Skip navigation

16000 mile helios campaign.........

Back to the top

16000 mile helios campaign.........

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
It certainly does look the business. If it sells for that much it must be a new benchmark and will raise the value of less pristine ones. Great, although, of course, it's not the money, it's everything else about the mark one that makes it special.

Campaign Mk 1 Black

16v Mk2 Red (decsd )

Back to the top
A100OUM - I recognise that reg number from somewhere!

That is beautiful - ?8k and reserve not met - wonder how much he is looking for?!?

Back to the top

helios blue campaign

Hi Kins
And its helios blue – the best!!

(Did you like your roast port yesterday??)
TC

Back to the top

helios blue

meant roast pork!!
TC

Back to the top
Well if I had ?8000+ to spend on a car I would……

well its a lot of dosh for a MK1….. so it would go towards a VX220 :lol:

Does look nice though. Thing is with cars like that they're not fun, you would be scared to drive it and thats not what owning a MK1's is about. (unless you had one for show and one the drive!)

TC I had jacket potatoe and tuna! Cost me nearly a fiver with a packet of crisps!  8O Southern prices :naughty:

Big up the north west massive :cheer:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
Yeah - I know what you mean, if I had that kind of money to spend on a Mk1 I'd probably buy that one (or one in similar condition) but I'd be using it everyday.  Thats the whole point in having a nice car!  Using it.

For ?8k you could buy a Mk1 GTI and a Lancia Delta Integrale and still have money left over…

I think an abolutely mint Mk1 is Mars Red was offered for something like ?9k quite a number of years ago.  It had been stored in a heated garage and was in totally mint condition but it had done 110k miles - these things last if looked after properly - no point in having something and never using it in the way it was intended to be used.

Back to the top
Why would you pay ?8k for a Mk1 if you wanted to use it every day? You could get an immaculate one for less than half that and still be able to use it without losing too much.

I think it would be a shame to spoil it as to have a few low mileage, pristine examples is great for enthusiasts to see what their cars were like new.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
Well if someone in the club ends up with it I think it would be a useful exercise to get a full photo "shoot" of all the details on the car for reference for other Campaign owners.

For the money being asked it should be virually as it left the factory and so everything should be in excellent condition and completely original.

I agree with what others have said though - the fun is in driving these cars, and paying that kind of money and then using the car regularly would probably ensure that you lost a fair wedge of cash in depreciation in a year or two no matter how careful you were. ?8K is a lot more than you would get for even a low mileage regularly used car.

Still, so much is known about the vunerable areas of a Mk1 now that I am sure if you Waxoyled it every year or so in all the vunerable places and kept it garaged it would probably go on for ever  :D .

Good to finally meet a few of you folks on Sunday btw. I didn't take many pics myself, but I know a few of the others did so hopefully those will make it onto the pictures section of the forum too.

Loved Rajan's blue '76 car with the Orange seats - really looked smart.

Cheers,

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
I once spoke to a chap who had a Ferrari.  He had never driven it.  He had one previously and dorve it once but didn't like it so he bought this one purely as an investment - it was in a garage with llike 5 miles on the clock.

An absolute waste of a car - whats the point.  There are better investments - these things were built to be driven.

I fully understand having something in the garage and only bringing it out on a Sunday when the weather is warm and dry but to never use something at all?

Back to the top
I think it's fair enough to keep a car that you love in the garage and never driven, as long as you have another one for daily use of course  :lol:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Whatever this car sells for - the effect will be extra money on the value of each and every single one of our cars so its good in a way.

I remember when you could pick up a small tail light Mk1 with full history from new and a full years MOT in a desirable colour for ?350…

Back to the top
99.99% are driven, the point is to preserve a piece of automotive engineering for people to enjoy and remember whether at shows or museum, etc

I doubt anyone would buy purely as an investment though not losing too much is certainly a factor.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
Personally I would pay ?8K for an original if was as new just to drive it and get 20 years worth of use out of it. Aside from a full nut and bolt resto, its probably as close as you can get to driving a Mk1 in "as new condition".

My guess is it would be easy to spend that much on a full resto if you did things properly and at the end of the day the result would still not be as original as something like this car.

If I was thinking of spending new car money (i.e ?7K+) on a modern hatch then surely this represents more fun, more style, better handling and no less performance for the same money. Its nearly as practical too  :wink:

Thats probably just me though….. I am sure the idea of "windy up windows" and no power steering would just be too much for some people…. bless 'em  :roll:

Chris

Back to the top
There is a 3rd option at that price - get a brand new CitiGolf 1.6i direct from South Africa...

Back to the top
Call me stylistically challenged, but there is something about that late 70's era stripey seats and sea of black plastic vinyl that just does it for me  :wink:

Also with the best will in the world I don't think the build / material quality on the Citigolfs is quite what is was on the original cars?

I'd still goe for the original myself :mrgreen:

Chris

Back to the top
The SA CitiGolf is more like ?10k once imported and duty paid. That's for the nearest equivalent which is hardly the same IMO. Plus the value of CitiGolf imports drop like stones…

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
Very true.  I just meant if you were going to spend ?9k on a car to use everyday…

That car has to be my ultimate Mk1 - I love the Helois Blue campaigns best.  If I had it I'd want it with the 15" Pirelli wheels and the Zender 3 piece roof spoiler and it would be so loved and cherished it wouldn't ever dare deteriorate in condition…

Back to the top
have you seen the silver one in the back ground of the thrid pic ?????????

Back to the top
This same auction was also being discussed here:

The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

with some interesting comments on the history of the car. I have locked that thread as it was the shorter one so we can keep the discussion in one place so to speak.

Worth reading the info on the other thread but please put all follow up in this thread to keep things together.

Thanks,

Chris

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.