Skip navigation

Series 1 Driver

Back to the top
DA21A56E-5E67-403B-8C60-4958FB157A4B.jpeg B18793C7-0A9D-4B08-9D51-0E1EE1332474.jpeg FDB6BE47-080A-419E-91C0-EDDE11CAB158.jpeg

Been looking for one of these for near 30 years since my sister wrote off her Santiago green one in the early 90’s

only 40k original miles and absolutely rock solid. It’s all original and has all the rare parts that make it a series 1 driver

Been off the road for 22 years. Runs a treat, can’t believe it. Starts first time every morning when I move it outside.

so chuffed with it. Think I love it more than my campaign (certainly a lot rarer and unusual)

Back to the top

Series 1 Driver

What a beauty. Nice find.
Interesting that it’s a series 1 on an X plate, I remember having an early series 2 with the different rear lights and dash on a W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top

Series 1 Driver

What an amazing find. A Series 1 of any model is on my bucket list.

Mike, I briefly owned an X reg series 1 diesel back in the mid 90’s that I bought off a mate as a stop gap between cars. I always wondered why it was an X reg when there were series 2 W reg cars but I guess it could have been registered late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Very nice indeed.  Is it a later interior?   Or was this a driver special?   Door cards look to me like they are from an s2 and maybe seats as well?  

How's that s1 dash? Any cracking from heat or have you really hit the jackpot on that and it's crack free?  My old s1 was warped and cracked to death.  Managed to find a near mint one that had been in someone's loft for 20plus years!  

Looks very tidy as well for something parked up for so long.   Great find 

Back to the top
Very nice, I'm guessing it's a X-reg being an import? Think back then they issued a plate relating to import date rather than manufacture date?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

Very nice, I'm guessing it's a X-reg being an import? Think back then they issued a plate relating to import date rather than manufacture date?

That's my guess too, a (for example) 1980 car imported in 1982 would receive an X reg instead of its age-correct V reg. It is weird that a RHD car would have a 2 year gap in between being manufactured and being registered in the UK though. I can only guess it might have started out its life in Ireland??? I doubt a car would have stood that long at the official dealer/importer?

Back to the top
Could have been military knowing they were returning to blighty soon. Certain it wasn't sat in a compound anywhere waiting to be sold.

Loads of army surplus Landrovers from 60/70s have reg dates 10-15 years too young

paul_c said

Early-1800 said

That's my guess too, a (for example) 1980 car imported in 1982 would receive an X reg instead of its age-correct V reg. It is weird that a RHD car would have a 2 year gap in between being manufactured and being registered in the UK though. I can only guess it might have started out its life in Ireland??? I doubt a car would have stood that long at the official dealer/importer?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Wow!! Same as my (restored/slightly modded )Series1 Driver-but much much better :thumbs:It is in incredible original condition! and am so glad you have it. The interior is exactly as it should be! really lovely.
Look forward to seeing it at the Annual Gathering IMG_3127 - Copy.JPG :Pkeep it original though….

Back to the top
Hi guys

all uk original. Not an import. Registered 1st August 1981. The first owner obviously held off till the new registration plates came out on that date. The car has been n Stoke all its life till now and was bought from Autobon Ltd and still has the dealer plates on it.

it will be kept very original. The dash is perfect. I really do feel as I’ve hit he jackpot as it’s so original and great condition. The door sills are like new as is the boot floor etc

The only negative is the surface rust to the roof 😢😢

Back to the top
That is nice - you have found an ace - I’m jealous!

one question- why is the aerial on the o/S wing?

Back to the top

Daytona said

Wow!! Same as my (restored/slightly modded )Series1 Driver-but much much better :thumbs:It is in incredible original condition! and am so glad you have it. The interior is exactly as it should be! really lovely.
Look forward to seeing it at the Annual Gathering IMG_3127 - Copy.JPG :Pkeep it original though….

It might be my eye sight but do the doors have door bins on them?  Was that unique to the driver?

Back to the top

MetalsBack said

Daytona said

It might be my eye sight but do the doors have door bins on them?  Was that unique to the driver?

Yes! the Driver was quite high in spec had pockets and used Porche hounds tooth seat trim with a different surround cloth to any others.

Back to the top

Daytona said

MetalsBack said

Daytona said

Yes! the Driver was quite high in spec had pockets and used Porche hounds tooth seat trim with a different surround cloth to any others.

That's what threw me!  Every day is a school day.    It's absolutely stunning I have to say.  Whilst I'm in learning mode…The brushed dash was shared with the s1 GLi and scirocco any other golf models that you know of?  Slightly related I managed to find the scirocco factory fit stereo that was also brushed chrome for my GLi.   I don't think the golf had this option but again might be wrong 

Back to the top
Nice car Daytona 😂

Is your one one of the 2 that is licensed?

On my car under the steering wheel to the left is a switch type thing. Does yours hav this, and if so what is it?

I don’t know why the aerial s on the osf. The car des have the original stereo manual and installation instructions with some notes and radio stations noted on it in pencil

can someone advise on build date if I post the vin plate?

Back to the top

leembo said

Nice car Daytona 😂

On my car under the steering wheel to the left is a switch type thing. Does yours hav this, and if so what is it?

I don’t know why the aerial s on the osf. The car des have the original stereo manual and installation instructions with some notes and radio stations noted on it in pencil

Pop a photo up here and I'll try. 

Back to the top
Here you go metalsback

thanks

jim  D6B51F9B-9F59-4154-8894-38CC7C24B9DF.jpeg

Back to the top

leembo said

Nice car Daytona 😂

Thanks! YesI love it and it is on the road and licenced.
I think there were only 5 Driver's originally sold in Manderin Orange from VW, so its one of a very few that still exist today.Thank god you found it as someone else could have bought it, junked the engine and made it into a 'Gti'.We need to meet up if your going to the Gathering-shouldn't be hard to find you :lol:
I have that switch too and to be honest it does not seem to do anything but could be for the heated rear window?
I guess its possible that the dealer could have fitted the radio later-and plonked the aerial in the r/h wing? or perhaps all were all there on s1 Drivers?
You need to get the full build certificate from VW as then you will know all. Mine was built on 2/6/1980 and had the Z08 Option which includes M714 special colour for UK. Still has original 1.3 GF engine and gearbox too. Enjoy.
Marcus.

Back to the top

leembo said

Here you go metalsback

thanks

714147 is your chassis number and mine 617590 so 96,557 builds earlier if they follow the logical sequence. but was registered 1/1/1980 in Uk.

Back to the top
Oddly my car was specced with chrome and rubber inset bumpers on the build, and yours has the later bumpers. I guess the run out Driver was a bit of a parts bin car:lol:Has it had many owners? How did you find it? Would love to know.

Back to the top

Daytona said

leembo said

Here you go metalsback

thanks

714147 is your chassis number and mine 617590 so 96,557 builds earlier if they follow the logical sequence. but was registered 1/1/1980 in Uk.

It's a 1980 model year which ran from 1st Aug 1979 to 31st July 1980.  Like Marcus says the 714147 is the serial number and they you would think they run consecutively but I'd be surprised if they dug out nearly another 100k cars in the last 2 months of that build year, seems a lot so I wonder if different lines or similar  had different numbers?  I'll try and do some digging on serial numbers 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.