Skip navigation

88 clipper project

Back to the top

Longimanus said

If you want to go 1cm more in the drop, H&R do a comfort cup suspension. Not coil over.  I've just fitted my front end set. Doing the back in a couple of weeks time hopefully.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks I'll have a little look - I need the rims here and tyres etc before I decide on total drop - so may have to wait a few days 

Back to the top
Managed to get the old girl in the booth today so I have decent light etc . 
Bumper getting there and I've decided to paint the panel below the grill as well as the slam panel at the front . 
I need some of the white tab washers for behind the grill if someone can point me in the right direction - heritage don't stock them . 
I've decided to paint with bumper on as all the screws and pop rivets etc under the arch are really good and don't want to drill them out and melt the plastic . 
I also want a driver not a show car so don't want to get too carried away 
Pictures for reference on clip I need and progress  image.jpg 8AADE7A4-1691-408E-BE18-46965E31E89A.jpeg 966725F8-B5C5-4608-A924-16F9D9C4AAE8.jpeg image.jpg

Back to the top
Masking in the pictures is just temporary to protect wing whilst blocking paint 

Back to the top
Looks like the sister to mine! Lk3a paprika red with dove grey adornments lol

I Got some bits of painting i will need to do on mine on the front and rear lower panels  in the near future

Car paint is far more expensive than i recall lol £18 for a colour matched 400ml can of straight gloss paint finish from my local supplier

Back to the top

88 clipper project

Do you have your own  body shop ? Where abouts are you located ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Deano777 said

Do you have your own  body shop ? Where abouts are you located ?

I own a Classic car restoration company - mainly aircooled VW and Porsche 
Located in southwest - nr Bath 

Back to the top

One seven one said

I Got some bits of painting i will need to do on mine on the front and rear lower panels  in the near future

Car paint is far more expensive than i recall lol £18 for a colour matched 400ml can of straight gloss paint finish from my local supplier

Paint is expensive in aerosols and colour match is always going to be questionable . Rattle can finish is always hard work and blends are difficult 

Back to the top
Sealed it all and primer on the front bits  529BA86E-0FF5-4635-8EA5-8BEF0D6074D8.jpeg 6CB32D50-9F0B-4689-8222-FB1794E768EE.jpeg

Back to the top

88 clipper project

Wow sounds like a great company .I'm in the northwest too bad

Back to the top

jon65deluxe said

One seven one said

Paint is expensive in aerosols and colour match is always going to be questionable . Rattle can finish is always hard work and blends are difficult 

True enough, acceptable and shiny is good enough for me at the moment 
i dont have access to a booth so im limited
My old early gti Mk2  turned out superb with cellulose rattle cans, doors bonnet, front and rear valences, 

I was pleased with my efforts 

Back to the top
That you are pleased is all that matters - you build a car for yourself no one else . 
Whatever I do to my stuff it's for me and I don't care what anyone else thinks 

Back to the top
B36DC39E-813F-45DF-A536-34E09DE3359A.jpeg Primer dried overnight - guide coat and a block down follow  image.jpg

Back to the top

jon65deluxe said

That you are pleased is all that matters - you build a car for yourself no one else . 
Whatever I do to my stuff it's for me and I don't care what anyone else thinks 

Exactly

Back to the top
image.jpg

Cleaned - re masked and base coat on - getting there now 

Back to the top

88 clipper project

Looking good mate in jealous

Back to the top
👍🏻 I agree, doing all the work yourself is half the fun in even owning an older car or a classic

Finding all the parts is good fun too 

I will be doing all the paint on mine and i have decided im going to fit the new roof myself as well

Why would i be paying £500 when i can get all the parts needed for £200 and do it myself and learn in the process

If i balls it up its only experience and about £150 down the swanny lol

I really do wish i had a booth though or at least the room to make one 
Id be painting and powder coating everything you can take off lol

Back to the top

88 clipper project

Totally agree .its a great experience working on your own car .and I also wish I had a booth .but I do know a good powder coated so got a few shiny bits

Back to the top
Looks clean deanno

Jon seeing as you have your original dealer plates you may well already know? Or be aware of dmb grahics? Well they have the dealer decal for your car in stock, look em up, love seeing original plates and dealer stuff on old cars   BB2CD21A-3770-4AEF-B70D-20218EFD3602.png

Back to the top

One seven one said

Looks clean deanno

Jon seeing as you have your original dealer plates you may well already know? Or be aware of dmb grahics? Well they have the dealer decal for your car in stock, look em up, love seeing original plates and dealer stuff on old cars   BB2CD21A-3770-4AEF-B70D-20218EFD3602.png

One is dealer plate the other dick Lovett - I was a bit gutted about that 

Back to the top
Guys - don't get hung up about not having a booth . 
Paint is all prep - it's the bit that takes days and weeks . Applying the paint takes a few hours . 
Don't do it in the wind and get the area clean and dust free -
Wet the floor and your away . 
Many good paint job has been done in a barn . 
You don't need heat to dry unless you are doing 3 cars a day . Just don't do it when it's cold and try to do it on a day when there are less flies about . A nice hot summers day when it's raining is perfect 😀
There are too many online users to list.