Skip navigation

Mk1 cabby - NSR wheel tucks in further than OSR

Back to the top
This measurement also differs, 13cm on drivers side and around 12cm on passenger side:

20200504_140713.jpg

Last edit: by Richarddarrenb

Back to the top
So in summary it seems the beam is mounted nice and square, but the trailing arm (if that's what its called) is out on the passenger side hence the wheel tucks in. This is somewhat baffling as it drives fine so no obvious bent axle symptoms apart from how the wheel sits on the passenger side.

I guess my next mission is to locate a good used beam - and in readiness for this I got the gas bottle out and got all 4 mounting nuts off, clean, greased, and refit so at least I'll not have issues here as I know it can be a disaster if one shears.

Any input from any of you guys on this?

Thanks all

Back to the top

Mk1 cabby - wheels stick out on one side (front and back)

Your beam width is good. See my spare one measurement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
C9A08E81-9C56-4BCD-930D-341F7555660C.jpeg 446CC56D-1243-4239-8EA8-C30972AE9D94.jpeg

Back to the top
Thanks very much for that

So if that measurement is correct then I assume the beam is not bent and the issue lies with what is bolted to it one side or other in terms of stub, drum etc

As if it was bent inwards, your measurement would be wider?

Back to the top
I would say it is off centre that is all. 

I would replace those sub frame mounts first and make sure it's not partly driven by the way the runners sit. 

Back to the top
Not sure what you mean by that. As in where it bolts onto the car?

Things is the measurements from the mounts to the sill are identical on both sides so seems square to me plus I cant see 1cm movement side to side if I loosen all 4 nuts and shift it along a touch?

This measurement is same both sides (edge of beam mount to sill)

20200504_134556.jpg

Back to the top

I would also strip down the brakes and see if the stub axle has been shimmer out on the one side also. They should be the same each side.

Back to the top

Shimmed. Not shimmer.

Back to the top
Indeed. That's definitely an option. Judging by the overall presentation of the car I wouldn't be surprised if there wasnt something hiding behind one side to push that wheel further out in the pursuit of "stance innit blud" 🤣

Back to the top
Attachment
New Bitmap Image.bmp

Just spotted this on one of the photos
Looks like the mount is lose or something is pinched between the mount and the sub frame. - maybe the handbrake retention clip. That gap should not be there and will be pushing your frame out.

Might be wrong but looks like it from what i can tell..

Back to the top
Overall I would say new mounts and make sure they are fitted correctly. I know the hand brake retention clip is a bit strange and I have not looked at one for a long time but I think it should enter with the long mount bolt to the sub frame on the outside of the mount and not between the mount and sub frame…..

I THINK…… the mounts should be tight to the sub frame I am certain others with either correct me or confirm here. There are also a couple of very big washers either side of the mount.

Final comment before i leave you in peace is those mounts look f***ed… :o  so not a bad idea to replace them anyway..

Back to the top
By mounts do you mean the beam bushes? As they defo look like they have seen better days.

When it comes off the road for winter I think I'll pull the beam off replace the bushes and rebuild the rear brakes etc while it's off. The handbrake isn't great so they need some attention anyway. Hopefully at the same time I'll uncover what is causing the wonky wheel…..

Back to the top
What's the measurement from the inner wheel well to outer arch trim, one side might be smaller than the other? I've no experience but have read that on some cars with wider wheels the arches need to be 'rolled'  to stop them rubbing wheras other cars are fine?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Attachment
Rear Beam Mount.bmp

Here you go this is a picture of when I stripped my rear beam for powder coating. Is shows how the mount is tight to the sub frame.

I would seriously recommend fixing yours before driving it any more.

Good Luck I am not brave enough to attempt mine yet….. ;)

Back to the top
Ah I see what you mean now. There is a gap between the mount and the beam on mine which is odd. I think the beams going to have to come off for an overhaul

Back to the top
More investigating today, think this rules out any bolt on tat pushing the stub out on one side:

20200509_141050.jpg 20200509_144441.jpg 20200509_141106.jpg 20200509_141110.jpg

Got to be beam alignment at beam mounts I reckon. Powerflex beam bushes on order so will tackle those next job, wish me luck…. .

Back to the top
Today's job - beam dropped, mounts checked and cleaned up, old bushes out and powerflex replacements fitted….

And…..

Drum roll please….

It's still the same 🤣

Going to buy a used beam and refurb it with new drums stubs etc over winter and hopefully that should cure it. Bored of it now 😴

Back to the top

Mk1 cabby - NSR wheel tucks in further than OSR

Huh. I was convinced it was your mounts.  Good luck hunting that down.

Back to the top
So was I. Sourced one locally complete for 50 quid which is ok I guess
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.