Skip navigation

New swallowtail owner

Back to the top

Help and advice

Afternoon all,new to the group and hopefully buying my first mk1 golf tomorrow,going to be a good project for myself and my 18 year old son,he’s wanted one for ages and I’ve managed to find this one(wasn’t really looking for one just yet but it seems to have found me),a story for another time.
all future advice will be greatly appreciated as we have limited knowledge of these,it’s going to need a full going over by the looks but doesn’t look that bad as it’s been in a stable block for the last 35 years,I’ll get some pics posted up when we take delivery in the next few days,Many thanks.

Back to the top

New swallowtail owner

Welcome along photos please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Can't wait to see your posts and questions, back in March 2020 I was in the same position. I'm slowly getting there hoping to be ready for the summer and no doubt will be tinkering with it for many years to come 

Back to the top
We'll it's finally arrived home,sounds as if it's come from the other side of the world,in fact it's been living in a stable block for the last 35 years about 8 miles from my house (spooky),myself and my son are going to get cracking this weekend,first job is to check all hoses,brake lines,fuel lines etc,then front seats removal and a good clean up,amazingly this car is very solid and hopefully a good weekend cleaning will make a huge difference.
I wasn't expecting any paperwork just the logbook but to my surprise I've been given original service pack complete with full service history up to its present 80,000miles,lots of receipts and old mots etc.
Registered on the 1-1-1975 which seems quite early,pdi has been stamped on8-1-1975 with 20 miles on the clock,super excited to get started,watch this space,thanks all for reading BFFB5E95-50CE-4608-9968-6DD56E3A76CA.jpeg 94F139AB-44CC-4020-9AE3-3E49B3049AE9.jpeg D0A055E8-7794-4C99-955B-44EC9D3D3133.jpeg DA9EEC23-FD58-4F18-A4A8-C92B2DA9D2A0.jpeg A625DC6F-C1AD-4628-877E-8EE972780546.jpeg

Back to the top

New swallowtail owner

Love it. Very early golf and for sure one great car to be rescued.

Back to the top
Wow look at that… what a brilliant find, reminds me of my mums 1st Golf, back in the early 80s, same year colour and model.

Even the front wings have the plastic filler strip fitted so I guess they are genuine as they usually rot away after 10 years of use.

Shame someone fitted an aftermarket sunroof and is that an aerial in the roof?

What are your plans for it, keep it original and standard?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
WOW…… 

Good luck it looks a great find …. you may consider putting some numbers on the lottery this week.. I think after a find like that you may just be in a lucky streak 

Back to the top
Just checked the euromillions,no joy,never mind this is good as any win I think.
I think once it's up and running we'll try and keep pretty standard,as much as a new paint job and shiny wheels would me nice it sort of removes the history of it,personal choice I suppose.
All the bodywork looks pretty straight although I think someone may have taken a red spray can to a couple of small bits :dry: ,never mind,anyhow will get some inside before and after shots at the weekend  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top

Mrred221 said

Just checked the euromillions,no joy,never mind this is good as any win I think.
I think once it's up and running we'll try and keep pretty standard,as much as a new paint job and shiny wheels would me nice it sort of removes the history of it,personal choice I suppose.
All the bodywork looks pretty straight although I think someone may have taken a red spray can to a couple of small bits :dry: ,never mind,anyhow will get some inside before and after shots at the weekend  :lol:  :lol:

Does look a fab find and so sad about the pop up sun roof, its not even a period accessory being more 80s than 70s.

I'd love to see it cleaned up MOT'd and running rather than yet another nut and bolt concours d'elegance show pony trailer queen.

Keep us updated with lots of pics, and good luck

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Early 1800 I live a shiny concourse but unfortunately Inlove driving the car more 😂😂😂 I hope to see it running the highways and byways too in the future 

New swallow tail owner really looking forward to your posts 

Back to the top
Sounds like a good plan to keep it how it is and do an “oily rag restoration”,  in my eyes an original unrestored car is worth more than something that has been fully taken apart, it's only an original car once..

1 good thing about the car being more than 40 years old is that you don't need to get it MOTed if it's got it's original size engine as you can get it classed as an historic vehicle, I had to send my log book to the DVLA via the post office (it's also free) when I did this for my Mk1 Scirocco.

I would recommend getting some sort of MOT test just to get someone else to check things over especially the brakes as even standard brakes take some getting used to and yours may even be the non servo type brakes so plenty of leg work to get the car to stop but once you get used to them they are ok.

Start up a build/project thread as we would love to see how it all goes.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

New swallowtail owner

I think it will need at least one MOT. Then it is able to be classified as a historic after that I think.

Back to the top
You may be right, a bit of research needed.  :thumbs:   You also don’t need to pay road tax but you do need to register it for free road tax every year which is another bonus for having an old car..

Last edit: by mark1gls

Back to the top
Anybody, even a timeserved mechanic, that would drive a 45 year old car thats been parked up for 35 years and not get an MOT is mad.

I'm waiting for the inevitable crash by a MOT exempt death trap that wipes out a school bus queue and the entire classic car movement get shut down and banned apart from summer sunday drives to offical car shows.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

New swallowtail owner

I tend to agree. Perished brakes hoses, bulging side walls, dodgy steering joints etc. All the things people tend not to understand or regularly check.

How many on here say it’s MOT day and post they are pooping it to see if it passes. If we are all so good then they would fly through MOT every time.

That all said. For very well loved classics doing hundreds to just a couple of thousand miles a year. Then every 2 years for an MOT is probably acceptable.

I love this is the guys first post on the club and now seeing the eclectic diversion of his thread on the very first one. We will be speaking  about the cat lawer next

Back to the top
Thanks for all your replies,the plan was always to get a mechanic friend who mot's to go over it anyhow,wouldn't like to drive it far without an mot going over.
On a slightly different question,how do I get a value on it when I insure it,any ideas :$

Back to the top
I was thinking around £3-4K mark but when it gets road worthy could opt for slightly more O_o

Back to the top
Cool, reminds me of my old Senegal red October 74 built golf.

Mine was insured for 9k

E46B84ED-A02C-4A03-A63A-F3D7A17D2629.jpeg

Back to the top
That's very nice,blimey maybe one day,I think ours will need a lot more than a clean to look like that,is that the name of the red(Senegal).

Back to the top
Mine was Senegal. Look in the boot floor, your paint code sticker may still be there. 

Mine was a wreck before I got it. Had it welded, I sorted all the mechanics and got it registered and mot'd. Then ragged it around in its rough state. 

F1B793AA-25F1-461A-A121-C0527A5196DD.jpeg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.