Skip navigation

Brake compensator.

Back to the top

Brake compensator.

Thanks guys - reassuring to hear  :D . I did consider just taking it out of the circuit and joining the pipes - coincidentally I do have a firm set of Bilsteins on the car at the mo as well.

However, I'm inclined to keep things reasonably original and do plan to return to stock suspension at some point so I may as well put a replacement in. Sounds like if I can scrape together the pennies then just replacing all the brake pipework at one go may actually be the easiest option. Should save having to worry about undoing seized connectors at any rate.

If I do the compensator, replace all solid brake lines with copper ones (automec kit), and do all the flexi pipes with braided ones I am probably looking at close to 150 - 200 quid all in <gulp>. Having said that once they are done and the system is bled I shouldn't have to worry about them again and maybe I'll get a marginally better braking setup afterwards too.

Its only money after all  :roll:

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
Let us know how you get on with that pipe kit Chris!

good luck with it

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Will do, but don't hold your breath - I like to deliberate about things like this for a while before actually DOING anything about them :wink: .

Road tax runs out today, so have temporarily declared the golf SORN whilst I decide what I am going to do next.

Chris

Back to the top

ChrisB said

If I do the compensator, replace all solid brake lines with copper ones (automec kit), and do all the flexi pipes with braided ones I am probably looking at close to 150 - 200 quid all in <gulp>. Having said that once they are done and the system is bled I shouldn't have to worry about them again and maybe I'll get a marginally better braking setup afterwards too.
quote]

Chris,
         I recently replaced all my brake lines and fitted braided flexible lines as well and it did not cost anything like ?150. Instead of paying for someone else to supply the pipe and fittings just buy a roll of copper tube and some fittings and make them up yourself. It's not as hard as it sounds. If you have the skills to replace the pipes in the first place then I'm sure you can strangle a few lengths of tube into shape. To get a real professional finish invest in a tube bender, @?12 from many motor factors. Use your old ones as they come off as patterns for the new one's.
The access to the rear pipes is limited and I found I needed to buy another 14mm spanner and cut/bend it to gain access. I also needed to buy a "Crows foot" spanner if you know what I mean. Again these are only a few quid. The pipe that runs from left to right along the rear of the car from the Compensator I made up and then cut it in two to get it fitted and used a coupling to join the two together.
If you want any advice or pics I'm only happy to help.

Simon :)

'83 Mars Red GTI

Back to the top
Thanks Simon. Anyone got any recommendations (or "avoids" for that matter) for flaring kits? Is one from MachineMart going to do the job or should I be looking at something a bit more upmarket?

My costings above were including the replacement brake compensator which even for a GSF one is about 60 quid including VAT. That if anything is what really puts the cost up. I think I will go down the DIY route though as a few people have said its pretty straight forward. Where do people source the correct diameter / type of pipe and fittings from? I seem to remember someone mentioning you want to go for the copper - nickel type stuff rather than just copper to avoid the work hardening problem.

Cheers,

Chris

Back to the top
Chris,
          All the tube and fittings are metric. I thinks the unions are M10x1.5 standard stuff. The tube you want is of the Kunifer variety. I have bought two flaring tools in the past one cheap and one middle of the road price and I can say you will get what you pay for.

Simon :)

'83 Mars Red GTI

Back to the top
OK, with the annual meet looming large and the fact that I have managed to secure a new job today  :D , have decided its a good excuse to blow the budget and sort the braking out  :wink: .

Have ordered the compensator valve from GSF along with a full set of braided brake pipes. Tomorrow I will ring up Automec and order their copper - nickel brake pipe kit for the Mk1 with compensator.

I know that people have recommended getting the tools and doing it myself, but realistically for halfway decent tools and raw materials its going to work out more expensive as I don't plan on doing this again in a hurry  8O .

So the only other things I need to know is what other tools / parts should I replace at the same time. I notice that the bleed nipples and rear brake cylinders are cheap - is it worth doing these at the same time? I don't have a huge budget for this, but don't want to miss out on doing small things for the sake of a few quid.

Also do I need some kind of special brake spanner tool for tightening the unions up for example?

Also how do you know how tight to do things up on re-assembly?

Hopefully the parts will arrive next week, so the plan is to fit them and try and get the car through its MOT within the next 2 weeks.

Chris

Back to the top
Chris,

I had to replace 2 of the 4 brake pipes (because 1 snapped replacing the rear cylinder and the other was slightly corroded when it went for the MOT).. I went to one of my local garages who's a mate of my dads… charged me ?10 for each pipe and it's just a case of bending it with your hands!

I was concerned about bending the pipes but was assured that in the years he's been working on cars he's never had a brake pipe kink or snap on him.. I found it very easy and only took about 20 minutes per pipe!

as for how tight… make sure they go do up using your fingers or they'll cross thread (apparently this is easily done), then do them up fairly tight, bleed the brakes, go for a short drive then check for leaks.. well that's what I done but I'm sure everyone has a different method

hope this helps anyway and I haven't made it sound like I'm trying to show you how to suck eggs so to speak  :oops:

Back to the top
Thanks for the info Phil.

The automec pipes are ordered, although there was some confusion over the correct set, but will check carefully before fitting. Ordered one of the brake spanner thingys too.

Got a new compensator and a full set of braided lines on the way from GSF too, plus some bits and bobs from machine mart including a pipe bender.

So with a bit of luck I should be tackling the job next week. No doubt I'll be back on here with questions if things don't go according to plan!!!

Chris

Back to the top
Fair play! you might find the connections from the rigid pipe to flexi on top of the axle a bit of a pain!

Back to the top
Interestingly you never hear later "Cabriolet" drivers moaning about them because they have them on the master cylinder not stuck under the rear floor

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.