Skip navigation

My mk1 resto

Back to the top

My mk1 resto

littlekev …. painted the rear axle with Zingazolv 98%zinc from enginewise.co.uk and then 2 coats of hammerite and then just gloss black paint from an areosol to dull down the glare of the hammerite.. came up well 8)

Back to the top
Do you have a direct link to it? cant seem to find it on their site  8O

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

littlekev …. painted the rear axle with Zingazolv 98%zinc from enginewise.co.uk and then 2 coats of hammerite and then just gloss black paint from an areosol to dull down the glare of the hammerite.. came up well 8)

Zingazolv? cant see it on their web site?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

storm81 said

Do you have a direct link to it? cant seem to find it on their site  8O

enginewise.co.uk

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Just ring them … they may not have it listed… they are great for all those kinds of coatings and next day delivery!

Get the 1kg tin not the areosol - the areosol is handi but don't last as long as a brush on tin and the tin is cheaper

Back to the top
how much is the 1kg tin and what sort of coverage you get with it?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Its about 21 quid if I remeber right and you get good coverage - i painted my axle /roll bar / hub back plates and still have over 3/4 of the tin left! and it won't rust! greaaaaaat stuff

Looks like this when put on steel… this was summer last year when I bought a spray tin of it very handi… not as cheap - 1kg tin is way better value

Back to the top
Blimey- that does look like good stuff! Good price too.

Gotta attack the rust on mine when the weather is better (no garage :cry: )

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Sounds perfect for the underside of my car under the vw underseal, should keep the rust away! got a compressor and spray gun so sure i can just buy it in tins and spray it on

Back to the top
Love seeing project history like this Carbsforever. Really impressed.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

We're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthyWe're not worthy:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy::notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:  X infinity + 1

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
:oops: stop please! :lol:

Back to the top
have you drawings of this frame that you had use in restoration?
nice think! :wink:

Remember, VW made the last car in 1992. After that they started making vehicles.

Back to the top
Finished refurbing the linkage last night - just stripped it down gave it a good clean - sanded the factory paint and painted it again - cleaned up the wee brackets that hold the rod and painted them and ordered new wee felt seals to keep it workin sweet. Got a 16v servo so buffed it down to the steel as they seem to rust on the underside - then just painted it up…

BTW to do this conversion you need to reduce the length of the threaded bit on the end of the servo and also use the mounting plate that you find sanwiched between the 16v golf bulkhead and servo - this gives the extra few mills of adjustment… quite easy really just have to order up a master cylinder - spose euro cp will be best???

vw-man - I never did drawings as its simple to make - honest! :lol:  when you look under the car you'll see where everything goes!

Back to the top
That looks superb - nice one! 8)

What did you use to clean up the small brackets/fixings with and what paint did you use?

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
Just used a wire brush and held the bracket in the vice and give a good brushin then just got some silver alloy wheel paint in an aresol..

Back to the top
Thanks and for the black paint??

Banner

Back to the top
You should go into business carbs4ever doing up golf?s.  :y:

Don't forget to change your badge from GTI to GTC :lol:  

Looks like another top class job. :notworthy:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
dubboy - just ordinary gloss black -?1.90 a tin! Goes on easy and its smooth - also good and hard coating.

kins - I would love to work in a resto joint/spray booth - make a change from office!

Back to the top
Looking very good, how much is an engine restoration and how much is a full respray? looking into modifying mine when i get it!

Back to the top
Good weather on saturday so I took the block round to mates car wash place and used the hot power washer and degreaser on the block…

Then took it home and buffed it with the wire brush on the grinder - came up tops!

Before:

After:

Then got out the trusty zingazolve and gave it a coat! Rust free block for years to come! Have to give it an enamel coat of black now..

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.