Skip navigation

Wont start

Back to the top
Hi all, just got this vw golf 1.8 GTI, was wondering if someone on here can help as the car turns but just does not want to start. Don't know history of car, but can help pump under seat growl then stop on turn of key. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Back to the top
Year would be nice as well as the type of fuel system that you have.

on 84.5 and above Cabriolets there are 2 fuel pumps
with either type of injection systems that is CIS or DIgifant.  

If you turn on the key and hear the fuel pumps Whine, that is usually caused by the in-tank fuel pump failing from age, The filter screen clogged or off, and the pump has picked up trash causing no fuel flow, and or the interconnect vibrations hose holeing.

I will tell you on an OEM in-tank pump that failed on me it when I took it out to replace, the interconnect hose had given up the ghost as it tore when trying to remove it, so you might as well buy about a foot of submersible fuel line and replace it with the pump.

I have a how to with a trick on Keeping that filter screen from falling off when going back in the Archive Section/How-to's

View topic: My DIY list of things for a 90ish Cabriolet (digifant2) part 1 - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Specifically:
1984.5-1993 mk1 How to change your in-tank fuel pump | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

WARNING's
Do in a Well Ventilated area, with
1/2 to 3/4 of  fuel in the tank before removing the Sending Unit.
Disconnect the Battery Ground post.
Remove Fuel Cap

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Hi mate sorry its on a H reg.

Back to the top

Wont start

Check the basics

Do you have a spark
If not at the plug do you have a spare on the ht led from the coil.

Once spark is established. Do you have fuel. Simply remove a plug and turn it over with the coil hit lead removed. You will quickly smell fuel.

If you have spark and fuel then you need to get a little deeper into timing, compression etc. But if one of them two items are missing them tracking down why simply no fuel or no spark is much easier.

You mention you don’t know history of the car just be careful items like cam belts are sound as you don’t want it to fire up and then destroy itself.

If brought as a non runner by someone who took the engine apart and then rebuilt check valve timing marks are lined up, ignition timing is not 180 out or just randomly out. Head bolts are tight. (I brought a pug 306 once that would not start after rebuild and they simply forgot to tighten the head ).

Once you done some checks and if it still not found I am sure if you keep explaining what steps you have taken the huge knowledge on here can guide you to fault find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Wont start

Hi mate it may be something completely different on yours

But on my 85 gti I changed both pumps lines filters accumulator distributor plugs to find out it was only a fuel pump relay

May be worth having a look at that first

Back to the top
Anybody able to advice me where I can get a new 1 from. Not showing on ECP website. Is there a way i can check a relay or just swap and try. Thanks

Back to the top

Wont start

Try German Swedish French (gsf). Or vw heritage site.

Back to the top

Wont start

I had a similar problem with mine when I first got it and it had been sat for a while. Took a spark plug out to find it was home dry.

I located the fuel pump relay and took the cap off, then wedged the microswitch  closed. This made the fuel pump run and the car started. I wonder if it was the immobilizer causing it, as once it had ran for a few mins I returned the relay to normal and it's been fine since. Give it a try.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Wont start

I just got my really from eBay, I got the part number from a page on here, worked a treat

Back to the top
Hi, can you tell us some more history around the car. I presume you bought it as a non-runner?

If so and the car hasn't run for a long time, I would start by draining off all the old fuel and inspecting the fuel tank for rust.

These cars are notorious for rust and debris in the tank which is caused by either a rusty fuel filler or tank internals. If you try and start the car with stale fuel and rust in your tank it will drag it through the entire fuel injection system and you will end up with the headache of having to replace just about everything in your system.

Back to the top
Hi thexvw, all i know about the car is that it is a non runner when I got it, (still is) but before I purchased it the owner said it was running and as he was coming to a stop it spluttered and died on him (fuel starvation), since then he has left it but don't know for how long. As the weather is not brilliant will have to work on it slowly. I tried to see if fuel was coming to the filter in the engine by loosing the banjo, but there was no sign of fuel coming. but could hear the pump growling for about 2 secs and that's it.

Back to the top
The pump will only make a loud noise when its trying to pressure the system (a few seconds as you say) It could still be fubar because its actually internally lubricated by fuel and as old fuel breaks down it losses the ability to do this.

The fuel starvation could be caused by debris in the fuel system, if there is rust in there it would cause an intermitent fuel flow.

Its also worth having a look inside your fuel filter and see if there is rust residue in there (you will need to cut it open and replace with a new)

As I said I would start at the tank first and then work your way through for flow past the pump the accumulator and so on.

Another thing to check (the obvious) is if there is actually fuel in the tank! My fuel gauge got stuck at 12 full when it was actually empty, caused me a couple of hours of head scrathing before I worked that one out.

Back to the top
bit brake cleaner will tell you
if it is a fuel issue

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
Hi all, tried the brake cleaner as nicci21paul mentioned and it points to fuel issue, so took intank fuel pump / sender unit out it was clean as well as the gauze, also tried it with direct 12v from a battery and it worked so now will have to check underneath fuel pump any advise before I start taking it apart?

Back to the top
Hi,

I would start by draining off all your old fuel and start with fresh, when you say you put 12v direct to the pump and it worked, do you mean you saw it pump fuel or just make a noise?

Did you try opening the connection to the accumulator to see if fuel was getting that far?

If not, at that point I would just try a known working pump, then check for any blockage between the pump and fuel filter next.

Back to the top
Hi thexvw, sorry no I took the sender unit out and put a direct 12v  to that, my next set is to see it fuel is getting to the fuel pump underneath the car. That will happen when the weather gets a bit better.

Back to the top
Read my 3rd post (about 3/4 way down)…

Tells you how to test the fuel pump relay….  :thumbs:

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&type=misc&id=technical%2Felectrics_2%2Ffuel-pump-relay_3

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Hi All, had a friend come & help me with having a look at it an he found out there is an immobiliser (hidden under dash) on it which is causing it not to start, which is also temperamental, as we had seen a spark & then there wasn't. Anybody on here know how to remove these. Is it just a matter of follow the wires & cut them at point of join? At time of purchase I was not given a fob for the immobiliser.

Back to the top
Yes it's a case of follow the wires and work out what/where they have tapped into the electrical system.

Just go carefully and make sure the battery is disconnected when working on it..

Alot depends on who fitted the immobilizer and how good they were on hiding wires etc…

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Hi all, is there a negative wire going direct to the battery from the ignition control module (near the heater fan but towards the n/s). As this was hidden under the metering head. If so this could be my issue with spark. Also i did follow the immobiser and the was already disconnected.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.