Skip navigation

Misfiring & pulling injectors

Back to the top

Misfiring & pulling injectors

On top a slipping clutch, my GTI started misfiring erratically and running on 3 cylinders yesterday :banghead: . Checked HTs - seem fine, feels like a fuelling problem. Car will misfire when idling and at low revs with medium throttle. Misfire appears to disappear at above 4000 rpms and more power comes in and when cruising along at 40 mph + with minimal throttle - any ideas?

Thought I would give Prowler's injector test a go, but cannot get any of the injectors out? Did prep with a bit of WD40, but they seem incredibly tight. Had tried with long nose pliers pivoted on rocker cover, but the keep slipping - tried pulling out by hand, no joy :dontknow: .

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Don't be afraid to pull harder than you dare ! They will eventually come out .
If your running the car have you tried a good injector / fuel cleaner ? I had sticking injectors and rough running , gave the car a good dose of Redex cleaner , a few 100 miles later and no more problems . I always run my Mk1 with fuel cleaner in every forth tank of juice

Cheers …..

Back to the top
Lots of WD40, give them a good 'waggle' and pull hard (but pull them straight). You might end up with the seals left in the head insert, but they'll come out easy withe a small screwdriver or strong bent wire (coathook wire).

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top

Injectors

If all else fails, grip the injector bodies with 'Mole' grips, then prise them out using a large screwdriver between the cam cover and the Mole grips. Watch out for grazed fingers! To replace them, smear a little vaseline on the seals. New seals can be a good idea. They're only a few pence each.
Geoff

Back to the top
Thanks for your suggestions. Have been trying various methods of trying to pull 4th injector out, but still no luck :? . The injector seems stuck fast and no amount of effort seems to be encouraging it out. I have removed all pipe work around the area. I have also removed the metering head for checking and have all fuel lines out the way. I have tried all removal methods suggested with copious amounts of WD40 :dontknow: .

I did manage to get molegrips nicely positioned on the injector and got good leverage with a big screw driver. I put so much effort on the screwdriver that it started to flex at which point I decided to give up. Unfortunately as I removed the screwdriver the mole grips slipped on the fuel line and bent it at the union that holds the the injector. So now I need a new fuel line :banghead: and still ned to remove the injhector.

Has anyone had similar problems with 'stuck' injectors or have any further tips? Also does anyone know where I can get 4th injector fuel lines? Seen these advertised mail order - can I get them over the counter and how much?

Thanks for any help

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Sorry Markwon - the Mole grips usually work for me. I didn't mean to get you into more difficulty than you're already in! :oops:

If you are removing the damaged pipe, you should be able to wiggle and twist the injector a bit more easily in its housing. Might be worth your trying the Mole Grip method again, but with a sturdy crowbar instead of a screwdriver. A block of wood on the rocker will help prevent denting it.

Don't hurt yourself though! Watch out for the Moles slipping. Eyeshields might be a good precaution.  :roll:

Sorry I can't think of anything more scientific.
Good luck!
Geoff.

Back to the top
No worry's - these things happen :wink: .  When the fuel pipe bent I smelt vapour and as I fiddled with the pipe it snapped off in my hands. Looked pretty old and brittle. Having a rethink on the matter at the moment.

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Methinks yer all too viscious…mole grips indeed!!!

whatcher need is one of these ::

http://www.blauparts.com/tools/injectorpuller.htm

Trouble is I have never found a source in the UK…Blauparts is across t'pond

There are other suppliers over there…got mine from bugpack via "BowWow"

Under Construction bowwow.ca

have shuftee at page 10 in the.pdf

Cheers

Mk1 GTI
B5 Passat Estate 5 SPeed
Riley 1071"S" Elf Mk2  (Bl**dy Hooligan machine!)
Bosch Lawnraker 32

Back to the top
Thanks Superworm, that looks the ticket. Spoke to local Bosch service centre today and they recommeneded such a tool. Have to try and get hold of one? Also wouldn't mind one of the Co adjusting wrenchs listed on the some page.

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Finally managed to get it out yesterday. Made my own injector puller out of a B&Q fence bracket :lol: . Had to to remove rocker cover to get good access to fourth the injector due to throttle cable bracket being in the way. The seal on the injector was rock hard, which explains the difficulty in removing it.

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Markwon

"Made my own injector puller out of a B&Q fence bracket"

hope the picture helped!

Methinks Rich is going to have a go at sourcing some of these tools when he has half a mo.

At Bugpack there are all sorts of handy tools for we markwoners (and tooers!)

Keep an eye on his site

http://golfmk1.co.uk

Cheers

Mk1 GTI
B5 Passat Estate 5 SPeed
Riley 1071"S" Elf Mk2  (Bl**dy Hooligan machine!)
Bosch Lawnraker 32

Back to the top
Still got one left in that won't budge. The seals on the other three were as hard as bullets.

Might have a go this afternoon if I'm feeling strong as I bent me grips yesterday. And there supposed to come out by hand, :mrgreen:

Any idea how often these seals are supposed to be changed.

Back to the top
Any idea how often these seals are supposed to be changed.

Before they go hard and won't come out…doh.

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
Gathered that mate, but not long had the car so weren't my fault. :?  and didn't want it to happen again.

Back to the top
Seeing as they're so cheap (and so much trouble when hardened), I change mine every 2-3 years, or whenever they feel a bit harder than they should.

Back to the top
Thought I'd revive this thread as I'm having the same trouble, does anyone have one of these tools I could buy or borrow. Since I imagine after the first time you use it it's kind of redundant as you replace your polo mints with nice rubber donuts!
I'm trying to change my head gasket and I keep hitting these little brick walls. Following poor richard's rabit book to the word but I've removed the intake manifold to get a better angle on the bl**dy injectors.

Back to the top
Tried to find one of these tools in the uk myself, but no luck. Steve Matthews posted somwhere else that these are available from snap-on tools.

Here's a picture of the one I made out of a B&Q fence bracket :lol: . 20 mins with a hacksaw and pretty much perfect tool for the job. The area circled to the right slides onto the neck of the injector and you put a pry bar/large screwdriver through the circle on the left.

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Just found this page too, with someone elses homemade job!
http://www.thebugshop.org/bsntt.htm

Back to the top
Good find there - sure I recall someone posting a nifty design for a homemade pipe bender on here a long time ago - anyone :dontknow:

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
where did you guys get the injector seals from?

Cheers
Steve
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.