Skip navigation

Steering Rack Boot

Back to the top

Steering Rack Boot

Mk1 Gti Cabriolet 1988 just noticed the steering rack boot that sits behind the down pipe on the exhaust is completey cream crackered.

Any idea how easy these are to change, is a pain to get to but possible. But do I have to start undoing the steering rack etc.

Cheers

Back to the top
All you need to do is undo the tie rod end and slide on the new boot. Before you go any further inspect the ball joint that it attached to the end of the rack, if there is any play renew both tie rods.

Back to the top
Right will have a look and see, pray for no play, and nip to GSF for a boot. Just got to find time to fit it now. :?

Back to the top
By the sounds of it you mean the boot that goes vertically instead of the 2 that go horizontally?

The replacement of that is a bit different. Its still possible with the rack in place and the down pipe still on. You may need to remove the heat shield from the down pipe though. I changed mine on my '88 cab a couple of weekends ago.

You need to remove the steering driveshaft with UJs on that joins the rack and the steering column together, this is what is protected by the boot.

Remove the nut and bolt at the botom of the steering column and the nut and bolt at the rack. Then you need to slide the driveshaft off the splined shaft of the steering rack end first (it may need a bit of force to remove it but be careful not to damage the UJs). You should then be able to remove the boot without taking the shaft off at the steering column end. You may want to remove the driveshaft completely to give it a clean though.

My boot had split due to the down pipe heat shield being missing. Has yours got one?

I'd known my boot was split for years but kept putting the job off! I ended up getting play and binding in my steering.
Water had got in over the years but had not damaged the UJs as I first thought, it had found its way into the rack by the splined shaft and caused the rack to wear. When I prised back the horizontal boots on the rack rusty water came dribbling out!

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Ross

Back to the top
And I thought it was looking like being a 5 minute job. What are UJ's????

Did you get a heat shield from somewhere as this is why mine has gone as its all crispy with the heat. IF I've got to replace the boot would be nice to whack a heat shield on so I don't have to think about doing it again.

Well when I get chance will take another look and see how long this might take me, its times like this that you need a pit.

Am thinking I  might whack a heat shield on gaffer tape it up and turn it round a bit until I got more time.

Back to the top
My rack started "Sticking" and not centralising itself when sitting in traffic jams (getting too hot). I made up a heat shield to protect the rack from the heat of the four branch and it stopped immediately!

If you can't get a heat shield, it won't be difficult to make one up out of a bit of B&Q Aluminium sheet or something…

Back to the top
Right got some thin galvanised steel knocking about so will look in to it where and how did you connect it????

Back to the top
Sorry…. UJs are Universal Joints

I got a new heatshield from VW, it cost about ?25 +vat and then you have a couple of nuts and bolts on top of that to attach it to the down pipe. its shown on Etka if you have a copy and this will help you make one if you wanted. They are quite simple really but the time it would take you to make one the right shape you might as well have gone and bought one.

I wouldn't use gaffa tape, it will probably melt due to the high temp and then you'll have a bit of metal knocking around, potentially ripping other rubber boots etc.

Cheers,

Ross

Back to the top
Yeah guessed in the end when I read again that a UJ was a Universal joint.  :lol:

Right well will perhaps have a good look over the weekend, then go get me self a boot from GSF and order in a heat shield from VW as haven't got ETKA whatever it may be. Then all I got to do is plan when I might tackle the job.

Cheers for all the help will let you know how I get on when I get round to doing it. :D

Back to the top
Agree - would be much easier to buy one that's meant for the job.

I attached mine using the bolt on the underside of the gear linkage bracket - You'll see see what I mean when under the car.
Can't remember what I did up the top end - possibly a cable tie…  :oops:

Back to the top
Ross,

You got a pic you could upload of the heatshield.

Here is a pic showing the heatshields for both tintop and cab (with later clip type exhaust).

Cheers

Rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
I can get a pic bit it won't be until the weekend as I'm in London for the rest of the week on a course. I can get part numbers then too.

The ETKA part description says you need 2 of the bolt numbered 28 on the diagram of the cabrio heatshield but you only need 1 as the diagram suggests! I couldn't see where to put the other anyway!

You will have to remove the part of the gear linkage mechanism and its mount thats bolted to the steering rack if you want to fit the heatshield without removing the down pipe. There just isn't the clearance to get it on any other way, its no big deal though, just fiddly. This applies to the cabrio/later type heatshield anyway.

Ross

Back to the top
Christ this gets more complex by the minute, part number would be good as local Vag dealers are a bit rubbish. :?

Also my Exhaust is held on with C type clamps does this make any difference??? And is it easier to remove the gear linkage or the exhaust. :dontknow:

Cheers

Back to the top
The bottom diagram is the C clip type exhaust

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Don't think mines got that bottom plate on either. :cry:

Back to the top
Its much easier to remove the gear linkage than the exhaust.

Mine doesn't have the bottom plate either. i'm not sure what its for, i've not looked into it. Catalytic converter possibly? looks like its in the wrong place for that though.

Back to the top
Right down to GSF to get the boot ?32.90  :cry:  nearly fell on the floor.

Get home car up on jack, they've sold me the wrong boot, can't remember the last time I went to GSF and got the right part. Anyway got to wait until Tues now. But have cut the old one of so I get the right one.

Have made a heatshield so thats all good although was a complete pain in the arse.

Couple of questions to get the boot on do I undo the 2 bolts that seem to be holding the splined part to the driveshaft. And do I also undo the nut fixing the UJ to the splined part. Should the UJ then seperate of the splined part so I can slide the boot on. Does the UJ have to go on exactly the same on the spline so should it be marked.

Cheers for the help guys. Now got no boot on at all but do have a heatshield. :banghead:

Back to the top
Here are some pics of the genuine heatshield, they show how it bolts to the down pipe.

The boot cost ?12.59 +VAT from VW - part number 172 419 523
The Heatshield cost ?22.70 +VAT - part number 161 253 701

Couple of questions to get the boot on do I undo the 2 bolts that seem to be holding the splined part to the driveshaft. And do I also undo the nut fixing the UJ to the splined part. Should the UJ then seperate of the splined part so I can slide the boot on. Does the UJ have to go on exactly the same on the spline so should it be marked.

Just undo the nut fixing the UJ to the splined part and remove the bolt. You'll have to undo the nut and bolt from the other UJ inside the car at the end of the steering column. This will allow enough movement for you to slide the UJ off the spline at the steering rack end so you can put the new boot on.

It would be a good idea to mark the UJs and spline, if you dont get them back in exactly the right place then your steering wheel wont be straight. I didnt mark mine, I just took the steering wheel off and realigned it that way.

Cheers,

Ross

Back to the top
Cheers buddy, really helpful info and thanks for the part numbers this way I'm going to get the right bits this time.

Perhaps with the money I save from the boot I'll splash out on a proper heatshield.

Thanks again, will let you know how I get on.

PS Just checked the boot I bought and they've given me 192 instead of 172. Stupid GSF :(

Back to the top
I have this problem too! When I test drove the car the steering was heavy and did not return to centre when you let go of wheel while driving. On closer inspection found knackered boot and no heat shield!! I ve greased up the join for now and thats improved things, got to attack this job next week after i return from BVF. Are those part numbers good for an 83 MK1 GTi? Cheers lads
Sam
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.