Skip navigation

4dr Scrap car going full restore + 3,2 24V engine

Back to the top

Just another never ending money pit.

I think that was all the rust repairs I have pictures from.. Huuuuge restore..

My wheels Audi A8 winters.. Welded and changed to 4x100 prefitted, I need to make my rear beam wider…

IMG_1560.PNG
Engine also fitted IMG_1596.JPG IMG_1597.JPG IMG_1598.JPG

Engine also fitted, I bought the brackets from Eurowise, okay fitment.. Also bought their  alu cooler and downpipe..

IMG_1736.JPG IMG_2523.JPG IMG_2539.JPG IMG_2573.JPG IMG_1633.JPG IMG_1677.JPG

Back to the top

4dr Scrap car going full restore + 3,2 24V engine

Liking this thread mate gonna be a handsome machine that …

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Hummel said

I think that was all the rust repairs I have pictures from.. Huuuuge restore..

My wheels Audi A8 winters.. Welded and changed to 4x100 prefitted, I need to make my rear beam wider…

Engine also fitted, I bought the brackets from Eurowise, okay fitment.. Also bought their  alu cooler and downpipe..
Love the A8 winters.  :wub:

I agree with the Eurowise mounts. It was pretty tight to get everything lined up. Especially the front mount  :|

Back to the top
How does the radiator sit on the cross beam. I haven't tested mine yet  :lol:

I think I might try it now  O_o

Back to the top

Rich. said

How does the radiator sit on the cross beam. I haven't tested mine yet  :lol:

I think I might try it now  O_o

I like the radiator! It sits very good one the cross beam, but I thought the beam was i little two weak in the metal for it, so I ended up welding a 10mm nut to a 10x10cm 3mm plate and then welded that to the beam, now the radiator is only resting on those plates and I am sure the bolting points is strong enough.

About the engine mounts, I ended up cutting the front reinforcement bracket plate of, and then weld the original "cup" directly two it, otherwise I couldn't fit the bracket  O_o

Back to the top
Phew, loads of room :lol: IMG_20190622_212745017.jpg IMG_20190622_212749687.jpg IMG_20190622_212757155.jpg IMG_20190622_212803744.jpg

Back to the top
I think your engine is i bit more forward than mine  :dry:   Your generator seems closer to the cooler than mine..

I decided to do a return hose from the cooler to the expansion tank, to get all the air out easy, and to ease the water in when it is filled in. On a bonus, this will also give me flow through the back of the cylinderhead when my heatmatrix is closed of :)

IMG_0339.jpg IMG_0340.jpg IMG_0341.jpg

I also had time to do a rebulid of the starter :) It had trouble disengaging from the engine when it was running (making an awful sound) After a good clean and newly greased gears, it is operating perfect.

IMG_0369.jpg IMG_0374.jpg

Back to the top

Hummel said

I think your engine is i bit more forward than mine  :dry:  Your generator seems closer to the cooler than mine..

That's a bit worrying :lol:The whole reason for that different alternator bracket was to pull it in towards the block ha ha

Lets hope the intake manifold fits O_oGoing to paint it this week.

Looking good on the starter motor. Would like to do that to my radiator but don't have an AC tig welder :(

Back to the top

That's a bit worrying :lol:The whole reason for that different alternator bracket was to pull it in towards the block ha ha

Lets hope the intake manifold fits O_oGoing to paint it this week.

Looking good on the starter motor. Would like to do that to my radiator but don't have an AC tig welder :(

On mine, it is almost impossible to fit the manifold while the engine is in the car, between the cooler and the injector wiring, but it is possible… A good advice is to check this, if you want to be able to remove the manifold without pulling the engine out :)

Rich, do you plan on fitting the reinforcement bracket in front?

I welded the original bracket onto the Eurowise bracket like this, then bolted it to the front beam and the bumber bolting points..

I also widened the rear beam with spacers, about 24mm in each side, made some 2mm plates to mounts, so I can adjust it if needed :)

IMG_2537.jpg IMG_2535.jpg

Back to the top
That enough space? Excuse the flip flops and socks :lol: IMG_20190624_181915315.jpg IMG_20190624_182133247.jpg IMG_20190624_182141043.jpg IMG_20190624_182207506.jpg IMG_20190624_182221997.jpg IMG_20190624_182249745_HDR.jpg IMG_20190624_182311844.jpg IMG_20190624_182321667.jpg

I have a cross member reinforcement bracket like this http://www.retrofication.co.uk/192FrontCrossMemberReinforcement.html but couldn't fit the mounts in between. Once I get it running I will give it ago :thumbs:

Back to the top
Looking good! Also the flip-flops n' socks ;)

Are you able to remove manifold with the radiator in place ?

Back to the top

Hummel said

Looking good! Also the flip-flops n' socks ;)

Are you able to remove manifold with the radiator in place ?

Yes no problem  :thumbs:

Haven't got the injector loom in though.

How did you mount the radiator?

Back to the top
It's the Injector loom i'm worried about ;)

10mm bolts, nuts welded in the crossbeam, I can't help with picture right now, I'm working away from home all week.

Back to the top
Hi Tommy,

with your radiator did you isolate it with a rubber mount at the base or just rigid mount it to the cross beam?

Also did you create a bracket to support the top?

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top
No rubber mount, Thought about it, but decided not to do it. Just bolted it solid onto the beam, and no support on top, but that is on my todo list…

Any good idea on how to do it  ?

Back to the top

Hummel said

No rubber mount, Thought about it, but decided not to do it. Just bolted it solid onto the beam, and no support on top, but that is on my todo list…

Any good idea on how to do it  ?

I was thinking, rivnut the cross beam, I have these rubber bushing that are threaded like a bolt on either side. Screw down the bushing in to the rivnut and nut on top with radiator in place.

For the top I was going to use the cowling bolts to mount a bracket to somewhere on the bonnet latch panel. Going to mock something up tonight

Back to the top
Hi Guys,

I'm dreaming of a old dashboard in the car, but how much do I need to swap it? Offcurse the dashboard and wiring, and the complete dash. But what about ventilation? Is the ventilator housing the same and all the hoses? What about steering colum ?

I found a donor car i'm visiting tomorrow so I could be nice if I know what I need…

Can anybody answer my question ? 

Back to the top
I've had a look through the forum and used way back machine but can't find any definitive guide. I believe it's all possible. Not sure if some of the Series 2 dash mount brackets get in the way.

I'm surprised no one has posted as it has been done. When you do it let me know as I quite fancy the idea :lol:. Bit pricey in the UK to get hold of them though.

Chap do you have the part numbers of the pre cat lambda sensors. I have an NTK one I think is the pre cat but the part number is too hard to read.

Where did you end up mounting the lambdas on your down pipe?  Do you have an pics?

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top
I Just picked up the early dash, I removed mounts and blower from the donor car as well, unfortunatly the shell under the dash where missing, so I still need that, and the early cluster with tacho, lets see if the swap is possible, otherwise I will swap to a mk2 cluster with rev counter.

Sure, the two pre cat sensors are: 022 906 262 AE, VW have two different numbers, but the only difference is the length of the wires. I mounted them just after the collectors, but I have no picture right now, and I not at the garage until the end of the week.

Back to the top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.