Skip navigation

Series 1 Driver

Back to the top

Daytona said

Oddly my car was specced with chrome and rubber inset bumpers on the build, and yours has the later bumpers. I guess the run out Driver was a bit of a parts bin car:lol:Has it had many owners? How did you find it? Would love to know.

Hi Marcus

The bumpers are the only thing I'd consider changing on it. Would love chrome but I'll wait in the build info.

As metalsback has advised, my car doesn't appear to be a run out model as it was manufactured 79-80?

3 owners before me. Husband and wife and the chap I bought it from. He only had it for 6 months and obviously bought it to make money from, which is fair enough but I wish he hadn't registered it in his name!

The car has been in Stoke all its days till now and was clearly the pride and joy of the first owner. It's been protected with wax/oil in various places. When he died in early 90's it was transferred to his wife's name, but she never drove as she couldn't bare to look at it. Even when the guy I bought it from went to view it, it was the woman's brother he met to do the deal!
Maybe you could send me a picture of your car so I can see how it looks with the chrome bumpers

Back to the top

Daytona said
Oddly my car was specced with chrome and rubber inset bumpers on the build, and yours has the later bumpers. I guess the run out Driver was a bit of a parts bin car:lol:Has it had many owners? How did you find it? Would love to know.

Hi Marcus

The bumpers are the only thing I'd consider changing on it. Would love chrome but I'll wait in the build info.

As metalsback has advised, my car doesn't appear to be a run out model as it was manufactured 79-80?

3 owners before me. Husband and wife and the chap I bought it from. He only had it for 6 months and obviously bought it to make money from, which is fair enough but I wish he hadn't registered it in his name!

The car has been in Stoke all its days till now and was clearly the pride and joy of the first owner. It's been protected with wax/oil in various places. When he died in early 90's it was transferred to his wife's name, but she never drove as she couldn't bare to look at it. Even when the guy I bought it from went to view it, it was the woman's brother he met to do the deal!
Maybe you could send me a picture of your car so I can see how it looks with the chrome bumpers

Back to the top

MetalsBack said

Daytona said

leembo said

Here you go metalsback

thanks

jim  D6B51F9B-9F59-4154-8894-38CC7C24B9DF.jpeg

714147 is your chassis number and mine 617590 so 96,557 builds earlier if they follow the logical sequence. but was registered 1/1/1980 in Uk.

It's a 1980 model year which ran from 1st Aug 1979 to 31st July 1980.  Like Marcus says the 714147 is the serial number and they you would think they run consecutively but I'd be surprised if they dug out nearly another 100k cars in the last 2 months of that build year, seems a lot so I wonder if different lines or similar  had different numbers?  I'll try and do some digging on serial numbers 

Cheers mate. 

So that means it's been at the dealer for a year or thereabouts. That is strange for that era, as cars sales weren't like they are now and sales were low compared to today. 
Wonder if it was demo, however cause the drivers were so few I don't think they'd have used a driver as a demo?

Thanks again mate. Another piece of info 

Jim 

Back to the top
Wolfsburg was churning out @2000+ Golfs a day so thats about 120,000+ in 2 months.

Does the V5 say its an import or declared new , still can't believe some one bought it and waited 12 months to use it or a dealer had £25,000 in todays £ sat doing nothing for a year.

leembo said

MetalsBack said

Daytona said

leembo said

Here you go metalsback

thanks

714147 is your chassis number and mine 617590 so 96,557 builds earlier if they follow the logical sequence. but was registered 1/1/1980 in Uk.

It's a 1980 model year which ran from 1st Aug 1979 to 31st July 1980.  Like Marcus says the 714147 is the serial number and they you would think they run consecutively but I'd be surprised if they dug out nearly another 100k cars in the last 2 months of that build year, seems a lot so I wonder if different lines or similar  had different numbers?  I'll try and do some digging on serial numbers 

Cheers mate. 

So that means it's been at the dealer for a year or thereabouts. That is strange for that era, as cars sales weren't like they are now and sales were low compared to today. 
Wonder if it was demo, however cause the drivers were so few I don't think they'd have used a driver as a demo?

Jim 

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
  Doesn't say anything on V5 and unfortunately I don't have a copy of the original document. I'm pretty sure it's not an import. I've applied for the build info this morning, so that should clear it up. The fact it has original dealer plates from Autobon on it would suggest that it's not an import. Maybe no one fancied it back then in Stoke and it took a while to shift it 

Back to the top
Here is the' Mandarin Menace':lol: IMG_4011.JPG

Back to the top
I am missing the Driver badges, and would bite the hand off anyone who has some!!! Anyone?

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

Wolfsburg was churning out @2000+ Golfs a day so thats about 120,000+ in 2 months.

Does the V5 say its an import or declared new , still can't believe some one bought it and waited 12 months to use it or a dealer had £25,000 in todays £ sat doing nothing for a year.

leembo said

MetalsBack said

Daytona said

leembo said

Here you go metalsback

thanks

Cheers mate. 

Jim 

That's some output!!  Fair play to them 

A demo would surely need to be registered and if the dealer brought it to increase sale numbers for manufacturers bonus it would still need to be registered to count.   The fact it was registered bang on 1st Aug would suggest the new owner was waiting for the new reg but it's definitely an intriguing one

Back to the top

Daytona said

Beautiful mate.   I've a kidney waiting for you if you ever decide to part with it 

Back to the top
Wow so cool that another s1 driver has turned up! I own a mars red one (although I have modified mine over the 17 years I've owned it. Slowly putting it back to a more standard look). Mine didn't have the door pockets like yours though. I've never seen those on a series 1 driver before? I love how original yours is!! A very special find!! 
I now know of 3 orange ones (including Daytona's on here), a santos green one and my red one. Would be very special to get them lined up at the AGM one day! I bet that has t happened since they were new?

13A82DF4-8905-40F2-8930-95C90F9DD2F7.jpeg

Back to the top

That's lovely mate 

Like it with the chrome bumpers 

MetalsBack said

Daytona said

Beautiful mate.   I've a kidney waiting for you if you ever decide to part with it 

Back to the top
Nice car mate 

I see you don't have the badge on the tailgate and either does Daytona. I  was wondering if the rear driver badge was painted the colour of the car? My badge is orange, slightly lighter than the car. Wondering if that was a feature of them?

The door pockets were meant to be standard on all S1 drivers?

Santos green was what I really really wanted. It's such a horrible, vibrant green. But as you say, I've done really well to get such an original, unmolested one 😊😊

golf1980 said

Wow so cool that another s1 driver has turned up! I own a mars red one (although I have modified mine over the 17 years I've owned it. Slowly putting it back to a more standard look). Mine didn't have the door pockets like yours though. I've never seen those on a series 1 driver before? I love how original yours is!! A very special find!! 
I now know of 3 orange ones (including Daytona's on here), a santos green one and my red one. Would be very special to get them lined up at the AGM one day! I bet that has t happened since they were new?

13A82DF4-8905-40F2-8930-95C90F9DD2F7.jpeg

Back to the top
There is one on ebay currently.

Back to the top

leembo said

MetalsBack said

Daytona said

leembo said

Here you go metalsback

thanks

Cheers mate. 

Jim 

I've managed to get an approximate build date of 21st July 1980 but a couple of days of error either side.    

Using the same logic I get Marcus's build date to 31st May 1980 but he knows his is 2nd June 1980.   Allegedly the last serial number for May 1980 was 618085.   So take my date with a slight pinch of salt 

Do you have a label in the boot with a 6 digit number that starts with 172?

Back to the top

MetalsBack said

leembo said

MetalsBack said

Daytona said

leembo said

Here you go metalsback

thanks

Cheers mate. 

Jim 

I've managed to get an approximate build date of 21st July 1980 but a couple of days of error either side.    

Using the same logic I get Marcus's build date to 31st May 1980 but he knows his is 2nd June 1980.   Allegedly the last serial number for May 1980 was 618085.   So take my date with a slight pinch of salt 

Do you have a label in the boot with a 6 digit number that starts with 172?

Thanks for that mate, much appreciated.

No sticker in the boot, which I'm surprised at, as the guy was obviously very into keeping it original. Stickers still present on door jambs and are like new 

Back to the top
That's the info back from Wolfsburg.

No build date but confirms car was shipped to UK in July 1980.

Metalsback not too far off with his dates.

Lists all the special features that it came with, except one which they can't identify 

I'll post up pictures later 

Back to the top

leembo said

That's the info back from Wolfsburg.

No build date but confirms car was shipped to UK in July 1980.

Metalsback not too far off with his dates.

Lists all the special features that it came with, except one which they can't identify 

I'll post up pictures later 

Maybe the one they can't identify was a flux capacitor, least that would explain the "missing" year!! 

Back to the top
Interesting stuff.

I have the info from Wolfsburg for my Derby and that also has unidentified on it. Makes me wonder if it's some sort of RHD thing?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
image.jpg

Back to the top
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.