Skip navigation

New swallowtail owner

Back to the top

Help and advice

Ye that's pretty much what we'll do I think,love the 3dr look :thumbs:

Back to the top
Good luck with it. 

Wish I'd never sold mine…. I'll be back one day. 

Back to the top

New swallowtail owner

Series 1 swallow tail. Could be 20k depending on the restoration.

Ask the insurance to do an agreed value. Go for something very high based on the value of early MK1s. Although it’s not a GTI it is very early example and could still be worth double digits thousands.  

3-4K people may but it off you now without you touching it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
 :'(  :'( ,bloody hell ,that has surprised me,don't think it's going to be a nut and bolt restoration just minimal work,as long as it's safe and solid that's fine my us at the moment.
Do lhd or rhd make any difference to these values or are they about the same,thanks again.

Back to the top

New swallowtail owner

Now you need others to help with what it is really worth. RHD is worth more. S1 is worth more. Swallow Tail more still. So you are ticking boxes. Yours is pre GTI release so now value is based on how rare it is and how close to original I would say.  Can change bolt on/off stuff like wheels and suspension etc. Changing welded stuff and engines will drop the value for some/many.

If the paint can be polished and rescued or just sections blown in then so much the better.

I have a 1980 1.6 GTI. Good condition but daily driver level not concours resto. I got independent valuation of 20k. Not swallow, very early or an S1. If a swallow tail S1 GTI it would be worth double.

Once put back on the road with a bit of a shine and no mould on the inside then you have something only maybe 5 or 10 people in the world have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
I think there is only 1 swallow gti in a museum somewhere. No such thing was ever on the market. 

I don't think swallows will ever be worth more than a S1 gti, they'll come close, but most people want she sporty derivative of a hatchback. 

Swallows are getting more and more rare, hold onto it…….. well you could actually say that they've become one less rare since you found that one, haha. 

Last edit: by Roach

Back to the top

Mrred221 said

We'll it's finally arrived home,sounds as if it's come from the other side of the world,in fact it's been living in a stable block for the last 35 years about 8 miles from my house (spooky),myself and my son are going to get cracking this weekend,first job is to check all hoses,brake lines,fuel lines etc,then front seats removal and a good clean up,amazingly this car is very solid and hopefully a good weekend cleaning will make a huge difference.
I wasn't expecting any paperwork just the logbook but to my surprise I've been given original service pack complete with full service history up to its present 80,000miles,lots of receipts and old mots etc.
Registered on the 1-1-1975 which seems quite early,pdi has been stamped on8-1-1975 with 20 miles on the clock,super excited to get started,watch this space,thanks all for reading BFFB5E95-50CE-4608-9968-6DD56E3A76CA.jpeg 94F139AB-44CC-4020-9AE3-3E49B3049AE9.jpeg D0A055E8-7794-4C99-955B-44EC9D3D3133.jpeg DA9EEC23-FD58-4F18-A4A8-C92B2DA9D2A0.jpeg A625DC6F-C1AD-4628-877E-8EE972780546.jpeg
Those letters on the windows are cuuuute hahahaha
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.