Skip navigation

16000 mile helios campaign.........

Back to the top

16000 mile helios campaign.........

I spoted this and posted it as 'A100UOM For Sale'. It is listed in the register. Before I bought my MK1 I visited Tim Brown in Wrexham, he hold me of a MK1 he sold that had only covered 15,000 miles. Could it be one and the same. The price…….  ?15,000 8O

Simon :)

'83 Mars Red GTI

Back to the top
I might buy it. I average about 20,000 per year, I never look after my cars much so it would be average with dents, scratches and mcdonalds/ kentucky fried chicken boxes all over the interior.
 Whats the point of buyin a car and not using. Thats like havin a d**k and not havin sex. I just dont get it but then 'I've never had that amount of money to invest.

mk1 silver campaign totally standard lowered on coilovers magic tree vanilla

Just had a full outer body restore

Back to the top
well looked like it sold then ?????

Back to the top
It would seem that for a 16,000 mile car its had a few owners. Is it so good that people don't want to use it, or has it suffered from long periods of inactivity?

For a guide there was a Fiat dealer on the south coast 2-3 years ago who had an end of line x1/9, unregistered with 80 odd miles on the clock up for 12k.

Back to the top

susan-and-noddy said

well looked like it sold then ?????

It certainly does………….. :lol:

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1996 Mk3 Cab VR6 Turbo Project

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

Mk1 & 16v Golf's Breaking for spares

Back to the top
Only just noticed this thread (three years late) and would like to confirm that A100UOM was one of my old cars. I owned it for just under two years and did use it quite regulary. I went to work in it when the weather was good and drove it to all the shows, it also got used most weekends and even did the supermarket trip when I was feeling brave.
 It was bought by a friend in London for ?15,000 before me who came into some money, after owning it for a year he decided he'd like a new TT. He left it untouched in a garage for another year and thats where I collected it from complete with a years dust. I'd bought the last three mk1 that he'd owned so I knew I'd get a chance at this one sooner or later.
 This was one of the first 'mint' Golfs I had seen when I started going to the GTi shows many years ago and was the one I always wanted to own. I had tried to buy it about 12 years ago but my offer then of ?8000 was beaten by ?500, little did I know how much it was going to appreciate in the next few years. With just 12,000 miles and in the rare Helios Blue to me this was the ultimate Campaign Mk1 Golf. I didn't have any intention of selling it but I had started getting to enjoy a GTi Engineering Golf I had more so I put it up for sale after adding a few trophies to the huge collection it came with. I didn't get ?15,000 unfortunatly but I did get a respectable ?10,000 for it and the same guy who bought it came back the next week and bought a Silver 52,000 mile BR Motorsport Golf Mk1 Campaign of me. The car is now owned by Noddy who is part of the edition 38 crew and from what I've seen he seems to be giving it the pampering it deserves.

Back to the top
Anyone got any pics of it?

the ebay link doesn't work no more…. :(

would like to have seen how good it was

Back to the top
I have pics of that car at inters in 1996 :lol:  it only had simmilar mileage then

in the "classics in colour" 1992 book by ian wagstaff it clearly has body colour painted arch spats on it 8O , so its not quite as it left the factory even if its got black ones on it now!!

very nice car though

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top

Eck said

Anyone got any pics of it?

the ebay link doesn't work no more…. :(

would like to have seen how good it was

Yeah I do.

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
Kins, The picture you have there are when I took it to Bodylwydan where it won a special award for most original mk1. The mileage when I had it was 13,500 ish. It was an amazing car and genuinly was like new inside and out. The gearbox and linkage had zero play and the engine was very tight and really needed more use to free it up a bit. The car had been a show car for the first three years of its life then it was bought by a gentleman for his daughter who didn't like it so it was stored away with its interior removed and wheels of in a barn. There it sat for about eight years until a guy who restores jaguars stumbled accross it. He bought the car and later that year it was offered for sale on BR motorsports display at the GTi Festival.

Topoftherange are you sure its not the lighting or a different car? The Pirelli special edition that came out in Europe the same time as the Campaign had coloured spats but in my opinion it didn't look as good. The first owner was use to showing cars and knew it would have been frowned upon at the shows it entered (and won). He did fit a set of dealer option BBS wheels though instead of the Pirelli's which look so good on Helios blue cars. After he owned it it was stored in a barn till about the time the book was published so no pictures would have been taken then. All the pictures I have of it in its early years it has its original black spats on. Would be interested to know more as they all seemed genuine and untouched when I took them off to put waxoil behind them.

Back to the top
Definately the same car, definately painted arch spats, you should be able to make it out in the picture quite clearly, the book was done in 1992, so the pictures could be any time before that and when it was built!!

When i first saw this car at it Crowthorne inters about 1996 it had about 12k on it 8O  and it did have black arches on then, it was in a line up with some other minty mk1`s, i will see if i can find the photos, heres the ones from the classics in colour book though

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

Back to the top
The pictures certainly do look like its got body coloured arches. Very strange thing to do to such a mint car. Maybe it was a trend that he liked when he took it to one of the German/Dutch shows he attended. These pictures appear to have been taken when it was pretty new as its wearing its original Pirelli wheels. These original wheels where replaced with some BBS wheels then it went back onto later (incorrect) mk2 Pirelli's with the bigger gap.
 The first owner drove the car as a weekend toy and did just under 4k a year, I also drove it regularly but not every day, inbetween the other owners trailered it as does the current owner which is a shame because the joy of owning a car like this is also in the driving. If its not going to be used you may aswell have a peice of art in your garage to admire.

Back to the top
Nice car. Also in my old copies of VW Audi Car - back then the owner fitted a performace exhaust and had some paintwork done. Was owned by Martin Chambers (IIRC).

Banner

Back to the top
Close, your memory is very good! It was John Chambers. It had a BR motorsport back box on it at the time but it wasn't on for long. When I collected it I had to replace the standard back box as lack of use had done it no good, it wasn't blowing justed looked shabby compared with the rest of the car. Underneath the car was given another protective layer previous to his ownership. He didn't use the car much and it was immaculate when he bought it so I cannot see why he would have needed to have had any paint unless he pick up some parking dents or he's unlucky like I was. I left my old Porsche locked up in my garage for a fortnight while a buyer came up with the cash. When he arrived to pick it up I told him I'd stuck to my word and not used it, we opened the garage door to find a shelf had fallen onto it and covered the front end with tins of house paint, some still closed but others opened nicely covering the bonnet with multi coloured emulsion and white gloss.

Back to the top
They are defo painted in the pics, maybe it was ordered like that as they didnt like the black plastics :dontknow:  and then changed late on when "the scene" noticed :lol:

Its sad it dont get driven, trailers are for daimlers/rolls royces that belonged to a king once upon a time and broken down cars

not useable classics, hey even rajan takes the 76 out sometimes :D

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.