Skip navigation

1st Golf project

Back to the top
Thanks paceman, I'm getting there will just borrow someone to make it easier 👍

On to the front next, can't wait

1989 Paprika Red 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

Back to the top
Okay, so the rear axle is finished apart from bleeding the brakes, which I'll do when the front it finished.

Onto the front. Both drive shafts off, some odd bolts have been used and need replacing the off side outter joint also.

Anti roll bar off.

Next after cleaning those parts is the lower arms off, all the bushes out and bits into the blaster to clean.

Anyone ID these brakes are they standard?

20220715_131958.jpg

20220715_105513.jpg 20220715_105504.jpg 20220715_103323.jpg

Back to the top
Standard front callipers, VWII. The discs aren't standard being grooved.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks Mark, i'm going to take it all off and see what the calipers are like. Are the calipers Mk2 Golf?

If they are good I'll keep them and replace the pads.

Back to the top
Just had a read, looks like a good project ahead refurbishing or replace as required.

My latter 1983 Golf hatchback had the same VWII calipers but with solid discs. These calipers were used on the GTI with vented discs as per your configuration.

Quite a bit of the Mk1 stuff was used on early Mk2s in the transition period between models.

I stripped my calipers down and refurbished them, see my link from my own project.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&type=misc&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fgarythegolf&start=40

When replacing the pads, vented discs require thinner pads than the ones used for solid discs. You make consider replacing / fitting your pads and vented discs much later in your project closer to the time say for MOT.

Back to the top
Malcolm, thanks. Yeah I am enjoying most of it 😁

Thanks for the link, your work and thread is great. Very detailed.

I don't want anything high end or race worthy just a good pad once the brakes are rebuilt.

Back to the top
Hi all, hope 2023 has started well for everyone.

Happy to report that I have been able to spend some time picking up where I left off.

I have ordered new caliper seals, stripped and cleaned the calipers (now ready for paint) will rebuild them soon. all new bushes and brackets fitted on the anti-roll bar.

Will post some pictures soon to show my work!

Back to the top
Some pictures;

I forgot to take one of the roll bar but the drive shafts, cleaned and painted the shafts, new inner CV joints. One new outer as the threads were in a bad way.

Drive shafts.jpg

Back to the top
Stripped the calipers down, need a bit more cleaning before paint and waiting on new guide sleeve kits.

Caliper.jpg

While I wait, I cleaned the carpets and rear seats, Happy to refit these seats as the foam is good and the covering is in pretty good condition. After one wash with Autoglym.  The front seats are not that great  :'(

Seats & carpet.jpg

Seats.jpg

Fitted carpet.jpg

Back to the top
So I had to move my project to a new work place so has been a while since I've done much but I have stripped and painted the callipers and had the wheels stripped and refurbished. 

Hope to rebuild the brakes this coming week and put the wheels back on 🤞🏻 47C85E98-B439-4F8B-9B00-4451407020A7.jpeg 6F428C64-AB2C-4FA0-B8FC-DA204BEE79C3.jpeg

Back to the top
Had a busy weekend, productive and got pretty far.

Couple of bits I wanted to get done and couldn't get into the shot blaster but I'm happy with where I am.

Stripped the hubs, new wheel bearings pressed in. Took the wishbones off and drilled the rivets out for the lower ball joint, cleaned and painted the wishbone.

Replaced the bushes and ball joints, replaced the wish bones and rebuilt both wheel stations.

Rebuilt the brakes and fitted. Need new hoses and to check the lines and then can bleed next.

Cleaned the arches.

Next I'm going to look at the brakes and handbrake set up so the car is rolling and stops!

The next big ticket will be to replace the front suspension and set up. Recommendations welcome with what set to use.

Arch.jpg Brake fitted.jpg Brake.jpg Brake2.jpg Waiting.jpg Wishbone fitted.jpg Wishbone.jpg

Back to the top
Yes very busy weekend and coming together nicely.

My recommendation for new suspension and fitted to my car, comfortable ride, sporty when pushing it around the bends and a little lower than standard set up.

You will need to keep your original strut housing as the front shock is an insert.
Kit comes complete with shorter bump stops and new dust covers.

This kit is for the cabriolet as the tin top cars are lighter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233057941786?hash=item364355f91a:g:RgEAAOSwJzlhqB4f&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4K7gg29Z9WEcf4W%2BlkanKEhX0NbSiLetn6M7ITmdHA3fsXcfjN3Gvz%2F94AIQ4dnMQDiCVOeD%2BUMGiNcfBtwJXnH%2BhsZq79rwxD9AnnhvD35ODs%2BI1ROx7FQTH29%2B7H%2B6%2FYemY3gjc%2FPGPejmtn%2BO8AW%2B9PxBYraJqGj5H%2Ba0a0C%2FZ48bIr0SWO89%2BVlkBEPXNOvo0oi9%2F%2BaS0WJ9%2BkBaDZIuuY9%2BzNP7X0F4KD0Knz%2FgLEGut9C2XKBxL9JHc4TRvVuuQn4rWjAyiDC1pws80PGII2sfiSRxyE%2FQIT4h6qpn%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_DszonyYQ

If you do want fit coilovers to adjust the height exactly to your liking then you really need to be spending twice or three times the amount of the kit above to get a good ride as cheap coilovers can be very hard.

I can post up a picture if needed on how the car sits on standard VW 14” wheels with 185/60 R14 tyres?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
It was but it was a good feeling getting to where I am now. Although I had red rubber grease on everything when building the calipers up and that annoying thing of one side being a b*tch to strip and the other side the complete opposite.

I'm looking to make the car a nice drive but doesn't need to be like a track car set up.

Thanks I'll take a look at that link and yes the picture would help thank you.

Back to the top

1st Golf project

Yes good idea to grease everything if you intend to keep the car for a few years so it’s easier to change worn out items when needed, I’ve been using copper grease for years and it’s helped a lot as no rusty seized nuts and bolts.

Pictures of my car on the kit I mentioned to give you an idea of ride height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Yeah I use that too.

That's a nice height, Can I ask other than front strut housing is the kit complete with new fixings?

Was it an easy one for one swap out of parts?

Back to the top
The kit comes with every thing you see in the picture so you will need to reuse some washers, nuts and bolts, top spring cups.
Best to fit some new Febi top mounts (best quality available) and fill the gap underneath the top mount with some sort of sealant/silicone to help it last longer.

You will need some spring compressor when undoing the top nut, I used a diesel injector socket (it has the side cut out) and a 7mm Allen key to undo the top nut but check the sizes before buying one as I found they do differ.

If you don't have a big vice bolted to a bench try and loosen the big top nut holding the shock in the strut housing while it's on the car, you can just about get some big stilsons or water pump pliers or anything to grip the nut In between the spring to get to the nut.

Stilsons
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325511400605?hash=item4bc9fdcc9d:g:OYIAAOSwxG1j0QtO&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4B7HpvddS3O0G0%2BPXUbl49rkizr80CMC5vLAWU49OqLNq%2F2Vvd77fhi0B1fIOhHxDizca%2BsE%2FBJhWU9rZNdDtVjCgVzEDBvWJV4b5lE6aFSSXU40HgE%2FTt7DchvC2OPFXy6py3uenPNMLHUXvMPm3SrV13dWItUi5LhZbN6fy7Bs%2FRZcp%2Byos%2FbGB6Jd7XPg%2B85ta83fqSiV4MfLblVKPw6hHmWydOoH1Ybn1atSFFDgdJxX%2FXGRBLY3RTTbPyPnAJsYkFOTvRO6BBi0JQ5MPDAOgZDXu8TU5%2FRk3UR%2FA17%2F%7Ctkp%3ABFBMiISJ5PJh

Diesel injector removal tool

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203911411495?hash=item2f7a113727:g:akMAAOSwd~RiVYX5&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8GAK%2Be4I8fSWsn3X3vrpdtMea%2Btb6gqmx%2BjH4CZ%2F35D441VIdgMomc9XEQcJ1zJ1zp%2BZ1hNKIwVsjEyt3Efk2NRv%2FQsJUcV%2B0LZw7XyZ5AadYDG5JIwkglrSCn39tPx4%2FdAbOV0M6wXY6jchg2sX98unzTUliSMAjd0hIQNhmNa0gzSnBprvOpIQ3olvK6%2BmJwJ4fXCjlLH6DcEYDZrbhvkWnrFxbqClC3JHtoQwRj%2F0oJ706ohCpZK9vg3h%2BbUQRy8v64PwgGhlh2SveUG3WD3fpvkvV4kSzaDSuDY6DJUuWmy%2FZiUG8Uu4rWm%2BTdRDzw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_i-8uPyYQ

I can check the sizes of the stuff I used tomorrow and let you know, links above are the 1st I found to show you what I mean so may not be right.

I see you have removed the rear shocks so the bottom bolt should be ok but cover it in grease where it sits inside the bottom of the shock as it can seize to the shock and check the rubber top mounts have not gone flat over time.

Back to the top

Hello all, Happy New Year and all that!

Had a fair bit on recently so haven't had much free time to work on my project but I have moved into a place so hoping this is where i pick up where I left off.

The front is back together so onto the electrics at the front.

Hope everyone is well and projects are still on going. 

Back to the top
Hi guys I've got a mk1 1999 golf citi I need 2 front wings for it dose anyone know where I can get new ones or what other ones fit that model cheers 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.