interesting if everyone had the same car now would it?

Anyhow your car looks nice, very smooth.

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
There used to be some pretty shocking modded MK1 examples when there were more of them about, 7 or 8  years ago.  :banghead:

Back to the top
cheers for the support i think he was abit set in his ways and listening to him all day got to me. im not normaly one to let other peoples opinions affect me but he was wrong. TC is right life is to short but we all gota rant now and again.

Back to the top
ne1 know where i can buy lambo doors  :mrgreen:

1272 driver with a magic tree!!

Back to the top

lowmk1 said

ne1 know where i can buy lambo doors  :mrgreen:

:lmao:  :lmao:

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
I always think of this comment when i hear people moan about modified cars:-

"Purism is just another word for boring"

;)

This is my Mk2, hardly standard but its subtle, and i bet a lot of people dont like it. Ah well, thats up to them entirely. I love it!!  8)  :D

BTW I do like standard cars too. :P

Back to the top
:y:  from me! Love small bumper 16Vs and yours is a clean example. Not fussed on German plates - never understood them!

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
Take your immaculate 16v Mk1 on Carbs. How anyone could say thats ruined is beyond me, totally amazing car. Different - yes, not to everyones tastes - yes, but ruined??? - hell no.

Back to the top
Cheers! I think if you show your car you have to be thick skinned about it all and take the rough with the smooth. As long as you like it that is what matters.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
I couldn't go to that far you've gone to Dubboy and still drive it!
that's had so much hard work done I'd be scared to take it out on a road
 :notworthy:

Back to the top
As long as the skys are clear she gets driven alright. The noise is far too addictive to leave her in the garage. Could not resist taking her for a spin in the perfect evening after Gaydon - BWAAARRRPPP!!  :lol:

Banner

Back to the top
Fair play! mind you.. took me 3 hours to clean mine on Saturday (and I left the engine bay!)… must take you a week to polish up all that chrome!

Looked good on sunday and got some pictures!

Back to the top
dubboy your right when it all comes to a close we can get deep into the politics of the vw scene and spend all day two'ing and fro'ing but it is all about driving hte damn things!

Back to the top
what was with that exhaust trim on that rally spec 1?

Back to the top
Flame trap

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
erm i knew that :lol:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.