Skip navigation

Petrol flow

Back to the top
Hi all - new to this club & looking for help !!! Just bought a MK1 Clipper asking a mechanic to fix for me - he has said I need to order a Petrol Flow - 2 Plug 2 pipes in & out about 2 inches in diameter as it broke when fitting new fuel tank - any ideas what that is & where I can buy one as car. Apologies new to this whole game and just learning as a I go cheers in advance 

Back to the top
Clipper so assuming carburetor not injection, do they mean the fuel pick up and guage sender
Vw-Golf-Mk1-In-Tank-Fuel-Sender-Unit.jpg

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
thanks for quick response much appreciated will check with the dude and let you know cheers

Back to the top
3764C886-17EA-4BF4-8ED0-6B0421AC2001.jpeg

Back to the top
I believe its part number 533919051 which is no longer available…
It also list 171919051L but a quick search on the web shows the sender with no out lets?

Might be worth dropping them an email to check?
https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/fuel-level-sender-171919051l-vdo-mk1-golf-scirocco-jetta-14122-p.asp

Sorry can't be much more help…

I know it's easy to say after the event but hitting the sender with a hammer to remove it is not the way to go when they are old plastic items, making a tool from a cross section of wood which slots in is a better way to remove them.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
So he hit a plastic component with hammer and chiesl lol

The pic I used is later metal version, think the eariler plastic version is obsolete

Back to the top
I thought the early versions where metal and later version was plastic like alot of stuff VW fitted to later cars to keep cost down like all the flanges and water pump housing in the engine bay, even the oil filler cap went from metal to plastic…..  O_o

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

I thought the early versions where metal and later version was plastic like alot of stuff VW fitted to later cars to keep cost down like all the flanges and water pump housing in the engine bay, even the oil filler cap went from metal to plastic…..  O_o

Not sure, the cars I've worked on the sender have all been S2 80-83 and had plastic fittings so assumed (never a good idea) the metal ones were later, esp with the later larger cabrio tank change.

Back to the top
LOL what kind of mechanic is he? Breaks parts off then asks the customer to obtain them?

Find a better mechanic or do it DIY before he damages something even more expensive! And definitely don't pay him a single penny.

Back to the top
Thanks all finding it great that there are a few of you who take the time to help out a new boy. I will be visiting the garage in the morning to work out how he can get this fixed as he described the part as small for about a fiver originally yet I sent the link from mark1gls above and mechanic agrees it's the right part but it's 55 quid so we are 50 quid out!!! 😢 He has fixed other stuff and when this is sorted i won't return as have found another mechanic who loves Mk1s so if I have anything else I will go there - thanks again all very kind 

Back to the top

DaveFMk1 said

Thanks all finding it great that there are a few of you who take the time to help out a new boy. I will be visiting the garage in the morning to work out how he can get this fixed as he described the part as small for about a fiver originally yet I sent the link from mark1gls above and mechanic agrees it's the right part but it's 55 quid so we are 50 quid out!!! 😢 He has fixed other stuff and when this is sorted i won't return as have found another mechanic who loves Mk1s so if I have anything else I will go there - thanks again all very kind 

Its not the same, its only the sender for the gauge for injection and Diesel models that take the fuel from an outlet at the bottom of the tank. The one you want has the sender for the gauge and the feed and return fuel line connections too

Back to the top
Hi there are 2 on website classic line rather than VDO it's 28 quid not 55 - is that the correct one ? 

https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/fuel-level-sender-171919051l-classic-line-mk1-golf-scirocco-jetta-20968-p.asp

Back to the top
Sorry also found this link i can collect on Friday - thoughts ? 

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/siemens-vdo-fuel-level-sender-unit-468440030

Back to the top

DaveFMk1 said

Sorry also found this link i can collect on Friday - thoughts ? 

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/siemens-vdo-fuel-level-sender-unit-468440030

That looks like just the sender again. You need one with the pipe that goes into the tank to connect to the feed to the fuel pump and a connection to the return from the carb.
carb pickup.jpeg

Back to the top
This is on ebay in a tank, looks the right type but says hatch version so not sure if exactly the same as yours?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk1-Golf-Fuel-Tank/193431321338?hash=item2d0967bafa%3Ag%3AX58AAOSw4A9enaMy&LH_ItemCondition=4

Back to the top
Yes I think that's the part - need to chat to the dude & go from there - thanks for sending over

Back to the top
Yes wrong part from EuroParts so back to square one as do need one with pipe with 2 pipes coming out of it - any ideas where I can buy whole unit 

Back to the top

DaveFMk1 said

Yes wrong part from EuroParts so back to square one as do need one with pipe with 2 pipes coming out of it - any ideas where I can buy whole unit 

Lots of googling to find someone in Latvia with NOS (new old stock) one and wants your kidney for payment, or something used from fleabay like the link I posted.

Back to the top
:lol:

Back to the top
So my search seems to have drawn a blank so far but is there a reason  I cant use another unit from other more modern golf say Mk5 ? If I can line up 2 outlets & its fits obviously ?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.