Skip navigation

Walt's 'find' - L reg Rivage with 10k !!

Back to the top

Walt's 'find' - L reg Rivage with 10k !!

I am hosting these pics and posting on 'Walt's' behalf (having problems getting stuff on here).

Here is an extract of the email he sent along with the images:

"………… I came across this one purely by chance! While on the auto trader website (which was a godsend as now I could search the whole country) I forgot to input a maximum and minimum price! As I said I am not computer literate! Low and behold this one came up for ?8000. I called immediately! It was in a VW approved second hand car dealers M J Warner in Hertfordshire! We started the conversation where it would ultimately end up! Price….?7300…So I gave him ?300 over the phone as a deposit just so I could at least get to see it, fully returnable should the car be anything other than perfect!
      I took my friend Mick another car buff ( conv merc 320 slk and dax cobra 5 litre V8) We looked at the body for an hour and a half and could only find a couple of tiny honest stone chips! So we took it for a spin! Brakes were crap, all glazed over as it had only done 1k in the previous 7 years! When we got back we put it up on a ramp and had a good half hour looking at the underside! Again perfect, just a little honest rust dusting the edge of the wishbones! There were cobwebs on the engine! This was just how I always wanted to find one! The tonneau cover was still in the original plastic bag in the boot along with 4 original brochures and a set of brand new unopened, still on the hanger, genuine volkswagon embossed mats! Even the keys were unmarked! It has been serviced by VW 5 times prior to me buying it and I have had a cambelt and brake fluid change done by VW. I also changed the oil, dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs etc When I first cleaned it I took the seat down to clean inside the boot and around and under the back seat! Plastic came out of the locks on the seat! Thats why the hood cover still had its plastic bag, it was unused! The car still has the sticker over the fuel tank saying "98 leaded or unleaded" It has done now 10245 miles and is still on it's original p600s. None of the wheels are marked….at all…In fact the car could be passed off as 1 month old seriously! I honestly believe this is the best Rivage left in existance! I wish now that when I changed the brakes and all the plugs etc that I had kept them all because other than the oil, brke fluid, oil filter and air filter, the car was complete from factory! At the time I didn't know what I know now!!!! ………………..

………… the history of the previous owner! He was a 45 year old bloke who lived with his mum (didn't work from what I can gather) in a mansion type huge house! He bought the car from 3 months old! He also had a golf estate to do all his pottering about! In 2002 he bought a colour concept convertible in black so he drove that one probably because of the creature comforts, power steering etc! They were both garaged all their lives and never taken out in the rain! He traded both the colour concept with 5400 miles on the clock and the rivage for a convertible beetle in light blue! No comment!……………………."

I am JEALOUS !!!

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
My mouth is dry cos I've just drawled all the drawl I can muster!

Find of a lifetime? I think so!

Thats the sort you'd be scared to take out the garage and on edge when driving it.

I'm extremely jealous too. Wanna sell it?!!! :lol:  

Ross

Back to the top
u know u see on ebay those ads stating 'Mint' and 'Rare' well i think this is one of the few things that would live up to the description.

Cracking find - it does look like new!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Wow!  8O  Dribble!  :clap: Nice find! :cheer:

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
I know this Car,

And to say its Mint is a understatement.

It's like looking at a New Car.

German Assault Vehicle

Back to the top
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:notworthy:

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top

My rivage!

Ah… you guys!!!! You say the nicest things!! Seriosly though, the more people I speak to, the more scared I am of driving it!!! Someone asked me for a picture of the engine bay the other week, think it was Ross! He wanted to see how all the cables and pipes were run to help him with putting his own back together! I don't know how to put pictures on here, I'm crap with computers (prowler had to help me last time) But.. If this would help anyone else then I can send you the photo's and maybe someone who knows what they are doing can put it on here!! Just a thought! Cheers….Walt!

Back to the top
I bet the MFA works on that minter :wink:

Nice one Walt.

Back to the top

my rivage

I presume so! Only done a few hundred miles in it! The heated seats work well enough….Sweet jesus! Burn't my delicate little bott cheeks!….Walt!

Back to the top
Walt…….email pics to me, I'll host them…………..

NOW…….as we seem to have an 'untouched' late car it will be worth having all the pics we can get, of everything………
…….doesn't take long to take a dash out and put it back…. in :lol:  :lol:  :twisted:  :lol:  :lol:

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
Keep clear of car parks Walt!

Back to the top

Back to the top

rivage!

Don't you worry it will be staying well away from car parks!!! Why is it that people think nothing of just opening their door into your car? I don't think I have ever done that to anyone!! Not even by accident in a wind because I have always been conscious of it? The thought makes me sick!!! ..Walt!

Back to the top
Well done at all types matey.

German Assault Vehicle

Back to the top
Excellent example of the best car VW ever produced there Walt! And a lovely story of how you found it - yer jammy bugger! :wink:

Surprised to see it wasn't one of the limited leather editions though - especially as it's on an L plate!

Seeing all these lovely Cabbys is really causing me to doubt selling mine now! :?

Col.

Mk1 Rivage Cabriolet - the best car VW ever made!

Check out: www.rivagecabriolet.com

Back to the top
Congratulations Walt! It's gorgeous! For goodness sake don't leave it in a car park unattended…some silly old woman is just waiting to back into it in an automatic having 'stamped on the wrong pedal'!
 :twisted: Enjoy!  8)

Back to the top
What a car, amazing condition. A superb finding :)

Does it have electric windows or what are those buttons almost visible in the centre console?

/Mike

-84 GTI Mars red (campaign)

-94 Audi S2 RS Avant

-98 VW Passat Variant TDI

Back to the top
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do we have a 'green with envy' icon?? :wink:

Nice one Walt

Ian

'89 Clipper Auto and '92 GTI Cabby

Back to the top

Walts find!

Yeah it has electric windows, power hood heated seats, all the luxury's! In fact bugger it I'm going out in it this afternoon!  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
sweet baby jesus n the orphans :)

1272 driver with a magic tree!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.