Skip navigation

Its ALIVE, its ALIVE

Back to the top

Its ALIVE, its ALIVE

Wohooo today the little red ride started up for the first time since I bought it :lol:. Got the car a couple of weeks before christmas as an aborted race car project. It had no interior and no engine back then. Now it roars and longs to burn some rubber ;)

Just needs new tires and a MOT, well still LOADS of minor details and projects to be taken care of before the car is where I want it. Like removing the duck tape and glue the side arches on :D. At least all the major things are done  8).

Cooling of after the first real testdrive

The beauty and the beast

Too low

Formel K for handling and Cobra Monaco for not falling out of the seat ;)

http://www.bostream.nu/imma/gtimk1a.html
http://se.msnusers.com/golfgtimk1/shoebox.msnw
http://garaget.org/?car=3451

-84 GTI Mars red (campaign)

-94 Audi S2 RS Avant

-98 VW Passat Variant TDI

Back to the top
Looking nice !
Are parts easy to find in Sweden ?  
I work for a Swedish company (Duni) and have a Swedish friend who is visiting his parents in July (and to get his Merc tested for another year), and he said he would bring me some parts back if I wanted. He's more into Jaguars / Mercedes and has taken Jag bits back home to his Dad (actually took a Jag back home to his Dad on one occasion !!!)
Send me a private message if you know where I should ask Andreas to look for me (!)
Thanks,
Mark

Back to the top
Very nice looking Mk1 you have there, sounds like your very happy with it  :clap:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Looking good! Bet you can't wait to get it out on the road!!!

Back to the top
Well done kroegarn - that motor looks nice and shiny  :D

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top

m6m62 said

Looking nice !
Are parts easy to find in Sweden ?  
I work for a Swedish company (Duni) and have a Swedish friend who is visiting his parents in July (and to get his Merc tested for another year), and he said he would bring me some parts back if I wanted. He's more into Jaguars / Mercedes and has taken Jag bits back home to his Dad (actually took a Jag back home to his Dad on one occasion !!!)
Send me a private message if you know where I should ask Andreas to look for me (!)
Thanks,
Mark

Depends on what you are looking for, but the scrapyards usually have a lot of old Golfs. Also personal ads in various places sells parts at bargin prices (well not always). Chromed bumpers although not always so rust free are, compared to UK, really cheap. I have a kit on the car and a another one on its way to me so one will at least be for sale :D.

Here in sweden the mk1 are not experiencing any cult status as they seem to be in UK and Germany. To the mainstream they are just considered as a cute little car that is old with low comfort. Trying to sell a car above ?2000 is basically impossible, even though up to ?10000 (or over) have been "invested" in the car. Perhaps an extremly low milage, mint condition, top of the state car could bring up to 3000 but I havent seen those prices my self.

I have a campaign that I?m selling of in pieces if you are interested. A lot have been sold already but there are some bits and bobs left :)

Thanks for all the comments guys, and yes I?m well pleased with the car :). And finally the garage will be available for the other project, Audi S2 with a broken turbo, if that can be seen as a benefit ;) with more time in the garage.

Will hopefully soon order coilovers to take care of the handling and in the autumn/winter the wheels will be refurbished and perhaps a few more ponies will find their way under hood…… non aspirated or aspirated… THAT is the question :D.

Have a superb summer all, I know I will :lol:

/Mike

-94 Audi S2 RS Avant

Back to the top
Thats a fresh looking wee car! Looks good - keep us updated

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

Thats a fresh looking wee car! Looks good - keep us updated

Tnx :). Got new sparkplugs and dizzy lid (wrong word I guess :D) And now the car purs at idle and roars when pushing the throttle ;). MOT booked to thursday next week.

Just need to sort the horn, it will not work even when I changed the relay, so I?m guessing a broken wire :dontknow: Got power at the steering wheel but nothing happens when I ground the wire. Well I also have to put the passenger and rear seat back, adjust the gear linkage… and change the tires. But then it will be fit for fight  :mrgreen:

/Mike

-94 Audi S2 RS Avant

Back to the top
The horn is always a problem on Mk1's!

Check that you canhear the relay click when the horn button is pressed.

Check you have the earthing wire on the steering rack located on the front of the rack to the side where the stering column shaft enters.

Check relay operation.

Use bypass wires to test various parts of circuit.  This is a high current curcuit so bad connections or poor wiring will affect current and voltage causing the horn to not work.

ttypical syptoms is that the horn wil make a very slight noise when the horn button is pressed or released.

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top

crazyquiff said

The horn is always a problem on Mk1's!

Check that you canhear the relay click when the horn button is pressed.

Check you have the earthing wire on the steering rack located on the front of the rack to the side where the stering column shaft enters.

Check relay operation.

Use bypass wires to test various parts of circuit.  This is a high current curcuit so bad connections or poor wiring will affect current and voltage causing the horn to not work.

ttypical syptoms is that the horn wil make a very slight noise when the horn button is pressed or released.

You were quite correct about the earthing wire on the steering rack. That one was broken. Fixed that and now MOT is just around the corner. I think I?m on top of things now :) only a slight dripping from the water cooler :banghead: hopefully not to much to get a note at the MOT. Do not have time to fix that now :(

Although the car needs more sorting out, the front wheel alignment is way off and the car is drifting all over the road. Also the gear shift linkage needs a minor adjustment (now have to press the gear stick to get first and 2:nd gear in place).

/Mike

-94 Audi S2 RS Avant

Back to the top
MOT passed :D Well not with flying colours but still got a clean paper :).

Got comments on wheel alignment :D, weak rear brake power (totally forgot to adjust the rear brakes), but the more worrying thing was that the noise I?ve started to hear was from the gearbox, not a wheel bearing… :( Hopefully that can be sorted without changing gearbox.

/Mike

-94 Audi S2 RS Avant

Back to the top

Some new photos

A link to some new pictures.

http://se.msnusers.com/golfgtimk1/shoebox.msnw

Cheers

/Mike

-94 Audi S2 RS Avant

Back to the top
Good news! How is it driving? Looking good

Back to the top
nice GTI . I was in Wolfsburg meeting and i heard that you was there some time ago.I hope we meet next year.
know you about mk-1 in sweden for sale in good condition??
engine should be 1,5-1,8 only benzine powered, 2 door body.
let me know on private message. thanks  :wink:

Remember, VW made the last car in 1992. After that they started making vehicles.

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

Good news! How is it driving? Looking good

It?s driving ok… seems to be missing a few ponies, not many but a few. And the shocks and springs are totally worn so cornering is?nt as fun as it should be. But that is ok, since I need to take care of the side arches first….. due to rubbing of the tires :(. But except from a serious drop of the ride height I?m pretty pleased with the looks of the car. Not as happy with the handling yet. That will be sorted soon though :D, got my eyes set on some FK K?nigsport coilovers :)

vw-man said

nice GTI . I was in Wolfsburg meeting and i heard that you was there some time ago.I hope we meet next year.
know you about mk-1 in sweden for sale in good condition??
engine should be 1,5-1,8 only benzine powered, 2 door body.
let me know on private message. thanks  :wink:

Hi vw-man. Dont know of any Wolfsburg meeting I?m afraid, must have me mixed up with someone else??!!?

There are quite a few of those cars for sale in sweden. If you dont especially want the GTI, you should not have any problems finding a fine low-milage, rust-free car.  Dont know if this helps you but check this well used sellers/buyers page out www.blocket.se. Asking price for such a car seems to be around 7-800 quid, or about 1000?

The 1.1 engine was only available the very first years of the production. The 1.3 have never been sold in Sweden. So the majority of the cars have the engines you wish for :).

Cheers

/Mike

-94 Audi S2 RS Avant

Back to the top
An early christmas happened today. Both brand new coilovers and a used drivers seat arrived at my home :D

The above did not seem to work… so here is a loooong link to the same picture:
http://se.msnusers.com/_Secure/0WAAAAOMZ3GfugvYCrlQ5gDOXMDeH7kqHpqf8qbJW6pLlNTDXyMawp*0SNgyIgFXkEwhBS23a7PRZRBacq3zVLJ7iukco9etS72dJgPthPU!mOdmH1qS5SU2m!ebOOBZ5AAAAAAAAAAA/179-new_2005-08-01-coilover.jpg?dc=4675533206113330387

Cheers

/Mike

-94 Audi S2 RS Avant

Back to the top
I like this! What make are your coilovers??? FK's?

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

I like this! What make are your coilovers??? FK's?

I thought so to, when I got them at a really nice price on Ebay. But they are instead named Formel K, a somewhat cheaper setup. List price on them are 499 EUR.

Formel K are them self selling on ebay.de and I got them for 334 EUR (+shipping 30EUR). Well it can?t be worse than the 21 year old original setup which currently are on the car :D.

Also the dampers are easily removed so if I don?t like the setup, a set of adjustable konis could perhaps be talked into jumping down the tube instead?? ;)

/Mike

-94 Audi S2 RS Avant

Back to the top
i'd say they'll do the job fine..

Back to the top
kroegarn I've got to say your car looks ace! Lovely and clean nice work my friend. :clap:
Did you fund your new goodies with the chrome bumber sales?

Keep us up to date. :wink:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.