Mk1 resto - list of items completed now added

Back to the top

Mk1 resto - list of items completed now added

yes.. get some pics up, get cracking and get it on the road  :lol:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top

Re: MK1 Resto Update + Help needed!

o said

I need to find someone who knows Mk1's who's prepared to tie up the loose ends for me for cash, so if anyone knows anyone please let me know as work commitments mean i'm unable to do this myself at the moment :(

What needs doing to it? Do you have a list?

Back to the top
Hi all,

A list is a good idea, here goes..

Side decals applying
Arches attaching
Sunroof fixing (Come off its runners/bit of the mechanism broken)
Immoboliser removed and dashboard reassembled
Sort dodgy earth to indicators/lights
Fix small oil leak by the oil cooler pump (Needs small gasket, ill probably sort this myself)
A good clean-up
Generally get it through an MOT

I can get the small amount of bodywork done once its been MOT'd and also get the driver's seat repaired too.

Doesn't sound like much to me which is promising. If I think/remember anything else i'll let you know.

o :)

Too many to list but 2 x 1982 Golf GTi 1.6 hatches are the main ones

Back to the top
Hey all, long time no speak (in this thread at least!)

For those of you who know me you'll have heard about me banging on about getting my green one finished some day - we'll yesterday that dream got one stop closer!

Since "Finishing" my vast Mk1 resto in June 2005 the car has been sitting in a garage near my uncle's place feeling a bit sory for itself.

About 6 months ago my dad told me he was building a new extension to include a 3 car garage. Naturally, since he only had two cars at the time I called shot-gun on the third and set to work preparing my green one for the move.

The new garage has loads of space and will shortly have a work bench, excellent lighting and full power supply for all the drills, etc that i'll need to get the job completed fully.

So, yesterday my good mate James (Cheers for the help fella!) borrowed his god fathers Discovery, I borrowed a trailer and we went to transfer the Golf over to my dads place (About 30 miles away).

Trip went without a hitch (boom boom!) and the car is now snug in its new home for the next few months while I finish the remaining few jobs.

Loading up the RA's into the boot

All coupled up and ready to go

290ish bhp V8, Harmon Kardon stereo, 7 seats and 19mpg!

Does she look nervous? I sure as heck was!!!

Backing up my dads drive was tricky…..

As was unbolting the car from the hitch afterwards!

Nearly there….

And there she is in her nice new home, keeping my dads (filthy) Octavia vRS company. He's already asked if he can have the honour of running her in when she's finished (Only done 6 miles since new engine rebuild!)

Any comments much appreciated and I look forward to bring her to a meet once she's done!

Cheers,

Back to the top
Nice garage to work from!

If this MK1 ends up as good as the Helios one it will be a stunner :wink:

Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Cheers Andy,

It should be far better to be honest - I've spent enough already!  :lol:  :banghead:

Back to the top
looks like it was lovely weather as usual!

nice car!

Back to the top
:roll: well it's about time! :lol:

that's a garage most of us dream about  8)

so we going to see it at a berkshire meet soon?

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
Ah yes - the garage is all nice and new looking now but won't be for long  :lol:

Yep, will get her down to a meet asap. She hasn't started in 18 months so thats the first job - get her going!

Back to the top

mk2/1

I think I used to own that Mk 2 you have Oak Green 16V Without sounding too mosey how long have you had it I cant quite make the reg out...Anyway great job of the Mk 1 looks great well done

Back to the top
ummmm, not sure what the reg was on that one - it was a 5 door oak green, H401 something.

Again, a great car and I do miss it!

Back to the top
Hey all!

Couldn't wait to get cracking fixing up the car so popped up to me dad's house on Sunday to get going.

First thing to do was replace the leaking oil remote seal…

- now all sorted and only took 5 mins  :mrgreen:

I did manage to christen my dads new garage floow with lots of spilled anti-freeze too - I removed radiator top hose for better access.

Ah well, sorry dad!

Next I went to replace the temperature switch, only to realise that GSF had sent me a thermostat insted  :banghead:  :roll:   Ah well, it was never going to be plain sailing now was it? :dontknow:

Next up was cleaining out all the stuff in the car and giving it a darn good wash inside and out. It looks great now - just how it did when it came out of the bodyshop in fact!  :mrgreen:

Then came the removal of the front carpet section. Its badly eaten away on the passenger side but underneath the floor was great, no rust anywhere so all good! I'm after a new carpet now so if anyone can help gimme a shout.

Also now fitted the new (well, very good used) bonnet - it went on first time (virtually!).

Old one off…

New one on!

Started filling the minor kerbing damage on the RA's so they'll be ready to sand, primer and topcoat when I next go up there.

Also re-attached indicator properly (Should have done that right first time  :oops: ) and charged up the battery. No good though - still wouldn't start so me thinks i'll be boshing in a new Bosch battery next time. Also popped on a new distributer cap as the old one was looking grubby compared to the rest of the engine bay.

Cheers and any comments welcome as always!

o  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Pix added and just purchased a new battery and temp switch - should be fitted very soon I hope!

Back to the top
looking good mate.

Is that a chromed air pipe i see?

Back to the top
good work!

Back to the top
Cheers guys,

Nah, not chromed - just very clean!  :D

Sshould be working on her next weeked - will keep you posted on progress.

She's being much less trouble than my Cav at the moment, here :)

o  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Hey all,

Little update - SHE STARTS!

After 18 months not so much as cranking the car started first time! I connected the battery, disconnected the main coil lead and let it crank a few times to make sure all sounded well and to get a bit of oil pressure in there.

I then reconnected the coil lead and it started half way through the first crank!  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  I'm chuffed to bits with that.

Running for the first time in ages!

Out and about under her own steam.

I took her down the drive and back and she drove great! The brakes are shocking though (will get these looked at) and she still has a few bits doing before going for her MOT.

I'm going up to work on her again tomorrow and to get the wheels nearer completion, i'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers, and any comments welcome!

Back to the top
Tis a great feeling isn't it!

Can't wait to get some time to put the valver in mine now and hopefully will have a similar experience to you (without the 18 months in the middle!!!)

Back to the top
Know the feeling although mine was only 6 months! Good work. A change of brake fluid and rear shoe adjustment should help a lot on the brakes. Mine are great now apart from the long pedal travel...

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
Well done, its a good milestone in a restoration. I know the feeling well!!! Hopefully not-too-long until its all complete and road-legal, etc.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.