Skip navigation

1982 mk1 GTI restoration aka 'Marcellus'

Back to the top

Starting a build thread to hopefully receive some encouragement when the tough gets going!

Hi there all and welcome to my build thread.

I recently picked up a 1982 mk1 golf GTI. It is a mess to say the least, final coat is in primer, rear disks (not bad), heaps of rust and a massive 2.0L mk3 engine which sits out the bottom of the car by about 6 inches. 

So far I've stripped her back, engine is out and I'm just struggling through the hack job that is the electronics in this car, lots of unconnected things knocking around which I have no idea where they go! If anyone could shed some light as to the process by which I sort out the wiring once the body is done I would greatly appreciate it!

Anyway here are some pictures of the car, I have called it Marcellus, as the car, to quote the great Marcellus Wallace is 'pretty f***ing far from ok'. 

Thanks for stopping by I'll be giving regular updates!!

1FC8268A-C002-4DBE-B47C-0C381C5120B0.jpeg 7E769C7D-FCF3-470F-B70E-667530363572.jpeg 8D33A091-C3BB-4948-AF5C-B701984ECF00.jpeg B28BEDCD-D52F-44BB-AF01-BC18C4CD25E3.jpeg

Back to the top
Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum.

How does it look underneath?

I can't believe how rusty the firewall and rain tray is.

Looks like someone has been at it with fibre glass paste as well.

Good luck with the restoration, plenty of knowledgeable members on here to give advice and for moral support  :thumbs:

Keep the updates coming.

Back to the top
definitely plenty bridging filler in the bulk head

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top

nicci21paul said

definitely plenty bridging filler in the bulk head

Rich. said

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum.

How does it look underneath?

I can't believe how rusty the firewall and rain tray is.

Looks like someone has been at it with fibre glass paste as well.

Good luck with the restoration, plenty of knowledgeable members on here to give advice and for moral support  :thumbs:

Keep the updates coming.

Thankyou for the welcome! Honestly the more I peel it back the more blasphemy I find, lots of questionable decisions, mystery buttons and switches here and there, and more colours of paint than I can describe.

Back to the top
Welcome to the forum! We are to support and provide grounding as needed!

Back to the top
Hi all, 

Thought I'd post an update.

The shell is almost complete! The mk3 engine is out, the loom is out, the fuel pump, filter and lines have been disconnected and removed.

Just need to remove the brake lines, on the left hand side of the shell, finish removing the cockpit loom and the job should be a good un' 

Question for any veterans out there, shall I remove the fuel tank if I'm going to keep it as a rolling shell on its back axle? Thankyou in advance!!!

Here are some pics

E89D8A29-64DF-483A-836C-665DA2FBF7FE.jpeg 3BC9572B-D7C9-4820-9B6B-3252225F0F9D.jpeg C34FFB9B-FFBE-414E-9C72-ED63C0286A01.jpeg DF1C2E1E-2F19-462E-8CA7-D604438AF8EB.jpeg

Back to the top
5f3d0d66a026a copy.jpg

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
Hello all,
the car is ready to go to a man and he shall sort out the body. I don't have any experience with welding or anything, and after a conversation with a man I bumped into who convinced me to get it done nice and proper, I'm sending it to a local guy who just finished my friends project.

Here are some pictures of the empty shell ready to go off. Had a bit of trouble getting the regulator off but other than that she's empty.

Thanks for stopping in!

8FF0CEFD-7F59-4252-AC2C-E19B4CC1D29C.jpeg F8F7614E-E65B-4D37-8E6C-B1C64CF7EC4A.jpeg C209A5AC-5A54-4864-9971-02BAB65884FA.jpeg E8646B64-8C37-4172-8A6B-53193F954015.jpeg 1E63E77A-0F95-489B-A64E-F698D5B26E3D.jpeg F34FE24A-69D6-4902-95E1-12FA216DCE3F.jpeg

Back to the top

the_whip said

5f3d0d66a026a copy.jpg

Even the dog has power steering…

Back to the top

Alexconorrhodes said

Question for any veterans out there, shall I remove the fuel tank if I'm going to keep it as a rolling shell on its back axle? Thankyou in advance!!!

It all depends on the condition of the axle mounts. To remove the tank you need to drop the rear axle.

If the axle mount isn't too clever you might have problems reattaching. Lots of penetrating oil on the 2 nuts and bolts per side before attempting.

You really want it removed if there is going to be lots of welding around it. :thumbs:

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top

Rich. said

Alexconorrhodes said

It all depends on the condition of the axle mounts. To remove the tank you need to drop the rear axle.

If the axle mount isn't too clever you might have problems reattaching. Lots of penetrating oil on the 2 nuts and bolts per side before attempting.

You really want it removed if there is going to be lots of welding around it. :thumbs:

Hi there,

I ended up dropping the axle off, think I asked the question because I thought it was going to be a huge job. Nah, 4 bolts is all that's preventing my car from becoming a motorbike. The fuel tank I reckon has a hole in it, is there a common fix for this that you know of?

Cheers,
Alex

Back to the top
Morning Alex,

If it has a hole in it the insides must be pretty bad. Get a torch in there to have a look.

The problem you face is original GTi fuel tanks with the integral swirl pot are obselete.

You can purchase a reproduction version which is marketed as a diesel / GTi tank but contains a metal cylinder where the GTi plastic swirl box should be. These are not as effective as the original tanks from avoiding fuel surge on hard cornering.

There are some places that maybe able to restore the tank as an option but are quite pricey. I would inspect the inside of your tank with a borescope to check the internal condition as if it's really rusty look out for a second hand tank.

This is assuming you want to keep it really original. If not there are other ways to prevent fuel surge by purchasing a carb fuel tank and use a later MK1 golf cabriolet lift pump to a cabriolet external swirl pot and then use the GTi fuel pump and ditch the accumulator.

Some options anyway 👍

Back to the top
Just a quick update. I'll talk a bit about the power house (the good stuff)

So I was originally thinking of going for a 1.8T conversion, had it all mapped out in my head but then a man I spoke to scared me with talk of pedal boxes and hydraulic clutches which changed my ways.

My dad wants it to stay as original as possible and we managed to secure a fairly complete 1.8 DX engine, little rough round the edges but happy for a full resto, it came with the air box, manifold and the braided cables so very happy.

Now here's where things get interesting. I was chatting to the lads at c and r enterprises (lovely chaps) and I'm using a 2E crank and piston heads, with their custom Conrods to make a 2.0L engine that looks exactly the same!! Very excited about it.

I have also acquired some p slots and some double headlights with red surround so I am very happy at the minute

I have also managed to secure a 4T gearbox with essentially 100mm flanges (ive got them need to install) so I should be sat on a .71 5th gear ratio 

Thanks for stopping by here are some piccies

326C5446-1E43-435E-8D45-0BE867391C6B.jpeg   3D96D009-4883-46B3-B6FE-71E3573CB9D9.jpeg EE5686D9-7997-4C1B-9291-9A47021CEF87.jpeg 4C3CE8A2-9A67-43F2-9D30-20EE5A9BACEC.jpeg

Back to the top
Bit of a shame someone worried you about the hydraulic clutch as it's not really that much of an issue.

You can buy it pre made or in a kit form. Both use the stock pedal box so it's like standard but introduces a master cylinder. Really easy to fit as well.

To be honest if you have a GTi I would keep it stock. If mine was a GTi I would do the same and keep it stock but it's not and I have gone crazy 😂

Back to the top

Rich. said

Bit of a shame someone worried you about the hydraulic clutch as it's not really that much of an issue.

You can buy it pre made or in a kit form. Both use the stock pedal box so it's like standard but introduces a master cylinder. Really easy to fit as well.

To be honest if you have a GTi I would keep it stock. If mine was a GTi I would do the same and keep it stock but it's not and I have gone crazy 😂

We've arrived at the same conclusion! Just disguise it as a 1.8 but it's really a 2.0L.

Just out of interest what have you done to yours 😂

Back to the top

Alexconorrhodes said

Rich. said

We've arrived at the same conclusion! Just disguise it as a 1.8 but it's really a 2.0L.

This: https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fmellow-yellow-24v

5f3807e48d2b7.jpg

Back to the top

Rich. said

Alexconorrhodes said

Rich. said

This: https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fmellow-yellow-24v

5f3807e48d2b7.jpg

good lord that's a lot of valves 

Back to the top
Hi folks, just a small update on the car

I've cleaned down my 1.8 block and have parts washed a lot of the auxiliaries, hopefully sandblasting some of them too.

Hopefully the cars going to the shop soon so I can crack on with the engine while it's away 😊 

Here's a pic of my puppy and a mk1 cabby engine

9DAAF3E9-0E08-425C-B543-2EC14E09DEB1.jpeg

Also went to see a friends mk1 and a friends friends mk1 😊
    00835FE9-23FA-4741-9AC5-FFF7FA4B9784.jpeg 3D0C3617-B634-400C-88A3-5EC612D308ED.jpeg

Sorry for the small updates I shall post a big one soon fingers crossed!

Back to the top
This has the makings of a great project, looks like you're in good company too! Look forward to the updates.

Back to the top
Are you doing the engine rebuild yourself? In my opinion that's the best bit!
Progress has really slowed on mine due to access and the dire weather. I've still got the interior to refit and then check all the fuel pressures - so close!
Those other 2 are rather nice examples!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.