What's the difference?

That ain't gonna fit…

Untitled.jpg

How do I get that screw out?

IMG_2293.jpg

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
remove the mk2 ecu from the metal retaining bracket, remove the mk1 ecu bracket from the car then you need to fit the mk2 ecu into the mk1 bracket.

the screw circled probably doesnt need to be removed, just pull the tin metal clip outwards to release the mk1 plug from the ecu

dont bolt it all back together till you know the mk2 ecu is working, just plug the loom into it and see

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Progress!

When you say tin metal clip, do you mean this?
IMG_2297.jpg

Is there one of these clips at the other side? Impossible to see.
IMG_2296.jpg

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
That screw holds the ECU to the bracket.
You can only get to it after you remove the ECU with the Bracket.

Remove the connector.
Remove the screw at the top of the bracket that holds the ecu and bracket at the top of the bracket, then slide the bracket to the right to disengage the assembly off the rain tray….There is a slot on the bottom of the bracket, and a stud on the rain tray that holds the bracket to the tray at the bottom.

Once off, you can then remove the screws that hold the ECU to the bracket.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
the 2nd clip is the ECU one, pull that towards the camera then that side of the ecu plug comes out, then unhooks from the other side.

1st one is for the spark module, push the middle of it towards the plug or up in the photo and the plug pulls off.

remove the ecu brackets as Briano says, unscrew the mk2 ecu from its bracket, grab the spark moduel off it too handy for a sapre.

plug the mk2 ecu in before you swap anything over in case its blown, use the mk1 spark module as known good. see if the car starts, if it does great the mk2 ecu is good. try the mk2 spark module as well, if it still starts great put that in the glovebox as a known good spare. swap mk2 ecu into mk12 bracket, refit bracket and you're good to go

Back to the top
finally-it-works.jpg

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
I can't test it as I'm supposed to be working :(

After I have done that, I wonder if I should keep this chipped ECU or send it back and get either a normal ECU, or choose a custom chip for my ECU.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
as the 2h and pb have all the same sensors, injectors, pistons, cam etc etc then the mk2 pb chip will be just as good for a 2h :)

tuning chips though all much of a muchness, that is to say not as brilliant as the marketing would have you believe :lol: I've tried several different types in my digifant and non of them really made a massive difference over standard certainly not worth the prices asked for them.

fit the ecu and drive the car, if it feels good then great carry on, dont bother messing about any further ;)

Back to the top
Ah, okay. As long as it's not making it worse.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
Untitled.jpg

The headers are on opposite ends relative to the mounting holes. Can the chips be swopped over?

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
That is the difference in ECUS between a Jetta/Passat, and a Cabriolet.  The ECUs do work between them, but the board layout and the Case layout is bassackwards of each other.

When I picked up a spare ecu from the yard (breakers) I noticed this feature, and you can mount the non-cabriolet ECU in the Bracket, but you have to Drill holes in  the top, and well dremel them to look nice and you can affix with a good wire tie.  It clamps the same but as it isn't really bolted well you have to add a ground to the heat sink to frame, and then the bonding wire at the top.

The heat sink is at Ground for the ECU and so the addition of it is a good thing,,,,

I do think that the "Chip" you show is really a different resistor pack, as that was a common thing a few years ago.

There was a Gentleman from Greece (Black_cabbie) on the VW Vortex that actually had a true Chip that folks raved about but I think either way was 50 to 80 bucks and I thought about it….but decided to go a different route….

I found that increasing the inlet diameter of the air box, removing the Snorkle and re-directing the inflow of air  behind the grille, as well as using a K&N air filter vastly improved the throttle feel… But at the same time I Ran a 4-2 manifold and got rid of the cracked single outlet, as well as running a Dual Down Pipe, (removing the cat same for Emission testing once a year).  Probably gave me more ponies by the Seat of the Pants Method than a chip ever could…..

I don't know if your MOT would allow moving the intake to the airbox, but well I got good Ram Air into it at 60mph…..

Here is a good how do I do that on increasing the airflow….

http://cabby-info.com/Files/ImprovingAirflow.pdf

Also I took the top off a bottle, might have been Anti-freeze, and Plugged the hot air intake so I could remove the Vacuum assisted servo and plug that line off at the throttle body… I suspect that you can plug it internally with a cap and "silly-cone" and the MOT would probably never find that modification.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
tbh I suspect a lot of the US spec chips are actually pretty much standard euro maps which is why its great on an american car with a catalyst ECU but over here you see next to no difference.

the other problem is most of these will only change the fuel map, since the ignition map is on another ecu and this is much harder to change

Back to the top
As appealing as those sound, I really need to put engine mods on the back-burner until I sort out my suspension. A lot of people seem to say "fit a K&N" meaning "bolt on-filter." I assume you mean a drop in box filter. That's easy enough to do. The air intake looks fairly straight forward too, but would I reap much benefit without the 4-2 mani and the DDP?

There is a lot of conflicting information out there. Some say the K&N makes no difference. Some say Pipercross is better. Some say the GTI has a different cam to the 2H. Some say the performance chips make a world of difference, some say they make fire come out of the exhaust.

If it's true that the difference between 2H and PB is simply a cat delete and different ECU, then it's a no brainer for me. The cat is already gone

72 kW (98 PS; 97 hp) at 5400 rpm - 142 N⋅m (105 lb⋅ft) at 3000 rpm
to
82 kW (111 PS; 110 hp) at 5800 rpm - 154 N⋅m (114 lb⋅ft) at 3500 rpm
for £40 and switching a box over.

Did you ever try a PB ECU after your mods, or do you still have the 2H?
I noticed the ground on the ECU bracket you mention. Is it safe to test drive without the heatsink attached to the bracket. I think I will make a plate to adapt the mk1 bracket to the mk2 box. 

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
dont go for a cone filter, the original airbox is better. stick a k&n panel filter inside if you like, but it wont be any better than a good quality Mann filter.  There have been multiple tests on various sites and no measurable benefit has been found fitting a cone filter or panel filter, you're better off making modifications to the original airbox. But even then benefits are not massive since the air still has to try and force its way past a big  square flap in the AFM.

heres a great thread on the 16v MK3, note this has no big metal flap inside to get in the way of airflow:
https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/199237

The 2H cam is the same as PB, but its slightly different to a hydralic kjet one and apparently there is a slight benefit to be had. but you could buy a better aftermarket unit to get more out of it.

when it comes to chips look at where the guy is, and if there is any hard evidence showing the benefits claimed. like i say with a pb ecu all you can change really is the fuel map so only small benefits to be had. the ignition map also needs tweaked to get the best and there are very few people left who can do this and likely non of those left can be bothered :lol:

the PB ecu has no extra earth wire when fitted in the mk2 and the ecu bracket is also pretty well isolated from earth too as it has no bolts holding it down its just clipped to studs on the car. I mean feel free to add the earth as mentioned but I doubt it will make a difference. I've had mine running with the ecu just floating about in the scuttle when testing and car still ran fine

Back to the top
There is certainly a change, but not mind blowing.

It idles lower (750rpm). There is more torque, and I wheel spinned by mistake (which I never done before). I got that feeling of being pushed into the seat a bit, once. Overall acceleration is a little better, and it pulls a bit more in the higher gears.

Sadly, accelerating hard in 2nd round a corner caused everything to shudder which reminded me I have to deal with rack and shocks pretty quick.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
the base idle may need a slight tweak, ideally the co should be checked also but sort of thing I'd take round local garage rather than attempt with a diy co meter, I find they're a bit rubbish :lol:

https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-diagnose-and-tune-your-mk2-digifant-gti-8v.124949/

worth checking the ignition timing, but if it was fine before it should still be fine now

Back to the top
Cheers. I'll take a look when they grant me access.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
I will ressurect this topic, and by the way, "the whip", thanks for the support by private message.

I am also looking for something like he did, a PB ecu for my 2H, fun facts, I have etka online, and I cannot find the ECU 037 906 022 N, and those Ecu's are quite rare in my country, so, I wonder If anyone knows all parts numbers from ECU's from PB that will work on 2H.

On Etka mentions that there are some PB with O2/lambda sensor, but usually everyone says that PB does not have one.

Last edit: by Mario_Marques

Back to the top
those are for lambda retrofit, and they arent compatible with normal PB looms AFAIK as the ecu pinout differs. Obviously data for this is limited and who the hell would pay for a lambda+cat retrofit :lol:

there are several part numbers you can use, tbh the easiest option would probably be try to find one on UK ebay from a seller who can be bothered to post one to you:

maybe get in touch with this guy, he refurbs DFII ECU and if you're going to the trouble of importing one probably a good idea to make sure it'l;l last:
https://biltechnik.uk/golf-mk2-mfa-instrument-repair/?utm_source=clubgti&utm_medium=Forum&utm_campaign=entrepreneur

and make 1000000% sure your gearbox earth is always good ;)

Back to the top
rubjonny thanks for the advice, those parts Numbers do help a lot, now my range of options to look for is wider.
I am aware of the ground strap issues and also the isv issues( if you disconnect the plug with ignition on can harm the ecu).
In my case like many other people, using the GTI ecu is just a "band aid" solution, I cannot tune my ecu on my own(cannot find anyone to do it eather), so I need a good base map and I tweak it with piggy back on temp sensor and air temp sensor,  dustributor, not the best solution at all, it has limitations but it works till a certain point.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.