Skip navigation

Future classic ???

Back to the top
Another thing to be aware of is there's a whole "VW Scene" thing, which makes sense for aircooled but doesn't really make sense for the later cars, more of a "let's get on the bandwagon" especially when you lump in Audi, Skoda, Seat etc

Back to the top

Future classic ???

Rust and rot make classics. Those that died in the early years due to salt and water reduced the availability of the rest and therefore rareness

Also for me it’s a car you always may of wanted as a kid / young person. Porsche 911, Ferrari - mk1 GTI. Can’t say I dreamed of owning a diesel or 1.2 anything. And didn’t dream of owning a Marina or Orion.

Rally pedigree also drives what is a classic Quattro, RS, WRX. For me that’s a lot of the envy. Gravel at 80+MPH is fun and scary all in one go.

Finally can’t afford it - if I couldn’t afford it then and only a few can now then it seems to be a classic. Couldn’t afford an 80s 911. Guess what still can’t.  Same for many cars.

Classic engineering has very little to do with it or we would all be driving citrons and Mercs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Probably what defines a classic is the sum total of all people who have a hat in the ring. It's a car which is worth preserving well past its sell by date as a practical everyday vehicle. Just cos I want Skoda 120 s n Lada Rivas crushed as an insult to automotive engineering doesn't mean people who disagree are wrong.

Back to the top
Agree with pretty much all of this, beauty in the eye of the beholder and historically significant, and/or special or great in some way.

Slightly disagree with excluding Allegros/Marinas as they are equally historically significant, and/or special or great in some way. Their place in the decline of the british motor industry and that lots special to many families growing up in the 70s etc. The 'my dad had one' social history and significance.

Some cars such as italian supercars are classed as classic but are only great in the £value that they achieve. All the articles I've read say they are unrelaible, horrible to drive and are an expensive kit car.

Also I think the investment/collector car buyer has skewed the market, pretty run of the mill BMWs and Mercs with big engines have become classics because someone buys them and parks them in a carcoon for 10 years hoping to beat the stock market and tax man.

paul_c said

Its quite a personal thing. Sure, insurance companies "define" who they give classic car insurance to (or rather which cars, but its based purely on age). By that logic, every car is a future classic.

Personally for me it needs to be either historically significant, and/or special or great in some way. So Allegros, Marinas etc don't cut it - but I respect that they have their loyal following and we ought to preserve the remaining ones too. More so we can compare them to the better cars!

The GTI was definitely a great car, interesting if you look back historically it wasn't the first of anything - the R5 was earlier for hot hatch, the A40 farina earlier for hatchback, Fiat 127 defined the "modern" transverse engine layout with end-on gearbox, etc etc But it pulled together a lot of the elements of what went on to create a new genre. Similarly, the Golf convertible was a very well executed conversion, at a time when others were a bit of a bodge.

You could also define it with their depreciation curve on value - they'll have gone through the trough and be on the way up. I don't think we're there with TTs etc yet.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

But isn't an A1 just an expensive Polo and a S1 a fast expensive Polo?

Well put money where mouth is on this future classic malarkey and this is wife's new car.   It's an absolute hoot of a car she better keep the keys hidden!

B2149F67-CE60-4D50-B37A-FBB9DA67FF2D.jpeg 99681426-C999-4952-A953-DFD28CEF896D.jpeg

Back to the top
Nice motor there

Back to the top
They are in high demand in the South East with the auto box. If you have one, and didn't pay daft money for it…..you've done well!

Back to the top
Thanks gents.    S1 is unique for Audi S cars in it only came with a manual gearbox the extra 25kg for the DSG was too heavy for the front.   There won't be an S1 for the current A1 range and not sure if they will ever make another one - although I've just been reading up on the Yaris GR now that's a bonkers car that might prompt Audi to make an RS1 especially as the main complaint about the S1 was the asking price new and what else you could get for the money.

Paid strong money for it from Audi as approved used but comes with 2 year warranty so it's horses for courses.  I've seen cheaper ones and dearer ones - it's not got a whole world of options on it 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.