Skip navigation

My mk1 resto

Back to the top

My mk1 resto

Early picture of the car just before my brother sold it - around 1997

My first ever 'L' Plate drive was in this car - down to Lurgan, Moira, Old Lisburn road - thought i was the man in round the twisty bits at the burn house etc…. and then drove over a dead badger on the way back by mistake - i still laugh at that…. mum shouting "go round it" too late!! lol

But then as the miles were high and i wasn't as in to vw back then as now, it was sold on for something fresher….

Then many years later spotted an add in local paper which sounded like our car - resulting in quick foray deep into south armagh….
 And there in a mushroom house was the 1300 Driver all snug - so my bro bought it back and this is how it looked in late 2002

Then after a bit of negotiation i bought it off my brother and started what was only to be a minor restoration….. lol

Stripping it down ? resting on axle stands before the jig was made.

Engine bay was absolutely stinkin with waste oil and general dirt etc

Shocks etc removed and steering/braking equipment

But as you can see the waste oil did a great job of protecting the metal and when I wiped it away in various places it was clean blue steel underneath!

Then after jig making it was outside for a proper look

Think we need a power washer! Which was then hired and a few hours spent removing the oil and wax etc

Then after washing with hot power washer to take all the oil off and then the serioulsy messy and irritating job of stripping off the underseal. Came up great though.

Then roughly removed the majority of the rear panel as it was past it and also to get access to the back of the rear wheel well where a small patch was needed.

Then stripped the sealer off the inner wings - came up really well not one pic of rust… you can see the infamous epoxy mastic at the bottom - the black stuff - this stuff is KING!

Then back inside for cleaning up inside

Back to the top
Have seen this on club gti  :)

Back to the top
carbs - That's a nice piece of work  8)  8)

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Looks like you are at the same stage as me, looks a fresh shell. Whats your plans for it???

1996 Gti Anniversary 8v Mystic Blue
1995 Gti 16v Fjord blue

Back to the top
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Plans for it are 16v on 45's - got the engine stripped and waiting to get it rebuilt to standard spec and have already took the plunge with new dellorto 45's from Eurocarb

Sorry should have said the shell is painted now so just uploading the pics in stages as it takes a while.. some more pics

Mount from a scirocco welded in and old mount removed - the welds were smoothed of course :lol:

New inner and outer arches

Back to the top
Well your gonna have to get all the pics on asap then  :wink:  looking good, cant wait to see more

Back to the top
Nice pics - always good to see photos of peoples work (sorry all you 56K-ers out there!!!).

Really interested in the home made rolling frame you have there - don't suppose you have any details of the type and gauge of steel you used and the dimensions do you?

I think if anyone has them, a set of dimnsioned sketches and list of materials for this kind of frame would be useful for all the people due to start on their Mk1 resto's in the near future  :D

Cheers,

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
For anyone wanting to make a jig - easy

You need

4 castors

bout 50ft box iron (comes in 25ft lengths) bout ?19 for the lot

1.5ft of angle iron

18 17mm bolts n nuts

welder/grinder/cutter

Cut your angle iron - 4 bits about 5 inches long
Get your wish bone mounting brackets and rear axle mounting brackets - flip em upside down and mark the holes in the angle iron (refer to pics)

Bore the holes and bolt them temporarily to the floor pan.

Cut 4 bits of box iron to the desired length - enough to get power tools safely between the floor pan and frame without causing yoursel an inury! I choose bout 9" Then tack them on hanging straight down - get a spirit level. The rear ones will have to be cut at an angle so it hangs down straight. you will see when you look up in at them..

Then cut your lenghts of box to make a square between the four bits hangin down - weld in place.

Then unbolt frame and make all welds good.

Get your castors and secure either by bolt or weld to each corner of the square.

Then make 2 L shapes with a bit cut to brace the L diagonally (this is to support the car on its side - see pics)

Bore three holes on the base of the L and do the same on each of the bits of box that run from left to right across the rear and front ends of the floor pan - secure the L's to this tightly!

Then turn the car - get two folk to do this - one to lift and the other to guide the car down niceley without a jolt!

Job done - cost me ?31!

Back to the top
Car in primer

Bay in primer

Floor pan painted and laquered

Inside boot area painted

When I went to lift the car at the beginning of December last 2004

Colour is BMW Sterling Grey - new colour for Bmw's

Back to the top
Is that a small light rear panel you have fitted???
looking very nice in that colour, i was thinking of spraying my one the new grey from VW which is on the mk5 but as it's a campaign it might take away some of the originality.
keep posting the pics, good work  :mrgreen:

1995 Gti 16v Fjord blue

Back to the top
littlekev - yeah its the small light panel - genuine one I picked up for ?30! Don't pay massive money for panels they are out there just hunt around.

Me and the brother went and got another rear panel off a guy last saturday who used to rally mk1's and he sold us the panel for ?45 big light genuine panel! bargain or what!

I may also be unto another one!!

Back to the top
Gotta commend you mate 4 doin that resto wish i had the knowledge n balls.Could o saved myself alot o money but dont wanna bugger up my pride n joy.Left it to people in the know.Not sayin you not looking at pics you done the same job n then some,well done n good luck
Will do it 1 day space time knowledge n big hairys lol

Back to the top
Proper job Carbs! I wish shells like that where available off the shelf and pre-painted :wink:

Back to the top
Like British Heritage do for minis and like.

Would be a nice thought, sat at home, looking out your window waiting for your new and painted shell to arrive! :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Now that would be cheatin! :lol:

Back to the top
Shot of the bay painted

Inner wing painted

Hubs with new shoes cylinders etc

Axle almost fully rebuilt - its finished now

Petrol tank after inside shot blasted and coated and the outside blasted and protective coating applied

My 16v KR engine - in bits awaiting rebuild!

Back to the top
Sure some those photos aren't from VW MK1 production line? :lol: . Seriously, top quality work going on there carb's  :notworthy:

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
:notworthy:  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Awwwww you guys :oops:

Thanks for the comments….. more pics soon.

Last night I buffed down the 16v brake servo and primed it - why do they always rust at the bottom??? Anyhow was superficial and buffed it out - I'll spray it black tonight. then have to get my brake linkage cleaned and repainted and bolt on the servo/mc

Back to the top
Excellent work, keep the pics coming. :clap:
out if interest what have you painted the rear axle with??

1995 Gti 16v Fjord blue
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.