Skip navigation

Bump stops - how much travel should I get before hitting them?

Back to the top

paceman said

Interesting thread this - I fitted H&R lowering springs on mine about 100 years ago (read my build thread  :lol: ) and I doubt I'd have known about shorter bump stops (hey, it was pre-internet!).
Crash and bang seems about right, so I probably need some short bump stops.
That said, I'm still none the wiser about where to get them…The other thread linked seems to suggest these are the ones:
https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/front-suspension-bump-stop--dust-shield-set--357498131s-mk1--2-golf-jetta-scirocco-caddy-21160-p.asp
but it doesn't mention short in the description….

Glad it isn't just a few isolated cases! Those do look shorter than the ones I got, but given apparently they use stock images you may not actually get ones that look like that, so I'm tempted to shop elsewhere if I were to buy new ones.

I'm currently waiting til the weekend to reassess before I order any new bits, save some pennies where I can

Back to the top
Yes those bump stops in the link I posted fromTDC automotive are about 1/2 the size of the original rubber ones. I guess they don't say shorter bump stops for a Mk1 Golf is because they are from a different model of VW but will fit a Mk1 Golf.or Mk1 Scirocco or Mk2 Scirocco as the shaft of the shock is the same size.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254109110324?hash=item3b2a155034:g:mWkAAOSwXpthxMsQ

I guess the ones from Classic VW are the same as the ones above?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
small update, I fitted the shorter bump stops as mentioned - car seemed okay, wasn't riding on them, but the smallest pot hole on my drive home and I can hear/feel the suspension bottoming out on the bump stop.  :o Not sure what else to do now, the bump stops can't be any shorter or it'll damage the strut - as it is, there is a small rattle I need to look at (hopefully just a nut come slightly loose)

all I can really hope now is that as the top mounts age and rise up, it'll give the strut more movement range and  not bottom out as easily.  :P

Back to the top
It should not be hitting the bump stops are you sure the spacer washer in the top mount is not to tall causing the knocking?

Jack the front up and place a bar (I use my trolly Jack bar) underneath the tyre and and lift the wheel a few times listening for a knocking or movement in the top mount.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

mark1gls said

It should not be hitting the bump stops are you sure the spacer washer in the top mount is not to tall causing the knocking?

Jack the front up and place a bar (I use my trolly Jack bar) underneath the tyre and and lift the wheel a few times listening for a knocking or movement in the top mount.

Will give it a go this weekend! The spacer washer doesn't look too tall, the washer and nut seem to clamp up nicely and doesn't appear to be loose or anything.

The knocking only recently started which is slightly concerning, it seemed okay when I first fit the springs and bounced it around a few times!

Back to the top
Double check everything is done up tight  :thumbs:

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Double check everything is done up tight  :thumbs:

Hopefully all that's wrong. maybe just rattled loose after a few bumps!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.