Skip navigation

Can new bosch injectors leak??

Back to the top
Basically bought some new injectors and lines as the braiding on the lines was fraying and I was convinced I had a leaking injector, i didn't test them stupidly but they were a good 14 years old so thought I'd change them anyway, but the car started fine other than its auxiliary air valve issue..
Since fitting new injectors and lines the car starts like an absolute turd, it starts and immediately cuts out the first couple of attempts, then it splutters its way into life, stinks of fuel then once running idles fine, ish.
The car really needs a dizzy cap, rotor arm and leads but I can't afford them right now (house project, wasted on fuel injectors) but basically just wondered as time is very limited so when I will get to test them who knows. Has anybody had any issues with duff injectors from new? Seems unlikely to me but at the same time I've not done anything else that would/could make it run worse. Cheers

Back to the top
Have you run it for a few miles since fitting the new injectors or just tried starting it?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I've driven it probably 20 miles, and run it up to change oil. Obviously when it was first started I wasn't expecting it to fire as no fuel in the lines. Started better with new plugs but was difficult to start yesterday, I'd not started it in probably 10 days

Back to the top
check for fuel in the sump

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
How would I check for fuel in the sump? Would it be obvious on the dipstick? Or just stink of fuel?

Back to the top
Be annoying if there is, only just put new oil in it 🙄

Back to the top
high oil level on the dip stick strong smell of petrol

Back to the top
out of my sump with fuel supply issues 0d68957a9a5443f07b57840e6e204bdd.jpg

Back to the top
Hopefully I'll get a chance to have a quick look at some point over the weekend. May get a chance to drive it then I can pull the injectors out and see once home

Back to the top
Best way to properly check is to pull them all out the head, stick them in bottles, and run the fuel pump (you can swap a relay, or use a jumper wire) without actually starting the engine. It will pressurise the fuel system and you'll be able to see if there are any drips. If you've only just changed the injectors, they shouldn't be too hard to remove and you shouldn't need new o-rings. You're fifth injector may also be leaking, you can check that the same way.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
What relay would work in its place to do that? I guess that wouldn't take long, she might let me do that for a bit 😂. I'll see if I can smell fuel in the oil first though. I might as well try cold start injector, I'm assuming it's probably not that but just to rule it out

Back to the top

Re:

Karlos1987 said

What relay would work in its place to do that? I guess that wouldn't take long, she might let me do that for a bit . I'll see if I can smell fuel in the oil first though. I might as well try cold start injector, I'm assuming it's probably not that but just to rule it out
Would not suspect a fifth injector problem personally

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Karlos1987 said

What relay would work in its place to do that? I guess that wouldn't take long, she might let me do that for a bit 😂. I'll see if I can smell fuel in the oil first though. I might as well try cold start injector, I'm assuming it's probably not that but just to rule it out

You can use a 17 or 18 relay in the fuel pump relay socket to make the pump come on with the ignition. Then you can just turn the ignition on (not start) to run the pump. Unless you are moving the airflow plate, you should get no fuel from the injectors.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

Re:

paceman said

Karlos1987 said

What relay would work in its place to do that? I guess that wouldn't take long, she might let me do that for a bit . I'll see if I can smell fuel in the oil first though. I might as well try cold start injector, I'm assuming it's probably not that but just to rule it out

You can use a 17 or 18 relay in the fuel pump relay socket to make the pump come on with the ignition. Then you can just turn the ignition on (not start) to run the pump. Unless you are moving the airflow plate, you should get no fuel from the injectors.
Mine runs that permanently 18 upside down one step up in the fuse box

Back to the top
OK thanks paceman, if I get a chance I'll try over the weekend.  No nicci21paul, I doubt its going to be cold start too

Back to the top
I just did a quick sniff of the dipstick, certainly seems to be a petrolly aroma coming from it, albeit slight. That said its only been driven 25 miles if that on new oil. On one hand I need to check injectors as sooner its done more likely I'll get it/them exchanged. I also just want to chuck a cover over it and just forget about it for a while as the car is driving me up the wall with all its issues

Back to the top
my leaking injector problem 614f0d8a129da.jpg

Back to the top
Blimey, they'd had it. Won't be my issue, I fitted new o-rings with injectors. The only thing I did notice was one injector was pretty easy to push in,  but the other 3 took some swearing at. I wonder if an injector seat could be the issue? Did put a tiny bit of grease on o-rings too to help them in as I read it doesn't hurt and makes life a bit easier

Back to the top

Re:

Karlos1987 said

Blimey, they'd had it. Won't be my issue, I fitted new o-rings with injectors. The only thing I did notice was one injector was pretty easy to push in,  but the other 3 took some swearing at. I wonder if an injector seat could be the issue? Did put a tiny bit of grease on o-rings too to help them in as I read it doesn't hurt and makes life a bit easier
They are out of the plunger inside the metering head mate

Back to the top
Ah. Probably still isn't my issue though. I've never taken a metering head apart so no idea what's inside really. I did think the 2 on the right looked a bit different
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.