Skip navigation

Mk1 cabby headliner

Back to the top
Hi all, hope you are doing ok

Hoping someone with some knowledge of cabby roofs and headliners can help…. my headliner at the back on both sides going down the C pillars isn't attached to anything, I assume it should attach to the roof frame but how? Am I missing some fixings or does it simply glue against it? As you can see it just flops about and looks pants

Cheers!

20200329_093953.jpg

20200329_093941.jpg

Back to the top

Mk1 cabby headliner

Yes it is glued and tensioned over retaining spikes on the underside of the parcel shelf supports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Thanks, what about on the sides parallel to the shape of the rear window? Glue there also?

Can you suggest a decent glue to use, I have an aerosol can of contact adhesive left over from when I did out kitchen floor but thinking that wont be strong enough?

Thanks for your help!

Back to the top
There are 5 or six fingers on the under side of the parcel shelf wings that hold the sides of the  headliner taught.
Open the fingers with a flat blade be careful not to break the fingers…

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 7.19.59 AM.png

Pull the headliner down (after you get your rear cable set) and over all the fingers, then I usually use a 10mm long socket on a screw driver attachment to push the material over the fingers to attack then bend back flat.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Brilliant, thanks for the tip

Back to the top

Mk1 cabby headliner

The headliner wraps around the corner webbing straps. These run parallel to the rear window frame.
It’s glued and stapled.
It’s also screwed behind the plastic trim.
If that’s all undone you’ll need to undo the hood to get to do the job properly.
Hard to tell from the photos.
It looks like the headliner has been painted black at some point.

Back to the top
add to what Chortle said.

He forgot to add that wee bit of padding part on the straps that is there….. but Hey I usually never have to remove that.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 7.42.33 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 7.42.49 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 7.43.04 AM.png

This last bit is for those that are missing the "door Seals that hold the side wings to the rear of the hinge cover to prevent things fro rolling into the hinges.  I usually use a piece of Hose that is sliced as it works well is easier to get, and cheaper (more cost effective).

I have had to fish Baby-toys, sunscreen bottles, tennis balls out of the hinges….and the like…Once time a Birth control pill container that had some left over pills in it…… Oppsie. :)

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Sounding more of a pain in the arris by the minute! And yeah think the lining as been dyed black at some point. Any idea on cost for a pro to sort this and replace what's missing?

Back to the top

Mk1 cabby headliner

Never needed to take the padding off the webbing.
But have had to many times re glue them down again.

Back to the top

Mk1 cabby headliner

Also you’d need to replace the elastic from the corner frame eyelets time the tab on the frame to keep the upper part of the headliner in place as you lover and raise the top.
These are always missing.

Back to the top

Richarddarrenb said

Sounding more of a pain in the arris by the minute! And yeah think the lining as been dyed black at some point. Any idea on cost for a pro to sort this and replace what's missing?

Calling Chortle…. Calling Chortle… as I think if I came over and sorted it out the Travel and Lodging would be more than the car is probably worth… :) . that is if I could leave the country right now… :)

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Mk1 cabby headliner

The issue being with these cars is to get to the headliner properly and to assess what’s needed is to remove the top.
Depending on how bad the headliner is will determine the cost.
If you need a new headliner then it’s a strip down back to the frame.
When these were made in the factory they were built in order.
Headliner, interliner, padding then top.
Without having the car in front of me it’s be hard to say.

Back to the top

chortle said

Also you’d need to replace the elastic from the corner frame eyelets time the tab on the frame to keep the upper part of the headliner in place as you lover and raise the top.
These are always missing.

Holy horse Ca- Ca Batman…. I have had to replace them only once…. and once one of the Rubber bands that are the pre-load for the rear window….

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I will say two of the easiest top I ever had to replace…..
my 58 Frog-Eye Sprite, and my 67 MG Midget….

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Mk1 cabby headliner

Back to the top

Mk1 cabby headliner

I feel your pain mate

Back to the top

Mk1 cabby headliner

The cabs over here top wise are generally in such poor condition.
Most want to spend money on wheels etc whilst driving about with water dripping in.

Back to the top

Mk1 cabby headliner

Give me a call on 07973537991 Richard.

Back to the top

chortle said

The cabs over here top wise are generally in such poor condition.
Most want to spend money on wheels etc whilst driving about with water dripping in.

You have just summed up the previous owner of my cab perfectly! Spent shedloads on paint wheels custom retrim all the while waters pouring in and the carpets sodden!!

Will give you a shout for a chat about this as want to get it fixed when the gov allows us all to leave the house…

Back to the top
One of the worst ones that I have ever seen, and that isn't all that had to be repaired.

Make a new Parcel shelf, and repair rust holes in the side cable tray.

http://www.toplessrabbit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3014&p=27672&hilit=sad+top#p27672

here is the parcel shelf how-to.
http://www.toplessrabbit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3011&p=26508&hilit=parcel+shelf#p26508

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 8.20.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 8.21.55 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 8.22.24 AM.png

The worst thing about it was that it was a Champagne edition over here that they re-sprayed red, and not even Mars red.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.