Skip navigation

Failed MOT

Back to the top

Backinblack said

I always go for 3 clicks. I would slacken of your hand brake cables fully before adjusting the shoes and then you can continue to adjust on the cable as they wear until you next take the drums off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify how should i adjust the shoes?
would that be pulling down the auto adjuster through the hub ' not sure what else to do

Back to the top
The correct way to adjust the rears is to make sure that the adjuster is all the way up, and that your brake cable is properly installed and that there is no movement in the cable lever. Brakes fully bleed

With the Drum on and wheel bearing nutted and pinned at the proper spin…. Wheels back on the ground.
e-brake off

Step on the brake pedal until it stops, No need to have the engine running…. you can usually hear the rear mechanism move if it the car that is is in a quiet area…
Do this about 3 times.

Start the car, and put in reverse back it up a wee bit and Stomp the brakes….

Now with a properly tensioned cable at this point your rear brake adjuster should of been pulled down to make the shoes ride in to the drum slightly.

Pulling up the e-brake you should get about 3 clicks and the brake firms up and holds the car stationary.

I have found that when I fully engage the e-brake, If I place the car in reverse the brakes will hold and the back of the car starts to go up…

If you park on a hill with the e-brake adjusted and pulled up, your car won't budge at all.  If it does then you probably need to adjust your cables. Do both sides equally one spin at a time… Don't get toooooo tight as you can bustivcate a cable and depending on how it breaks you can totally lock up one side as the individual strands unspool and get caught in the inner cable spiral… and they can hold pressure on the e-brake lever….   Had that happen 3 times in my life, and once was on a truck that I was driving down the road until the truck started hopping…. from the rear end locking up….Yes I just had the cables adjusted by a "Shop" as they said they were too loose……Needless to say I had to pull over and cut them loose to continue…. so I could take it back and have new shoes and cables replaced at their cost.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Hi guys got some good news 😜😜😜 she passed brakes superb and emissions bang on the new readings were co 0.50 cheers 164 

Thanks for your help guys 

Back to the top
That's good news  :thumbs: .

I would increase the mixture just a little as 0.5 is on the low side.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Haynes for the 1.8 (with factory pooburg of course) is 0.5 to 1.5 so its just within spec

mark1gls said

That's good news  :thumbs: .

I would increase the mixture just a little as 0.5 is on the low side.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Its a Webber chaps, but just looked and the spec is the same so will give it a quarter turn out.

Just need to get chortle on my roof now I'm excited

Back to the top
I would turn it even less than 1/4 turn at you want it just a little higher.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.