Skip navigation

Golf GL

Back to the top
Great work! Can I buy your roll over jig when you're finished with it? 

Back to the top

Re:

vdubber2 said

Great work! Can I buy your roll over jog when you're finished with it? 
Thanks, I'll be holding onto it for future projects. They are hard to come by in Ireland. Bought it off rolloverjigs.co.uk. very durable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
I can understand that! Keep up the great work. 

Back to the top

Golf GL

Refurbished the gearbox. Very happy with the results.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Brakes were also given a freshen up.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Steering rack was next on the list, new tie rod ends, boots and bushes.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Alot of progress on the underside. Finally got the underseal fully removed temporarily sealed with Eastwood 2k epoxy primer so I can work on the areas that need new panels replaced/manufactured.

Like I've said in the past I've never done anything like this before so it's all new to me. Just talking my time to do it carefully.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Started the metal work on the underside. Creating all the templates first before I start welding them in.

Back to the top

Golf GL

So this is how I will be approaching the rear axle section. Just broke it down into small sections until all the rot was removed.

Back to the top
Superb work! It's definitely given me the kick in the pants I needed to get working on mine again. 

Back to the top

Golf GL

Thanks Fausto, nearly ready for welding now then I can start the rebuild.

Few more repair panels made up. Wheel well was crusty in the usual spot.

Also got the passenger sill fabricated as it was also crushed beyond repair.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Final few pieces before welding

Back to the top

Golf GL

Started welding all the pieces for the repairs in. I'm no pro as it was my first time welding so very happy with the outcome. All areas have been treated prior to welding and seam sealed afterwards. Sections replaced so far include a mid section, rear wheel well and both driver and passenger sills.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Rear axle mount repair. Old mount had rotted out during to a bad repair in the past. Really thought this was beyond me but broke it down into smaller section. Really happy with how this turned out.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Made a start on the inner drivers side arch. Then proceeded with the outter but soon realised I had trimmed the outter panel too much. As you can see the gaps meant the arch wasnt sitting correctly. I have a new inner and outter arch ordered to redo this again as I'm not happy with. Having never done this before it was good learning opportunity.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Getting close to the end of the metal work. I'd originally planned to let the body shop so the rear arches as it is a visable panel but decided to give it a go instead.

Having messed up the drivers side by trimming to much I applied what I learned to the passenger side.

Both inner and outter arches lined up perfectly with little to no gaps. Inner arch was fully treated with undercoat and metal coated with Zinc weld through primer.

I will be spot welding both lips together to give it that factory finish. Just have the drivers side now to finished this week hopefully.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Learn from your mistakes. Take two of the drivers arch went alot better then last time. Inner and outter arch refitted and lining up perfectly.

Finished up a few smaller areas this weekend aswell so the metal work is now complete. Time to get the underside seam sealed.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Had a dilemma of joining the inner and outter arch lips as I couldn't find a spot welder locally to rent out. Only option was to buy one at €350-€600 which also wasnt viable.

In the end I decided to plug welded both panels together. Metal was treated and sealed afterwards. Didnt come out too bad.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Golf GL

All the late nights, busted knuckles and cups of tea over the last few months have led up to this moment.

I was very lucky to get decent shell to begin with that just required a few repairs. Taking advice from anyone that offered it I incorporated that into my repairs. Having never done any metal work or welding before I'm delighted with the results

Repairs included:

Driver and passenger sills
Drivers side axle mount
Wheel well
Drivers and passenger inner and outter arches
Fuel filler
Smaller odds and ends.

Car is currently in epoxy and fully seam sealed. Prepping the car for some 2k epoxy primer and then some dintrol underseal.

Back to the top

Golf GL

Time for some underseal. Here are the products I decided to go with.

Mipa EP 100-20 2k epoxy primer
Mipa p950-10 hardner

Ratio was 3:1 with reducer

Dintrol 4941 underseal. Really good properties, waterproof, rust preventative and flexible.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.