Skip navigation

Polish off

Back to the top

Polish off

Nice one Rajan. By the way, I did have a poster of a GTI on my wall!
Along with ferrari/Porsche etc. Am I sad or did I just know it was going to be the classic icon that it now INDISPUTEABLY is???

Campaign Mk 1 Black

16v Mk2 Red (decsd )

Back to the top
Fact is no one ever had a poster of a Mk1 golf gti on there wall, they had the lambo contach or the ferrari f40, that was icon.

I've got two. (One is my car though, taken from Top Gear, but the other dates from the late 70s, with Mk1 GTis jumping a ridge, looks like fun! - and was on my wall in 1981! Did have a Lambo Countach to though :oops:)

I tried to badger my Dad into getting a Mk1 GTI when I was 11 (1981) he bought a Datsun instead  :dontknow:  Guess it was the fact the GTI wsa ?6000 and the Datsun was only ?2500….:roll:

Welcome to the Coupe-Club boys by the way, I've been on your site a couple of times. Good stuff.

I think you'll find most people on this site regard the Mk1 Golf as an icon, (which is hardly surprising) but I do think it's justified, as not only Jeremy Clarkson, but a vast and wide selection of motoring journos and commentators put it at or near the top of their list of most significant cars of the 20th Century. Even the BBC voted it number one in a poll to the general public. Good enough for me.

We get quite a few press and media requirements for Mk1 GTIs inparticular for photoshoots, articles and television, a lot of demand for a 20+ year old hatchback thats 'not that special' :wink: Added to that, there aren't as many left as people think.

In the last two years…
Top Gear x2
Crimewatch
Cars the Star
Driven
Wheeler Dealers
Top Dog
BBC Radio
VW Motoring
VW Driver
The Golf (Golf+)
Performance VW
Retro Rides
Classic Cars
Classic and Sports Car
Classics
Your Classic

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
Just waiting for Si's reply…..lets just say he loves a good ole debate….

I have had to sit directly opposite his ugly mug for the past year at work……. poor me I hear you cry……. :tlc:

Trouble is we are both car fans and sometimes (maybe never) see eye to eye. People are allowed to have there own opinion….. IMHO I quite simpley think for the money there is nothing on the road as special as a MK1 Golf GTI.

P.S……….. I love the Lambo countach and it was my childhood icon…

P.P.S……….. Drew I was born in 1981….. bet you feel old now!

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top

kins said

P.S……….. I love the Lambo countach and it was my childhood icon…

i must admit i too had a picture of the LP400 countach on my wall but did draw a set of Golf GTI alloys on to a cornflakes box and stick them on my go-kart. :roll:

Si when your cars 20+ years old and some bloke from club whatever raves on about his 5 year old rival coupe on your web site see the response you give him

Back to the top
Si when your cars 20+ years old and some bloke from club whatever raves on about his 5 year old rival coupe on your web site see the response you give him
Mr_GTI your funnier than me :lmao:  :lmao:

mk1 silver campaign totally standard lowered on coilovers magic tree vanilla

Just had a full outer body restore

Back to the top
P.P.S……….. Drew I was born in 1981….. bet you feel old now!

:evil:

8)

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
He he he  :lmao:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.