Skip navigation

Golf mk1 clipper cab

Back to the top
Cheers, to be fair I think what's happened with mine is that the guy who had it briefly before I bought it got hold of it in a poor state and tarted it up to sell, the paint and interior has been done a few years now but I think he threw a roof on it from another cab he was breaking (threw being the operative word) hence the roof and headlining is rough around the edges. When I get a spare moment I will give you a call and chat through the options as long term I'd like to look at replacing it, it's not watertight and has a couple of tears at the front.

Back to the top
While "working" from home today I knocked up a set of wiring looms for my VDO gauges. They never worked and one look at the mass of bare wires and missing senders kindly left by the previous owner solved the mystery as to why!

20200331_180601.jpg

20200331_184947.jpg

New senders and bulbs on order so when they arrive I'll test wire it up outside the car and once I am happy it's all working as it should I'll refit it back in the car.

It's the little things…..

Last edit: by Richarddarrenb

Back to the top

Golf mk1 clipper cab

It’s a cost cutting excersise really.
Some folks don’t want to spend on the top section.
I know one guy who’s now bought 5 hoods on frames off breakers.
Thing is there’s 3 different frames the same with headliner sizes too.
So he’s now gut a mush mash of old stuff and asked to make one good frame out the lot.
It’s madness what he’s spent and the cost of labour to strip 5 frames down in the hope of Salvaging 30 year old junk.
He’d of actually saved money by keeping the original frame and having all new gear fitted.
But I can’t get through to him all he sees is money saving tactics.
But it’s not…

I’m thinking yours when done is gonna be a great car.
You’ve got the passion which is a good thing.
Hopefully I’ll get to see it once this lockdown is over.
In the meantime mate keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Cheers for the kind words. Never been one to cut corners myself and the more I get involved with the car the more I spot things that dont please me. But its had 21 owners and its 32 yrs old so what can I expect!

Defo something about the MK1 though. This is my first one and although I've had VWs all my life I've always gravitated towards the MK2 but I'm glad I got this one.

Back to the top
Looms finished and fitted for the clocks this morning, done properly with heat shrink solder and cloth loom tape unlike the monstrosity that stevie wonder fitted before!

20200404_104233.jpg

Just this mess to fix now, how do people sleep at night…

20200404_104252.jpg

The postie has just arrived with a replacement oil temp sender after I snapped the last one in the housing from over tightening…. that was a squeaky bum moment until the snapped bit came freely out of the housing, big relief!!

Gonna fit the gauges now….

Back to the top
And all working (new bulbs in the post as 2 have blown)

20200404_113432.jpg

Back to the top
Apologies that none of these updates are great shakes compared to some of the full on resto and engine swap work going on with some other builds, but these little jobs are keeping me sane so hey ho!

Next up, bought new standard wiper blades to replace these hideous floppy jobbies:

20200404_113906.jpg

And removed the arms and all the badges as they are looking tired and new badges are not cheap! It's all getting a waft of satin black to smarten them up.

20200404_120728.jpg

Oh and some hanging tat to keep it "scene"

20200404_114857.jpg

Back to the top

Richarddarrenb said

Apologies that none of these updates are great shakes…

Nah, it's all interesting.

How many hole are behind the "Golf" & "Cabriolet" badges? I'm swopping mine for "GTI", and am guessing they won't have the same holes.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
Cheers, golf has 3 and cabriolet none, its fixed on with adhesive pads like the karmann wing badges

Back to the top
Interesting. Maybe the GTI one will just fit.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
I would think so, I cant imagine the drilling for the badges being different on the GTI and none GTI boot lids

Last edit: by Richarddarrenb

Back to the top
Found a "before" pic for the gauge wiring:

20200325_112053.jpg

And after:

20200404_104233.jpg

Back to the top
Satin black badges and wiper arms with new standard blades re fitted today, need to refit the drivers side Karmann badge but ran out of adhesive tape!

Popped out in it today for the first time since retiring it last autumn, drove absolutely perfect! Never enjoyed a trip to Sainsburys so much. Stopped to take a few pics:

20200405_113354.jpg
20200405_113428.jpg 20200405_113435.jpg 20200405_113448.jpg 20200405_113455.jpg 20200405_113502.jpg 20200405_113518.jpg

Back to the top

Golf mk1 clipper cab

I do badge kits that cover the old badges.

Also the arch protectors too

Back to the top
Cheers, think I've seen them or something similar before. I'm going to stick with satin black though, think it works well against the colour and ties in the the grille and plate plinth.

Back to the top

Golf mk1 clipper cab

I like the flat black look.
I’ve seen or two debadged boots even locks gone fitted with a popper.
That changes the rear end.
Or if you’re feeling flush get a USA spec boot with the 3rd brake light.
If I was doing a car for myself I’d opt for that just to be different.

Back to the top
I've thought about getting the boot debadged as it does look a bit busy 🙂

Back to the top

Golf mk1 clipper cab

Once it’s cleared it’  a blank canvas.
I looked at other boot lights from other cars and if I had the skills cut out and French in some metal and make something really different.
Once you start on that it’s looking at repainting.
Unless you can one of them old ones that are on a rubber base and mid that to fit?
Everything is doable it’s a case of thinking it out and having the skills and money.

Back to the top
The US look does appeal also, I I fitted a US spec plate plinth to my Rado VR6 back in the day

20140505_183604.jpg

Back to the top

Golf mk1 clipper cab

Just makes it a little different.
Some like the full in your face blown custom look.
Others just subtle mods.
Either are good if done well.
There’s some some good TV programs out there.
One of my faves is for custom work is Iron Ressurection by the Martin brothers.
The stuff they produce is awesome and if I won the lottery I’d be over there getting something myself.
Dave Kindig with Bitchin Rides

My fave OEM though is Graveyard Cars with Mark Worman.
They restore to OEM factory the Mopar Muscle cars.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.