Skip navigation

88 clipper project

Back to the top
Hi guys 
I put a little introduction in a few days ago and thought I'd do a little build thread . 
Nice to document what you do in a car and also nice for people offering advise to see it being used I guess . 

Anyway I am fortunate enough to own quite a few classic cars and most are things I've always wanted as a Vw and Porsche fan from a young age . 
This is no exception as when my now wife and I first got together the first car we got was a 93 golf clipper which was pretty much identical to this one - it's still around and is a well known car in the club I believe . 
So when I was offered this one by a friend I just had to have it .. 

Anyway this is an 88 clipper - 1.8 carb and is almost totally original and is pretty much rust free as well as the body being arrow straight and interior nearly perfect . 

I have had it for about 6 months and it's mainly sat on the drive with very little use . But having had a clear of a few cars it's time to give it some love . I won't be spending a fortune as I have other cars that need money more and are worth lots more - I try to be sensible in my car spending . 

Hopefully you guys who are far more knowledgable than me won't mind sharing and maybe some less technical may pick up some tips as well 
First pictures are of the car today - I'm my workshop waiting for a load of bits to arrive  58D3419E-7E0F-4D1E-BA2F-2C5576DF8EA9.jpeg 3CA949D9-6EF0-4FE0-AE76-0958890037D3.jpeg 7AB881C1-B770-4507-A13D-EF221F40D109.jpeg 27ADE306-4C30-4737-AFE2-DAA29ED7BCF5.jpeg CE8619D0-BC4D-410E-BF47-B5A33612C7D5.jpeg A3FECC57-DE5B-4693-BBF5-4151712B3E33.jpeg

Back to the top
So the plan is to go through the engine bits - nothing drastic just service stuff really and do tappets . A big clean up in the bay and deal with some rust on the slam panel - new cables and maybe clutch if it needs it . 
Other than that the bumper has been painted in the past and has micro blisters so will be re done - I'll also do the sills and the front of the rear arches as well as renewing the rear arch stickers .
I want to sort out the sounds and sort the Seat on drivers side as I cannot get a nice driving position . 
Lastly I guess I may lower it a bit and I'd like some different wheels - I like the current ones but like the idea of bbs splits or similar ( read that as reps because of budget ) 
Other than that it's detail - detail - detail . 

Hope it's useful to someone and feel free to chip in and call me all the names under the sun  64F7D908-9334-4859-B149-FF5B25F3E7FE.jpeg B9030109-4E09-423E-B749-C7FCA6AD6C37.jpeg 7FCEBD61-1BD3-458E-9D9A-340108A4914A.jpeg

Back to the top
I'd be interested to know what people are doing with a replacement to the cardboard but over the radiator these days - it was all Ali bits back in the day but I'd prefer something more stock looking - also whether there is a replacement metal panel available for the area around the bonnet latch which has rusted out - or do I have to make it ? 

Back to the top

88 clipper project

I ground all mine out as it was rusted then some chemical metal repair filler and went for the smooth look as I've got bonnet struts and had no need for any holes save the bonnet catch I've attached some pics not sure if this is what you want but it was a major change in mine and looks great

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Deano - that looks really nice buddy - I'd quite like to keep it as stock as possible if I can - maybe a little lower and rims - love how yours looks BTW - sits really nice . How did you lower yours and what size rims and tyres if you don't mind me asking ? 

Back to the top

88 clipper project

Hiya mate thankyou 175/55/15 tyres on 15 inch bbs ra,s also I'm on coilovers. I am almost stock but just love the shiny bits lol

Back to the top
Looks really good - mine is bone stock at the moment apart from rims and hoping to keep it that way except rims and tyres - maybe a bit lower but I'm going to get wheels sorted to see how that affects the look as I don't have huge arch gap but just a lot of tyre - I like the idea of bbs it similar - but maybe a bit bigger than 15 - need to look around - rims are difficult on a cabrio - have to be right and I keep coming back to bbs 

Incidentally I've cut the rust out and am just making some bits to weld in on that slam panel - pictures later 

Back to the top
B066F3FE-B442-4B52-9FA0-4492A522F1B4.jpeg 3C990A94-8C3C-4BA5-B63F-51EAF5F677DC.jpeg 3FDEA192-C82C-4BBB-943A-069BD7869B6D.jpeg D7F617B7-CE2A-43D0-8501-17F80E219F28.jpeg

A little more progress - area around catch cleaned and then catch removed - rest cut out and then treated with rust killer . 
Repair pieces will be made and welded in soon 

Back to the top

88 clipper project

I want 16s too mate and your right I find cabby wheels have to have the right look .I've spotted some beauties but there £1500 I'm laughing to myself as that's how mine started just cutting out the middle bit of rust around the catch.then ended up doing the lot lol.

Back to the top
So a little more today - air cleaner out to be cleaned and filter replaced 
Started cleaning some of the metal in the bay as well . 
Nothing drastic but I want the oily bits back to paint . 
Easy to do and makes a difference . 

I don't want to get carried away with this - it's just going through it to make it a nice useable car - I have stuff for shows and this is never going to Be a show car  FF4369B3-9B4E-4310-8F8F-459008ECE7F7.jpeg

Back to the top
Made up a couple of pieces for the slam panel and welded them in - cleaned up ok but not the best as there is a lot of paint etc underneath so had amps right down Andrew the fumes spoilt the weld a bit - hey ho 

The repair bits incorporated the section with one of the catch mounting holes in so I marked 3 on some masking tape and just span it round to give correct position and drilled it back out . 
Cleaned the other couple of bits of surface rust and it's ready for prep before paint - I will just paint slam panel and will do in clear and base to give a little extra protection in the future . 
Amazingly that is all the welding done on the car - no other rust anywhere - not even underneath . 
Happy bunny  D467EBC7-699F-4B20-B4F6-61063A6AA49B.jpeg DA7FBB42-BE6A-4420-9B5B-277C3F71AF83.jpeg A5D82783-43AA-437F-8AFA-D59FBF52ADA4.jpeg ACD9DB66-FFDA-4676-823D-131F49C3ED95.jpeg

Back to the top

88 clipper project

Well done mate good job

Back to the top
Repair blocked and in etch primer 
That will do until I shoot some colour - I will do front. Bumper and area in front of rear wheels and slam panel in one go in the booth when I'm ready  image.jpg

Back to the top

88 clipper project

Nice

Back to the top
image.jpg A little more today - it's sunday so my day off but I had to whip into work to primer a boat and did a bit in this between coats .
Started removing stickers in front of wheel arches at back - what a job as they just break up .
Also started flatting the front bumper as it has micro blisters where it has been painted in the past .  image.jpg
Hoping to be able to flat everything that needs doing and have it painted in next 2 weeks . 
I really don't want this sat in the workshop for more than 4 weeks total . 

Back to the top

88 clipper project

How did you get the stickers off on the arches I tried a heat gun and they turned to mush

Back to the top
C650741B-0F1D-4B9A-AB1B-C268CCAEF943.png

Deano777 said

How did you get the stickers off on the arches I tried a heat gun and they turned to mush

I used a heat gun at first but yes they turn to mush - I have a sticker removal wheel for a Facom air driven under seal remover . You can get them to go in a drill from auto paint suppliers - just be careful not to put too much heat in the plastics when using one 

Back to the top

88 clipper project

Cheers mate il grab one Regards Dean

Back to the top
Right so I think I've found the wheels I want - nothing too drastic but not your every day choice - I'll wait until they are here and post pictures . 
I am after a 30mm drop - any suggestions of which way to go - I'm worried that coilovers won't do that little ( if that make sense ) 
Also who does the best stone guard stickers for the rear arches - closest to original please . 
Anyone got any H&R adaptors for sale - 4x100 to 5x130 ( that's Porsche ) Please . 
Booth should be empty tomorrow so hopefully press on with prep and paint - would be nice to have that done this week . 

Back to the top

88 clipper project

If you want to go 1cm more in the drop, H&R do a comfort cup suspension. Not coil over.  I've just fitted my front end set. Doing the back in a couple of weeks time hopefully.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

If you want the PSD Boot Sticker file, it's here: Boot Sticker
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.