Skip navigation

Fuse box disassembly

Back to the top
thats the autochoke heater wire I mentioned earlier, when I said 'red spade' I meant red spade housing, not red wire :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks, pal

so that cable isn't needed any more?

Back to the top
not if you have a weber :)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

not if you have a weber :)

thanks pal' had a nice hour or 2 fitting my starter relay today' I'm very please with this now' time to move to the internal wiring' any idea as to what these cables are for ' the small black cable is for the alarm sensor not sure what the others are for.
IMG_1675.JPG IMG_1676.JPG

Back to the top
non of that is standard, I'd assume left over sections of alarm/immobiliser wiring. chase it back to source :)

or might be PO added speaker wiring actually

Back to the top

rubjonny said

non of that is standard, I'd assume left over sections of alarm/immobiliser wiring. chase it back to source :)

or might be PO added speaker wiring actually

Cheers pal I've just re-installed my fuse box the beauty fired up straight away' I've just been sitting in the car whilst idling and everything works perfectly' those wires are coming from the electric door window' so need to fathom that out' the passenger side is manual' what I did notice is that the radiator fan didn't kick in' It did before so will have to check the wiring diagram' there was 1 black wire behind the fuse box that I was unsure so left it for the time being so it could be the culprit but I don't want to go plugging it in anywhere.

any ideas rubjonny?? IMG_1722.JPG

Back to the top
that looks to be ignition live for the handbrake light, it goes to G spade 2 or 5 :)

guess PO decided only the driver deserved luxury windows :lol:

for the fan it wont kick in till gauge gets to around 3/4, once the stat has opened and coolant has warmed the rad up nice and toasty. on a cold day with engien just sat idle it will take a while to get that hot

Back to the top

rubjonny said

for the fan it wont kick in till gauge gets to around 3/4, once the stat has opened and coolant has warmed the rad up nice and toasty. on a cold day with engien just sat idle it will take a while to get that hot

If he has A/C and the blower switch is on with the selector lever in any of the blue or Defrost position, the fan will kick on at start….na na na na na na… that is if he has a/c….. If not disregard.  :)

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

rubjonny said

that looks to be ignition live for the handbrake light, it goes to G spade 2 or 5 :)

Ok will try the thermostat tomoz'ignition live? black cable I guess the easy way is to pull the handbrake up as that also worked before. G spade 2or 5 ??

Back to the top
If you're looking at a UK spec MK2 especially with a carb engine it's very unlikely it will have Aircon :p

G spade 2 or 5 is fine :)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

If you're looking at a UK spec MK2 especially with a carb engine it's very unlikely it will have Aircon :p

Sorry pal where about is G spade 2 or 5

Back to the top

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

okmate said

rubjonny said

Sorry pal where about is G spade 2 or 5

Got it mate

Back to the top

mark1gls said

There actually looks like there's 10 G spades' are they all positive connections?

Back to the top
No only g spade 1, 2, 3 and 5 are 9gnition lives. 1 and 3 go dead while cranking, but you could still use them. Factory feed for this one is 2 or 5 thouh

Back to the top

rubjonny said

Yes but which PO' there's a long list of owners' the wiring is awful oh well there's nothing else to do

Back to the top

rubjonny said

No only g spade 1, 2, 3 and 5 are 9gnition lives. 1 and 3 go dead while cranking, but you could still use them. Factory feed for this one is 2 or 5 thouh

Thanks pal

Back to the top
I thought you needed the Pictures of the Fuse box 89 Cabriolet internals so the thread is accurate.  :)

Use a screw driver to pop the tabs.

pry it apart carefully.

internal view, yes that is corrosion on f1 that can be removed… which I did.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

I thought you needed the Pictures of the Fuse box 89 Cabriolet internals so the thread is accurate.  :)

pry it apart carefully.

Briano1234 said

pry it apart carefully.

I'm ok pal all sorted here
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.