Skip navigation

2H to GTI

Back to the top

What's the difference?

I have the restricted 97BHP Digifant 2. I'm trying to find out the difference between that and the GTI.

From what I understand, the later versions were restricted for the cat required overseas. My cat has mysteriously disappeared, so what else would I have to change? I have heard mention of a different cam and different ECU, but nothing definitive.

Any thoughts?

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
Gee, I have a 92 Cabriolet Automatic 2h, the cat is gone as it is out of years for emissions, I have a 4-2 exhaust manifold.

I never had issues with it being restricted….

All OEM save for the down pipe/manifold.

I have had it over 95 on occasion . :)

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
What I'm trying to figure out is the difference between my 97BHP and the GTI 112BHP.

Wouldn't there have been a mapping change with the cat?

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top

the_whip said

What I'm trying to figure out is the difference between my 97BHP and the GTI 112BHP.

Wouldn't there have been a mapping change with the cat?
I haven't seen there being an issue with a CAT delete,  and I have had cats Puke out the internals and Plug the Silencer a wee bit…after getting that sorted, I didn't see a need to re-map for a cat delete.

Here is the Math

_____

So how much are you willing to spend for 15HP?

Is re-mapping a ECU and there are some suspect chips out there that are not cheap, but the good ones are…..

You have to get it to breath easier also if you are running a small throttlebody, then getting a larger one will help.

You will get more SOTPs(Seat of the pants) HP out of opening the intake to your airbox for a larger diameter, a K&N Filter along with a 4-2 Manifold and Dual Down pipe…. than the ECU remapping…..  Just saying 15 HP?

Little more cost but well worth the effort than justy an ECU re-map, and after getting the intake and exhaust to flow easier, you can then re-map to increase it even more….

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: 

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
It might sound stupid, but when I was young I always wanted a Golf GTI. My cab was not deemed worthy of the badge and instead has "Golf Cabriolet." The reason I want to know the difference is so that I can have the GTI badge without lying.

I agree that 15HP is not huge, but 15% is still a bit on what (let's face it) is not the most powerful car.

A new throttle body sounds interesting. I'll have to check what I have now, but I imagine it's stock. What do you suggest? Most of the info out there is never for the Digifant (or doesn't it matter?). 4-2 manifold and dual down pipe seem a bit more involved. 

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
What happens if I put one of these in? Big Bang?  :lol:

Golf GTi 1.8 litre 8 Valve (PB)
 90 on
 Bosch Digifant II
 0 261 200 298
 0 261 200 299
 037 906 022 N
 XEVD22N

Golf GTi 1.8 litre 8 Valve (PB)
 90 on
 Bosch Digifant II
 0 261 200 298
 037 906 022 DB
 XEVD22DB

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
When I finally get my car finished I'll bring it over and you can have a drive of my GTi and see if you notice the difference, hopefully I'll finish it and get it MOTed by March.  :thumbs:Yours is still a GTi as it’s still got fuel injection.. Later UK Mk2 Golf GTi used digifant fuel injection….

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
That would be good. I'm quite interested to see what you think after driving mine.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
its all down to the cat and the map in the ecu.  bin the cat, change the ecu and you'll get all 112 bhp back

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
forgot to say, the mk2 digifant ecu will plug right into a euro 2h wiring loom, the lambda will no longer be required. It'll work with all the existing engine sensors  including afm and injectors :)

Back to the top
Well, the cat is gone and I bought a PB ECU ( knowing I could sell it on)…

Think I should try it?

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
plug it in, it'll work

Back to the top
A project for the weekend then. Where should I send the repair invoice when it blows up?  :P

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
:whistle:

Back to the top

Last edit: by the_whip

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
You don't need to change anything, 2h has the same.afm, injectors, isv, wiring etc as a pb. Plug ECU in and go

Back to the top
Oh, cool  :thumbs:

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
sorry if that sounded a little short, I only had a little time to smash out a quick reply in the ad break :lol:

if you were converting from a kjet to digifant you would have to change the inlet so all the digi bits can be bolted on, mk2 inlet faces the wrong way though so that would mean moving the airbox over to the driver side and all that jazz

Back to the top

rubjonny said

sorry if that sounded a little short,
Not at all. More like…

Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 08.40.57.jpg

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

Back to the top
I got the ECU today. I decided to have a look inside, and…

IMG_2282.jpg

Apparently they are okay.

Any thoughts?

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.