Skip navigation

Fuel flooding metering head then sump

Back to the top
Just realised the gap in the metering plate would not be the cause of the injectors running when they shudnt be as it's the action of the plate arm lifting which lifts the plunger allowing fuel to the injectors.

Sorry…I'm on the brink of my mechanical knowledge and skill as you have probably guessed lol

1991 Mk1 Golf GTi Rivage 1.8cc
113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
Another update

Think I've found the reason my injectors are running when they shouldnt be.
"Distance from the fuel distributor mounting surface to the sensor plate lever roller when at rest should be 19mm"
I measured mine and it was 14mm! Meaning it was constantly pressing the plunger up even at rest. Someone must have messed with this thinking they were making the mixture richer so it would run better possibly. I've adjusted the idle mixture adjusting screw with a 3mm Alan key so the measurement is now 19mm! Thus will not press the plunger unless the plate is raised.

This still doesnt explain the petrol in the air box though I dont think. I do think that is down to leaky dist seal around the plunger

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
1616614938669279231345350674261.jpg

😩🤣

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
POSITIVE UPDATE

Finally got the resealed fuel distributir back on and tested the injectors with the fuel relay jumped as before

The fuel distributor no longer leaks into the airbox 🙌
The injectors now only spray when the air sensor plate is lifted 🙌
(So that was definitely the CO screw adjustment)

Now I have to find out why injector 4 isnt performing as it should. In the previous tests this was working fine so I'm hoping abit of adjusting will sort it and it isnst something more serious within the fuel distributor (I do not wana split that again lol)
IMG-20210327-WA0023.jpeg

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
swap the the pipes then do another spray test

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
Yes Paul I wish I had tried this yesterday I shall try swapping an injcetor round this morning. I thought no fuel got to the injectors with the plunger down you see.
I will report back with my findings. I know injectors are expensive but I hope it is the injectors

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
Sorry for being a pain…right….so number 4 injector has been spraying fuel with the plunger in its rest position so I swapped number 4 injector for number 1 injector and the problem was still at the 4th injector so it's got to be a supply issue.
Number 3 dripped with plunger in rest.

I had taken the fuel dist off the air sensor so cud see exactly what the plunger was doing. When I pressed it up, 2 3 and 4 sprayed but 1 didnt.

Is this now beyond the adjusting stage and there is something definitely seriously wrong with my fuel distributor aka just buy a new one or get it sent off for proper refurb?

Cheers for any help/advice

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
do you have pressure at the outlet on number 4
crack the banjo off

Back to the top
Haha please pardon my lack of knowledge but what is a banjo lol

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
THE BANJO is the bolt and hose connection to the head, 5th injector and wur.  bolt with flow holes that go into round connection to allow angles on pipe to be reached safely.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132441861531?chn=ps&var=431785237062&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=431785237062_132441861531&targetid=1140163971529&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006691&poi=&campaignid=12126112974&mkgroupid=119550279569&rlsatarget=aud-629407027905:pla-1140163971529&abcId=9300482&merchantid=115202777&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0oCDBhCPARIsAII3C_FMsf2UfJgegpHIK91c4frbOD6ezW4y86rFpZf_ItLYpzneo_gxt3YaAqPvEALw_wcB

think what paul is saying is to open the hose at sensor plate side to see if fuel reaching line.  then chgeck further to injector  , crack that fitting and allow free flow to prove line is clear, thatwould then leave faulty/blocked injector

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Yes sorry I may not have been clear enough. Yes 4 is getting pressure…even when it should not be.
The new problem is that number 4 injector sprays as soon as the ignition is turned (with the fuel pump relay jumped) with the plunger in the rest position (air plate sensor arm down. None of the other injectors spray until the sensor plate and arm is raised (plunger pushed up)

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
surely nothing should get a fuel delivery until the
engine is cranked then that would be the fifth injector

Back to the top
Exactly. I've jumped the fuel relay solely to test the injectors. I've disconnected the power to the 5th injector.
So I'm getting a fuel delivery to injector 4 when the plunger is in the rest position. Dont understand it at all

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
Update on this hoping can get some advice

I've resealed the fuel distributor and changed a leaking injector I no longer get fuel into the sump or fuel into the air box

Went to start her up and would not start. I've done a test for spark and I'm not getting a spark either thru a plug or via a screwdriver jammed into the spark plug wire connector.

After this I'm abit stumped? All the leads, dizzy cap rotar arm plugs have done zero miles been in about a year while other things were being worked on

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
Are you getting 12v to the coil?

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Hi mate, I didnt have a multimeter so just ordered one off Amazon for delivery tmoro. I put all new leads plugs and dizzy cap and rotar arm on. Just hoping they were all the correct ones

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
Has it never run with those new bits on it?

Back to the top
I've never seen it start up with the new bits on (dizzy cap rotar arm ht leads spark plugs) the mechanic i sent the car to when I cud not start it said that he had started up with them tho. Obv taking his word for it I never saw it

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
20210415_122500.jpg Taken the ignition coil off for testing and when taking he bracket off that had an earth wire to connected to it….the cable just come off with bracket. The other end wasnt attached to anything so is it just a case of attaching it somewhere? No idea where it connects to though 20210415_122514.jpg

113k on the clock
Owned for 16 years

Back to the top
Will it reach to the rocker cover?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.