Skip navigation

Newbie looking to buy.

Back to the top
Good evening, everyone.

I've been looking at buying a MK1 for a few years but budget is an issue at the moment.
Whilst I'm lurking (and learning) I thought that i'd ask about different models and trim, etc.

Is there a guide to all the different models/variations and trim or would it be too much to fit in one place? I'm a fan of the cabrios, mainly.

Thanks,

Adam

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

lhasadreams said

Just read through it, thoroughly :P

I’ll end up going to few one and telling them everything that is wrong now I have a checklist :P

I like the look of the Sportline model but I think for my first it doesn’t really matter if it’s a clipper or GTI.

What would you say is a good average price for a runner? I don’t mind doing work over the winter months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

I paid 3k for mine mate just over a year ago been a lovely car .I've added some bling now but il post the original photos as it was when I bought it .and a couple of it now
Regards Dean

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

Deano777 said

I paid 3k for mine mate just over a year ago been a lovely car .I've added some bling now but il post the original photos as it was when I bought it .and a couple of it now
Regards Dean

Love it pal. Did you have much work to do originally or did you just run around in it before you did work, etc?

That colour is one of my favourites, so far!

Im hoping to find something around the 2500 mark if possible!

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

No I run it straight away mate it's my only car so a daily driver did 9k in it over the last year .so it was Important for me to have an immediate runner .obviously with doing 9k some things showed up I did the cam belt and tensioner myself £40.as I was unsure when it had been done last and it had 120k when I bought it .it had some history but not full…and 99% of the other stuff I've chosen to do myself apart from the dreaded cylinder head gasket which went on me .but to be honest the local guys at the garage did it for me and had the head skimmed and it wasn't as expensive as I thought.its paprika red with original bbs 15 inch alloys on .i always keep my eyes on ebay for the current prices you might get lucky .but you've got to be quick .mine was from preston I'm in rochdale. So a bit of a trek. But by the time I got there the lad was overrun with phone calls to buy it. Someone even willing to come from Devon. So I just give him a deposit there and then .Cos I knew it would go .also he had it up for £3500 and I got it for £3000 cash so dont be afraid to have a good british haggle

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

Ps as a bonus mine is not a sportline but came with a full sportline interior recaros door cards and everything so I got really lucky there.as I also love the sportline models but there big dollar

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

Here mate

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

Deano777 said

Here mate

I’ve seen it pal! Looks ok. Just want to see it before I buy and I’m based in Blackpool (so it’s a long trip) :P

I’m going to be searching all week now :P

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

No worries like I say mine was from preston .you could do with one from there lol

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

Deano777 said

No worries like I say mine was from preston .you could do with one from there lol

I know. I’d have raced you there to have a look at yours :P

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

Hi and welcome
A lot depends on your skill level and what you can do yourself or prepared to learn.
There is lots of how to’s and info on here.
£2.5 k. Isn’t a lot of money but you need to ask what the hidden costs are.
So I’ve seen silly cars go for over £3k and they need the same again to make it nice.
The most common issue I find is people not doing the homework before hand being fobbed off by sellers.
Young lad come down to see me couple weeks ago bought cabby off eBay.
He wanted the hood sorting but when we inspected it properly the headliner was stained, torn on one of the seams, the interliner and padding was falling apart and the rear window frame rusted away.
I told him the costs to put it right and he said the seller assured him it was only s couple hundred quid.
The issue now is if I do the work it needs then it’ll take the value above what he’d get on the open market.
I said if you’d of known what you know now you’d of not paid what you did.

Lesson is kneel on back seat looking out the window and then locate the seal as it laps over the metal frame and lift it up and away from the metal frame then run your finger under and around the frame if rust drops out then it’s more than likely the frame is goosed.

Open roof halfway pop your hand if you can feel the green shredded wheat then the interliner has rotted.
Tell tale signs are bit of grass on the rear parcel shelf.
Lift the interliner up from the headliner and look underneath there’s 2 straps that run to the top of the rear window frame and these often west into the base cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

chortle said

The most common issue I find is people not doing the homework before hand being fobbed off by sellers.

Thanks for the help, lads.

Hopefully, I’ll have done my homework and kicked a few tyres before buying.
I had a beetle when I was 18 and restored that with my dad’s help. He’s got a few air cooled vehicles so hopefully he can point me in the right direction!

I’ll be looking and saving, hoping to find the perfect car (for me anyway :P)

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

Ah, Blackpool here too

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

I’ll have to keep my eye out for that one!

Where abouts in Blackpool? North or South? Is that your daily runner or a weekend treat :P

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

Up near Stanley park.   Just a summer car

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

Brilliant. I’ll keep my eye out when I’m around that end. Especially when the sun is out…
Not tonight by the looks of it :P

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

So guys.

I've seen this car for sale.

From what I can see the roof looks in good shape and the seller says its had no damage, rust or welds.
I'm going to see if I can have a look at it this week.
It's currently up for 4000. From what you can see, does that look an ok price for a daily drive? It's being given a 12 MOT for anyone who buys.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Newbie looking to buy.

£4K is a lot for a non GTI
Roof wise you can’t tell from the picture.
Roofs don’t last forever so if he says it’s new you want a receipt.
Often I come across is folks put a roof on but don’t change the interliner and padding underneath plus if the headliner inside the car is dirty ripped or hanging then you have to strip the roof off back to the bare frame.
I’d check the rear window frame for rust also.
It’s a nightmare to try and replace that insitu.
Take a look at the drivers bolster these always collapse and you get a wear tear so it can soon get expensive sorting that lot out.
So when was it serviced? Cam belt? All filters and fluids.
I know you’re buying a 30 yet old car.
But you’ll soon realise there’s plenty to spend on top.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.