Skip navigation

Golf MK1 GTi 1983 Project

Back to the top

MK1 GTi in bits, original engine gone, most of interior missing, only one wheel - I couldn't resist - what have I done?

56ca351e-ab87-4edc-b468-c2ccd9019345.jpg
I found this MK1 GTi project that was supposed to be 95% complete although not the original engine. The body seems to be remarkable condition so I thought I'd take a punt. It arrived last week and I'm starting to wonder what I was thinking. As I pulled all the parts out of the interior and the various boxes it was clear that 95% complete was a slight exaggeration - missing front seats, dashboard, parcel shelf, engine - although ABF included oh yes and only one wheel. My heart has ruled my head I feel. But as the shell is in great condition maybe it'll all be ok. I’ll keep you posted….

Back to the top
finding the parts is half the fun.
Good luck!

Back to the top
How do you know it was a GTI?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Real GTi - did as much due diligence as possible. The VIN number on the data plate and the number stamped underneath the windscreen match the number in the V5 and the V5 says it's a GTi. So hopefully that's not another item to add to the growing list of 'reasons I shouldn't have bought it'

It's has been de-badged and had the wheel arches removed and had the boot latch button removed and wider rear lights already fitted. It's a dilemma as to whether to take it all back to original, scarp the ABF engine and find and install an original DX engine - any views welcome.

Back to the top

richiepl said

Real GTi - did as much due diligence as possible. The VIN number on the data plate and the number stamped underneath the windscreen match the number in the V5 and the V5 says it's a GTi. So hopefully that's not another item to add to the growing list of 'reasons I shouldn't have bought it'

It's has been de-badged and had the wheel arches removed and had the boot latch button removed and wider rear lights already fitted. It's a dilemma as to whether to take it all back to original, scarp the ABF engine and find and install an original DX engine - any views welcome.

Strange someone had the holygrail of MK1s, a rot free GTI and removes all the bits that don't rot and doesn't use the shell…..

If it was a 1.8 DX it would have had the S2 wider rear lights anyway? What's the boot sticker say?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
It's been de-badged. The V5 says it had a 1.8 DX engine.

Back to the top
Is there still a paper label in the boot with the vin number, engine number, gearbox code etc?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
The ABF engine is bolted to a gearbox that has a hydraulic clutch and a cable gearshift. At some point I'll need to weld a master cylinder to steering column but I'll focus on getting the engine going first.

I'm not sure which gear linkage cable setup to use - MK4 Golf I've heard works well but not sure if later linkages will work as well - more research!

Back to the top

Re:

richiepl said

The ABF engine is bolted to a gearbox that has a hydraulic clutch and a cable gearshift. At some point I'll need to weld a master cylinder to steering column but I'll focus on getting the engine going first.

I'm not sure which gear linkage cable setup to use - MK4 Golf I've heard works well but not sure if later linkages will work as well - more research!
Go old school

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
I've had a bit of break from the golf over the summer - but now it's getting colder and the evenings are drawing in I can get the heater on and get back in the workshop!

I'm just getting to the bottom of splicing in the MK3 ECU loom into the MK1 fusebox with help from RubJonny - nearly there…

It occurred to me, as I was re-addressing the project that maybe I should go back to all original MK1 - get a DX engine, go back to the original rear lights, rear wiper and boot latch etc.

Does anyone have an opinion?
Would it make it more desirable in todays market?
The ABF engine seems like a good idea but does that ruin at straight, rust free (high milage) GTi?
Or am I overthinking it? - Feedback welcome.

Thanks in advance…

Back to the top
Build it how you want, chances are when you want to sell it someone will have a vision close to yours  :thumbs:

Back to the top
It's your car so as has been said, it's entirely up to you. Mine was always going to be as close to stock as original (bar bigger front discs, servo, and MC) as that's what I wanted it to be. I've kept the original parts in case I want it fully original again.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
To build it as a stock car I think with all the good parts you'd have to source could make it a long and expensive build, where as if you build it as you like it's ready to enjoy, nothing to stop you collecting the standard parts in the future \ long term to either return it or sell on with the stock option.
I'm a little like Paceman, I have everything (except front seats) to return mine to stock, but wanted to build mine as VW might have if they had done a mk1 16v, bigger brakes / rear discs, central locking, slightly lower springs, period wheels etc but looking standard.

I think the demand for stock and modified is sufficient for both so either way works

Back to the top
Great, thanks for your feedback Jake and Paceman.

ABF engine conversion it is then and I'll keep on the lookout for any stock items if I decide to convert it back in the future…

More pictures to come if anyone is interested.

Back to the top
Does anyone out there have experience fitting a hydraulic clutch master cylinder?

There is an expensive kit by Retrofication but it just looks like a T4 Master Cylinder - anyone know?

Thanks

Back to the top

richiepl said

Great, thanks for your feedback Jake and Paceman.

ABF engine conversion it is then and I'll keep on the lookout for any stock items if I decide to convert it back in the future…

More pictures to come if anyone is interested.

More pictures  :thumbs:

Back to the top
uykAWCEgQAyjrCDjRqXguA.jpg
Engine in - it's firing back cuts out straight away?

Back to the top
bwlCyECCRyughWjbgxNK8g.jpg
Front suspension rebuilt. I've got lowering springs. Maybe a job for the future? And maybe repaint the BBS's

Back to the top
s0KePK8GRpKhyJzDbmJLpw.jpg
Hoping to get the engine working right then I'll pull it out again and tidy up the engine bay

Back to the top
tnm4vHHoT3uVblU2tdVtgw.jpg
Still head scratching. Nearly there - hopefully
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.