Skip navigation

The MK1 GTI!! New Owner!

Back to the top

The MK1 GTI!! New Owner!

Hi there,

I'm actually from ClubCalibra.com but having almost acquired a Mk1 GTI I'm very excited to learn whether or not I have a good deal?

Basically my neighbour needs a quick sale due to a house move, and so he's offered me the following…

VW Golf MK1 GTI (1.8)
1985 ('A plate') with 100k on clock
White Cabrio electric hood
Full white leather interior, immaculate
Dash with digital display, trip computer etc
Four new tyres, alloys
CD headunit and 6 disk changer
All original fittings, doorpins and gearknob etc
New MOT, not taxed

The cars immaculate, tiny bit of bubble on one of the rear arches, but otherwise in mint condition, the hood works smoothly, and all the electrics are working, lights, wipers etc - overall its a beautiful example.

He's asked for ?850 to shift it, I'm guessing he's not sure how much its worth? I haven't a clue, although it sounds a lot for such an old car, but then they're collectable right?

Appreciate your help!

Back to the top
?850… 8O …if its as good as you say, you must buy it ASAP! Has it got the 1800 gti engine? In theory a cab in such condition etc should be worth around ?2000 easily. Mileage is good for age, its taxed and tested. Make sure hood is watertight. Search hard for body rot - sills, inner wings, rear panel, chassis legs and floor pan, scuttle and heard there is rear cross beam inside the boot that can be susceptible to rot if the roof has leaked. Half tempted myself - my partner is after one, but she says it must be black or helios blue… 'no more white Golfs'…  :roll:

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Excellent, I was hoping I'd get such a reply, he's taking it thru the MOT today, it sailed thru last time with just a replaced bulb, provided it passes its mine for ?850!!

Very excited, whats the performance figures on these cars, I can't find any for the Cabrio.

I also notice that for insurance purposes, its a group 15?? and a special 'H' rating? Norwich Union wouldn't insure me on it till I'm 25+!!!!!

Back to the top
try using elephant mate, my insurance is only ?580 quid and that is with 3 years no claims, 3 points on my licence and an accident 2 years ago.

1983 mars red 1800GTi on ATS cups:)
G60'd, schrick cam, chipped, 70mm pulley, pace charge cooler, rolling road 182bhp 250Nm of torque, 14.50 quarter mile.

Back to the top
Excellent, giving them a go now.

Best I could fine with my 6 points are…

Tesco - ?800 TPFT
Adrian Flux - ?700 TPFT

Trying elephant now though. However, I have a Calibra 16v, so a better solution suggested by my current insurer is to insure it on a monthly basis, works out at ?70 per month!

Bit confused though, my seller described it as a Carmen GTI, and yet the Carmen only came as a 1.6 apparently?? This is a 1.8? Any ideas? Have a reg number but guess thats not going to help much, or is it?

Back to the top
Just tried Elephant, but they won't even quote online with the 6 points on my licence!!! A year to go and they're off anyway!?

Back to the top
Might be wrong, but think Karman always had the equivlenat GTI engine (for the year of the car 1800 injection). Think it was the Clipper cab that initially had the 1500, 1600 or 1800 carb engine. An easy way to tell for the year is that if its the original engine and fuel injected it will be an 1800.

Cheers

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
-

Back to the top
_

Back to the top
Ahhh ok, once I take delivery (Thursday) I'll confirm all.

So how many of the white Cabrio's were produced on an 'A' plate?

So what about performance? I hear these things seriously shift?! 0-60?

Back to the top
They say that the mk1 cabriolet is a bit slower to 60 than the tintop, but in practice I never noticed much of a difference. It will be somewhere around 8.5-9 seconds.

Welcome aboard by the way!

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
If you're looking for cheap insurance Admiral are pretty good.

I've got a Lhasa Green Mk1 Campaign and I pay ?480 fully comp! Then again, I do have 4 years no claims and no points so I'm not sure if they'll touch you with 6 points. But, give them a go:

http://www.admiral.com/

Grant

Back to the top
Excellent thanks guys, thought it would be a little quicker, but guess I'll find out shortly!

Can someone briefly explain what the 'Campaign' is? Does this Golf fit into that category?

Back to the top
If you're new car is an "A" plate, it should be an '83/'84, not '85 as you said in your post…just to point that out incase the seller is trying to make it appear newer!

As for the "Campaign", it was a LTD edition run out Gti Tin Top. Had the Pirelli "P" alloys, Green tinted glass, Leather bound steering wheel, etc.
They are actually quite common. Most of the regulars on here own Campaigns…

Check out the "Campaign Checks" link on the left for more info.

Back to the top
Thanks for pointing that out, had it in my head that an 'A' plate was 85, but of course its 83/84.

I'm guessing the electric hood isn't a standard feature, based on the age of the car? its all in good working order incredibly, I guess thats due to the VW badge, imagine a 'Ford' running as well after 20 years!!

Back to the top
Can someone edit ashley's last post? He used the "F" word!!! LOL…

As for the electric hood - I'm not too sure sorry. Not so clued up on rag tops!

Back to the top
Fordin' hell  :lol: more to the point how many early/mid 80's XR3i's do you see on the roads? Think the electric hood was an option on later cabs (standard on Rivage/Sportline?), imagine the owners fitted one of these later ones?

1983 1100 C

Back to the top

White Cab

Am i going mad but isnt A plate 1983 & they didnt have electric roofs ?

Back to the top

White Cab

Ok ignore last post didnt see page 2 !!!!!

Back to the top
hehe, I've done that before.

Hoping to get the car tomorrow evening, I'm guessing it sailed thru the MOT as I haven't heard anything negative!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.