Skip navigation

1982 mk1 GTI restoration aka 'Marcellus'

Back to the top

Starting a build thread to hopefully receive some encouragement when the tough gets going!

paceman said

Are you doing the engine rebuild yourself? In my opinion that's the best bit!
Progress has really slowed on mine due to access and the dire weather. I've still got the interior to refit and then check all the fuel pressures - so close!
Those other 2 are rather nice examples!

I am doing it myself! It's great to bolt it back together looking to get it rebored so I'll be getting 2008cc total 😊 it'll be exciting when I get the shell out to the shop! 

Oh really, are you doing a full resto too? Sounds like you're nearing the end there you
Must be so chuffed! 

Back to the top
So a quick update. I've sent Marcellus to the shop! He's getting sandblasted and then repaired. If I can afford he'll be going to the paint shop straight after 😊

Had to freewheel him down a field which was the first time I got to drive him had a massive smile on my face (Video attached)

Really excited going forward

Anyway here are some pics and the video.

Thanks for stopping by

8AC2072B-2640-4F46-AA8C-9F910F792D1D.jpeg D4731C48-27A6-4D13-B428-2DD1E44170FD.jpeg
IMG_5092.mov
E6421C6B-9042-4A51-9B30-32BB0D09AB27.jpeg

Back to the top
Hi guys, just thought I'd write a quick update post.

The car came back from the blasters and I was so shocked when I saw it I forgot to take pictures.

I saw it for the first time yesterday again, it's taken ages to get all the parts etc.

5ADA7138-32D8-4D1E-805F-383460F41A13.jpeg

There he is!

There are a lot of holes but apparently the worst part is the drivers side rear quarter and wheel arch has been completely plated up and filled over:

3F79172B-12F1-4996-8606-38C496369DC0.jpeg

ERROR: You specified an invalid attachment ID.

Back to the top
It's amzing what horrors body-filler can hide!
At least you know what you are dealing with now.
Looking forward to more updates on this one.

J

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.