Skip navigation

Delete

Back to the top
Does seem to be a great find in good condition, well done for dragging it out of it's long sleep and getting it back on the road, fingers crossed it's straight forward.

I would also change the brake fluid and check all the rubber fuel lines carefully as the extra ethanol they put in petrol now a days rots the rubber…  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Found this site which is really useful for finding part numbers etc

https://7zap.com/en/

Back to the top
Looking at your new pics, seems loads of work and expense already undertaken. Wonder why they gave up?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

Looking at your new pics, seems loads of work and expense already undertaken. Wonder why they gave up?

Clearly loved by its elderly owner who owned it for nearly 40 years. She enjoyed it and must just be time to move on, made me promise pictures. Which I will uphold, I'm going to enjoy it too and look after it. After all it deserves it after 40+ years joy and servitude

Back to the top
Delete

Back to the top

Rare Purple 1978 Golf GLS Automatic garage find

I've had a few bits powder coated it looks good mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Looks like a great find, reminds me of my 1st ever car,  which was a Polar white Mk1 GLS

Be good to see it coming back to use

Back to the top
Still looking for some parts which seems to be as rare as a unicorn

Took it out for a spin other day, only did 7 miles but it drove great, a bit underpowered so hoping electronic points conversion will make a difference

Back to the top
Electronic ignition kit works a treat and have restored some power sweet!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-1-5-1975-84-electronic-Ignition-Bosch-kit16/172722180460

Back to the top
Yes I fitted the Accuspark kit to my 1978 Mk1 Scirocco and it's well worth the money, had mine for a few years and no problems so far.

FYI. Cars after 78 ish had electric ignition as standard…

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Yes I fitted the Accuspark kit to my 1978 Mk1 Scirocco and it's well worth the money, had mine for a few years and no problems so far.

Not sure about big block engines but small block 1.1 and 1.3 continued with points until 1983 A-reg.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

That's good to know, was a bit sceptical but proof in in the pudding when I drove it today  :cool:

Your Scirocco is quite rare I would of thought too being a 78

Back to the top
Delete

Back to the top

Rare Purple 1978 Golf GLS Automatic garage find

Nice find and like what you've done so far. What's the drive like? Do you get much road / wind noise inside?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
IMG_2092_LH-01.jpeg IMG_1483-01.jpeg
  Well.. there is only 48 left (in theory) now, cause I have an Automatic GLS here in Ireland.. basic the same car, color and probably same as your old interior as well.
 I bought mine from an old guy that collects classic over in Galway, and according to UK and Irish papers was owned by two garages and two private owners before him, so I would be the 4th private owner.
 Here in Ireland his wife use to drive now and then for grocery shopping.. so it has only 30.000 mls on it from new!

PS: Had the same 13" as yours, but have upgraded to 15" since, only modification so far.

IMG_1426-02.jpeg

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.