Skip navigation

1st Golf project

Back to the top
Had a scan over the link regarding the roof, I think that is on the furthest back burner right now:lol: but a very detailed guide.

I think if I can find someone in Dorset that has a good reputation for these types of roof I'll get them to overhaul the whole thing. I'm guessing a 'have a go' job was done before but i'm happy there is a good headliner, replacement window frame and new outer roof.

Yes there is plenty to do!

Some really great advice on here, I've been browsing the Forum subjects. The only bit I haven't found so far is which engine oil to use 10W40 Synthetic has come up one place and 15W40 Mineral in another.

Do you recommend one or a thread to read on that?

1989 Paprika Red 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

Back to the top
Much clearer on the use of those levers and  knob cheers!

Back to the top
10w 40 semi synthetic is what you want and buy a good quality oil filter, MANN or genuine VW one and change the oil every 10,000 miles or 12 months and fit a new sump washer.

Stuff I've been using for years,,
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/triple-qx-semi-syn-10w-40-5ltr-521776011

Or sister company
https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/triple-qx-semi-syn-10w-40-5ltr-521776011

There is offers on both places so I buy from who ever is cheaper and don’t forget to use the code in the checkout area, you can also get MANN oil filter from them.

Or the stuff VW would of used.
AVS Car Parts

You can't be far from me, I'm in South Somerset not far from Yeovil.  :thumbs: 

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
do power roofs have locking catches on the back
arch covers ?

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
I have the MANN oil filter, sump gasket and plug washer on the shopping list and will pick up some 10W 40 semi synthetic oil too 👍

Going to check the oil pump as per a thread I read on here.

Ah right, yeah I'm close to Poole.

Back to the top
Update,

Carburettor flange fitted and carb fitted. Will strip and clean at a later date.

Oil drained and sump taken off, going to check the oil pump as per the thread I read on here (brilliant and great pictures)

Rocker cover removed and new gasket ordered.

Looking at cleaning the engine and engine bay, there is a lot of grime all over.

Any advice for cleaning? I have a small steam cleaner and plenty of elbow grease.

Back to the top
Update,

Oil pump taken off,cleaned and checked as per a thread on here. Great pictures and advice, will thank who wrote that.

20210402_154521.jpg

Sump cleaned, stripped and painted then put back on. New gasket and sump plug washer.

Oil filter and oil added.

Rocker cover and other smaller items cleaned and painted.

Cam belt done.

Next up is flushing the fuel system and run up

Back to the top
I have a new inline filter to fit but I want to drain the old fuel out of the tank and clean it out.

I was going to drop the tank and clean it up, paint and replace if it good shape but I read that means dropping the rear axle…is this right?

Is there a filter in the tank? Is the access cover under the back seat is where the fuel sender is?

Back to the top
Few hours over the weekend putting parts back on that have been cleaned up.
The rest of the engine bay needs cleaning in the nooks and crannies but I'm getting there.

Refit the radiator after the rest of the cleaning.

Next to check is the gear box, I know questions were asked about the clutch cable so I may look into that.

I also took the front bumper off as I was round the front and will clean in behind there too.

I have an idea of the look I want when I get closer to being back on the road. Small black bumpers, black side stripes. Black roof. Keep the current red colour and not sure what to do about the wheel….yet 😂

20210410_202418.jpg 20210410_202410.jpg

Back to the top
Also between single headlight or staying double and remove the previous owners yellow film from the lenses.

Long way to go but enjoying it

Back to the top
Quick update.

I put everything back together in the engine bay and run up to check everything over. Even before i got to starting the engine the water pump leaked.

All finished now though and happy.

Moving on to taking the exhaust off, rear brakes to be looked at and drop the fuel tank to clean it out.

While the tank it off I'm going to see how much welding is needed on the rear end, the bottom section of both sides where the rear bumper is connected need work.

Will update again soon :thumbs:

Back to the top
Small update.

Rear axle and fuel tank off.

Cleaned the fuel tank out but still need to do some magnet fishing inside.

Rear axle to be cleaned up, brakes to be looked at. I'm probably just going to get all new rear brakes just for piece of mind really.

Came off with not much swearing!

20210503_145640.jpg

Back to the top
Little bit done today,

Stripped the rear brakes down, not surprised they were rubbish and the handbrake wasn't great…. 20210507_133322.jpg

Will be stripping it all off and replacing with new this weekend hopefully if the parts arrive on time.

Managed to get a lot of the debris out of the fuel tank too, waited for it to dry out and then got a hoover in there

Back to the top
I would strongly recommend that you do not go near your fuel tank with a hoover unless you fully rinse it out and leave it somewhere warm for a good few weeks. It does not take a lot of fuel vapour to cause a nasty explosion as you suck it a hoover. Safest way is a an air compressor powered vac.

Those rear drums have seen better days that's for sure. Keep up the good work!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Hi Paceman,

Yeah I left it to vent for a long time and it completely dried out, was just a case of getting the junk out of it 👍

Definitely, the handbrake spring wasn't even attached on the offside 🙄

Unfortunately I didn't order my parts early enough so have to wait till Monday for them to be delivered. Going to have a look at the bodywork today instead

Back to the top
So time for an update to this thread.

Still really busy at work but managed to squeeze a bit of work in on my project at last!

Stripped, cleaned and painted the rear axle and anti roll bar. Ordered new fixings and bushes for the roll bar.

Need to clean the backing plates for the brakes then I can paint them and start building the axle up to give me a rolling project…until I start on the front.

Pictures to follow!

Back to the top
20220701_133011.jpg I never seem to get to a stage where its worth updating what I'm doing.

But

I have now rebuilt the rear axle and is now ready to go back on with the cleaned up fuel tank.

Happy with how things are going….for now.

I've put a pair of standard shocks on and using the old springs just to move the car around, coilovers may come later. The boot lid is away getting the paint sorted too.

20220701_133021.jpg 20220503_144859.jpg

Back to the top
My build thread got like that, do loads of small jobs and forget to post anything!
You are making progress though, that's the main thing!

Back to the top
Yeah exactly that paceman.

I got on a roll though. Fuel tank back on, handbrake cables routed and rear axle, shock top mounts got me though need longer arms to move the shock and put the nut on 🤣

Back to the top
Stick the wheels on and lower it down slightly, guiding the shock as you go. Then let it sit its wheels before tightening it all up.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.