Skip navigation

1990 mk1 cabby barn find

Back to the top

1990 mk1 cabby barn find

Here mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
that looks sweet mate i wish mine looked like that. i think after show season has finished im gunna pull the engine out of mine and clean up then engine bay. i have like 4 oil drips under my car  :lol:  might even sprat the engine bay while im at it cant make it look any worse lol

Back to the top

1990 mk1 cabby barn find

Thanks mate I've not had the engine out or anything just done it all in situ just went around it bit by bit tidying up everything had a good few bits powder coated which helps brighten it all up .you'll get there mate mines still got loads I want to do….

Back to the top

1990 mk1 cabby barn find

Ps was the body kit bonded on ? Want to remove mine to check the bodywork underneath??

Back to the top

Deano777 said

Ps was the body kit bonded on ? Want to remove mine to check the bodywork underneath??

no the kit was just bolted and screwed. there are rubber gaskets between the kit and body. probably be worth getting new ones when you put it back on as mine weren't in great condition

Back to the top

1990 mk1 cabby barn find

Awe good that's good news I was lead to believe they were bonded on mate .yes mine are the same they look rough thanks for that

Back to the top
where did you get your air filter from im looking to change mine as i dont like the standard filter housing. was there much involved in changing it over?

Back to the top

1990 mk1 cabby barn find

It's a ramair bolt on mate from ramair on ebay you get the mounting plate with it .just make sure you get the lowest height as it wont fit under the rain tray bit .plus I've put a brand new Weber twin choke 32/34dtml on which made a big difference. Had it dyno run yesterday if you have a look at my posts you can read it …

Back to the top
cheers ill have a look :thumbs:

Back to the top

1990 mk1 cabby barn find

Facelift models had the body kit bonded on 1990 onwards.
My 91 Rivage had them bonded on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

1990 mk1 cabby barn find

Oh dear so mine on a g plate 1990 will be bonded on then chortle ?

Back to the top
mine is a 1990 on h reg and wasn't bonded on

Back to the top

1990 mk1 cabby barn find

I'm hoping mine isn't mate will save a load of work ..

Back to the top
after a year of not using the golf i opened the door to find this :'( IMG_7702.JPG
IMG_7703.JPG

so it looks like i'm stripping the interior out then

NMOD9336.JPG
IMG_7708.JPG

oh joy water, lots of water
IMG_7709.JPG
IMG_7711.JPG
IMG_7718.JPG

new sound deadening ordered, sometimes comes in handy being a floor layer :lol: little bit of trimming required
IMG_7797.JPG

Back to the top
while the seats and carpet are out i hired a rug doctor to give them a good much needed deep clean, its a little bit grim :sick: IMG_7727.JPG

seat on the right has been done
IMG_7738.JPG
IMG_7729.JPG
IMG_7730.JPG
KHWV2300.JPG
IMG_7799.JPG
IMG_7801.JPG
:o so fresh and so clean

Back to the top
Seen q few pics of this car kicking about the internet, mainly because of the Autostar minus alloys 

They are on my consider list for rims for mine, where they a straight fit no issues? Is the quality good?

Looks good stripped bare

My 1990 gti doesnt have the kit bonded on either 

Out of interest where did you get the window scraper seals? Heritage? Mine look like crocodile skins lol

Back to the top

One seven one said

Seen q few pics of this car kicking about the internet, mainly because of the Autostar minus alloys 

They are on my consider list for rims for mine, where they a straight fit no issues? Is the quality good?

Looks good stripped bare

My 1990 gti doesnt have the kit bonded on either 

Out of interest where did you get the window scraper seals? Heritage? Mine look like crocodile skins lol

yea im trying to get out there this year with its new look as it usually only comes out a few times a year.

such a good wheel for the car i had to put 3mm spacers on the front to clear my coilovers and its still quite close. im looking into getting bigger spacers for the front and back and need the usual spigot rings.
you will need a slim deep socket for the wheel bolts as the bolt wholes are very deep.

window scarpers are from vw heritage. they need a bit of trimming for a perfect fit but is easy enough to do.

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply, yeah the wheels do look rather spot on imo, my choice is between a set of these or a set of 8j wide all round cruise? RS style alloys

i know people bash reps but I’m not spending £1500+ on a set of staggered BBS ever again 😂 be same as the car currently owes me

did you ever have the wheels on your standard shock and spring set up? Mines lowered on normal set up at the moment but option to change to coils if needed depending how it sat really.

yours looks spot on them :thumbs:

Back to the top
i had the original 13" bbs on the car when i lowered it. coilovers were one of the 1st things i did to the car

Ive just been looking at your build post, mint looking cabby you got there i wish my paint looked like that

Back to the top
Ah cool, i had a set of those G40 RA’s on my old Lhasa green Gti back in 1995 😂👍🏻 Great little rims

cheers, but don’t let the pictures fool you 😂  it’s far from mint paint, but it just polished up nice, it’s been painted, not too well in the past,  can’t really see why? As the body isn’t full of filler or dings, guessing it was due to flat red paint that hadn’t been cared for? but overall it looks sensible, for now lol

im hoping that the other improvements make it look as sensible as yours does 👍🏻

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.