Skip navigation

The quest for capacity-Audi 2.0 8V conversion how's it done?

Back to the top

The quest for capacity-Audi 2.0 8V conversion how's it done?

cool, cheers for that.
 can i ask how much you paid for your stage 5 head?
 if not no worries dude.

cheers
jon

1983 mk1 gti 2.0l 2e powered
newman cam
ported, polished, big valve 1.8 head
audi throttle body
SWWWWEEEEEETTTTTTTT

Back to the top
Think I paid about ?400 ( I really cant remember) but it was a one off clearnace sale.

Your best bet is to ring them up and see what they can do for you.

The number is 01434250372

Let me know how you get on…….

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
hows it going kins?

Have been in Gems (Mr V Wagen ) at ACE cafe meet and its quality!  Mad as a bag of cats!

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
After getting Tim Stiles Book for chrimbo its kind of sparked my interest to get cracking on the 2.0 8v conversion. Thanks Tim! :lol:

So I went down to where the engine is stored and removed the inlet manifold. I've brought it home along with my Audi 5 cylinder throttle body to clean up, bore out and pollish.

I've taken off the throttle body off the manifold and compared it to the Audi 5 cylinder effort and it seams to be the right one….. which is nice :D

So I'm going to clean it with gunk and then get busy with the drimmel.

The inlet manifold needs to be modified so the smaller diameter venturi flows nicely into the manifold.

I'll get some pictures posted soon with the results. :wink:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top

ManicGTI said

hows it going kins?

Have been in Gems (Mr V Wagen ) at ACE cafe meet and its quality!  Mad as a bag of cats!

Hi Manic I've not been in Mr V's yet. I'll have to see if we can meet up at a show or something. I'm really interested to see what the results will be like.  :P

How does it feel compared to your valver? :dontknow:

Back to the top
This could be the slowest engine conversion in the world.....I bet you I have mine converted before yours!!!

Back to the top
Hey so what if I'm taking my time over this! The reason I'm in no hurry is because I want to get this conversion done properly.

Firstly the original engine that's in mine is soooo sweet. It's had a reconditioned head on it, no smoke, not a rattle it?s a good un.

Secondly I'm in my final year at Uni and to be honest I don't have the money or time to rush this project.

So what if you could have a conversion done before I finish mine. I'm in no rush! :wink:

Back to the top

kins said

Hey so what if I'm taking my time over this! The reason I'm in no hurry is because I want to get this conversion done properly.

Firstly the original engine that's in mine is soooo sweet. It's had a reconditioned head on it, no smoke, not a rattle it?s a good un.

Secondly I'm in my final year at Uni and to be honest I don't have the money or time to rush this project.

So what if you could have a conversion done before I finish mine. I'm in no rush! :wink:

Don't worry mate I'm only pulling your leg! I have only just started out in my own "quest for capacity" so it could be a LONG time before mine is running too! In the meantime, I haven't even used my car (in standard form) as it is so I may well spend a bit of time just enjoying driving it, before it gets taken off the road. I appreciate I am lucky in the repsect that its my 2nd car and it gets 'pampered'.

Back to the top
TBH my valver is running low on power at the mo, needs KR cams and all the timeing/fueling etc all set-up.

A few ACE cafes ago I had a blat in MR Vs 2.0 8V then G6orges 2.0 16V and there just so different its difficult to tell, Mr Vs is manic, a proper grin inducer. G6orges is more refined and needs some stick to get going, but then it takes off, guess thats the name of the game with valvers.

Good plan taking your time :D , means you can have it more or less how you want it.  wish I could have done that.

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
There's only 0.1 between me(14.6) and g60rge(14.7) at Santa Pod…. I'll be looking to increase the difference this year :wink:  :mrgreen: lol!

I think g60rge had a head gasket blow before xmas so he'd have put in his KR cams for the next 1/4 mile run. Should be a good laugh, anyone got a towing rope? :lol:

Manic, the boys off PVW are doing a rolling road shoot out at TSR in the beginning of February, fancy any of that? Only round the corner from you!

Back to the top
:(

I'd love to but I dont think i'm going to have time to put the cams and/or get it set-up before then.  The lads at Storm developments (they changed my outer cvs this week, didnt have time myself) said it felt 'well down on power' as it hadnt been set-up. Such is life, bet I end up finding i've put a knackered engine in.  :roll:

does it take long to change cams in a 16V?

Back to the top
It's not difficult for a man of your talent :wink:  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
alright lads, cams r in and boy does it pull harder! mr manic i strongly advise u to get them swapped! :wink:

Back to the top
LOL! Roll on GTI Festival :wink:

Back to the top
Have a look at this! For those that haven't seen it, there's a video of a 2.1 litre MK1 on there. It's got a 4+E gearbox in it for longer ratios. It looks like a flyer :D

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73317&PN=1&TPN=1

MK1 GTI Campaign
MK2 GTI 8v
Imitation Magic Tree - 'Black Ice' smell
Plenty of rust
Embarrasing fuel problem
Porous cooling system!

Back to the top
It is a real flyer and after a ride flat out the reason i got my mk1 check out this link for the full spec (my cars are on there too but its a pre resto pic) , for seroiusly quick check out 'jody's rallye' i know its a mk2 but this is as fast as i ever want to go in an old Dub

Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

Racing is life . Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen

Back to the top
Can't beat cubic inches. Now, if I could only suss out how to fit this 25480 litre engine into my Golf:

Back to the top
Think you might need a set of uprated front springs for that  :lol:

Back to the top
Think you might need a set of uprated front springs for that  :lol:

Back to the top
Might just effect your bhp/ton too :wink: !

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.