Skip navigation

Best way to Descale water pipe connections?

Back to the top

Systems already drained

Thanks mark, I'll have a good look and see which direction I need to go.

Briano, I've got thebelt and tensioner in garage, it was on the list of to dos, luckily I hadn't got to it yet!

Back to the top
My fuel injector inserts (83 GTI) don't look anything like that - mine are just plastic inserts….
Anyways, make sure you get new injector seals as they can also go 'hard'.
Unless you are confident, I'd be tempted to get the bolts removed by a machine shop, as there is no margin for error. The bolts will be harder that the alloy of the head so it won't take much to mess it up. Not many jobs I wouldn't tackle, but I'd draw the line at that!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

paceman said

My fuel injector inserts (83 GTI) don't look anything like that - mine are just plastic inserts….

VW change/improved/added things to the K-jet over time, early cars had slightly different injectors as later cars (84 ish) had air shroud injectors, air pipe from breather into the cylinder head between cylinder 3 and 4 so that is why there's some differences in the inserts.

Yours must be like this?
https://www.vwheritage.com/063133555a-insert-for-fuel-injector-18-vw-spare

Just check what's fitted to your engine before buying new stuff as I only know whats fitted to my engines.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
well, my mate who is a bit of a VW nut thinks he can get them out, so we will see this week and ill keep the interested parties out there up to date.

yea they are more what i believe are on there, my cars a bit of a wierd one because its build date is 81 (according to boot sticker) and the reg date is 87 so i find some parts are bit of a mix when it comes to buying replacements.

its like this coolant flange, i can only find plastic inner rubber seal, however mines alloy. I jsut worry about how hot the head gets for that rubber to be ok

Back to the top
anyone know where i can get parts breakdown of coolant system, need to order a few parts and cant find the name/number of one of the metal hoses

ta

Back to the top

Is your flange like this one?
I know that the plastic ones are the norm these days, and most reckon they are better.
Regarding parts, take a look at: https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf/go/1983-7/

You can change models if it's not the right section.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Back to the top

mark1gls said

paceman said

VW change/improved/added things to the K-jet over time, early cars had slightly different injectors as later cars (84 ish) had air shroud injectors, air pipe from breather into the cylinder head between cylinder 3 and 4 so that is why there's some differences in the inserts.

Yours must be like this?
https://www.vwheritage.com/063133555a-insert-for-fuel-injector-18-vw-spare

Just check what's fitted to your engine before buying new stuff as I only know whats fitted to my engines.  :thumbs:

Thanks Mark, , that's what mine are like. Not that they need changing, just wanted to make sure he was getting the right ones!

Back to the top
similar however only one outlet, the straight one, no 90

and thanks for part, its the stud i needed for when its fixed!

love 5 mins jobs that turn into peshwari naans

https://www.vwheritage.com/027121631a-double-thread-stud-vw-spare

Back to the top

paceman said

I know that the plastic ones are the norm these days, and most reckon they are better.

Holy Horse Hockey "HE double hockey sticks" Batman.  Plastic Parts that connect a vibrating part(engine) to stationary things ie: Radiator or Heater Matrix's aren't better they were design change by bean counters…. I never had a metal water outlet deform and leak ever.  I never had a metal outlet break off, or crack at the mounting ears in 20 years of Dieseling…..

The Bean Counter and or Engineers that re-designed that part should be fed ex-lax,shot, hung upside down by their privates , and handed a dull serated knife.

I really think that who ever re-designed Radiators and Heater cores with plastic tanks should be consigned to the firey pits of Hades as well…

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Not a fan then 😂

Back to the top

Personally I'd stick with metal, but I've read a few comments that suggest the plastic ones are less prone to leaking where they mount to the head.
Just to play devil's advocate I'd say that a rubber house wouldn't transfer that much vibration….

Back to the top
well looking like fri the possible date to be having a re look at things….

will then order whats needed and see where we go!

Back to the top

paceman said

Personally I'd stick with metal, but I've read a few comments that suggest the plastic ones are less prone to leaking where they mount to the head.
Just to play devil's advocate I'd say that a rubber house wouldn't transfer that much vibration….

I have had to replace the front water outlet on my 90"s and I have had 3 of them 90's cabriolets, every 6-7 months.  Hence the thread of mine "I still hate plastic parts."  I have also had to replace the "T-Stat" outlets and the outlet on the head because it distorted, and started leaking past the seal.
Granted the "T-Stat" cover and the water outlet on the side didn't break as much as the front, I usually replaced those every 2 years.  So much so that I kept spares of all 2 on hand.  

Since I have replaced all of them with Metal ones I haven't had a leak or a break in 5 years since the total conversion of all to metal.

The difference is that I drive both of mine Daily, and that was 20-50 miles.  

I drove a Diesel Golf for over 330Kmiles/20 years and never had a metal one leak or break.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
05072C9B-313E-4298-B18D-317C0961180C.jpeg So it was these, seen better days for sure! 

It's crazy the things I have found bodged, surely there can't be many more 🙈

One of them was gorrilla glued in place! 

Now to order along with the injector seals, however all coming up green not black?? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F190669091413

Back to the top

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
The o-rings are made out of different rubber/synthetic blends hence the color differences while I have seen Green ones listed for my Digi, I have always used black ones, and over here there are "kits" that have all the Different pars that you may need for CIS or Digifant.

While I only need 2 o-rings per injector on the digi, I can usually get them in a set of 8 for about 5 dollars, or buy 4 "KIT'S" for about 15 bucks per kit.  I being the cost effective illegitimate son (read Cheap Bastiche). I opt for the set of 8 for 5 . :)What I will tell you from seeing it first hand that there is a spray chemical called Berryman's B12 Chem tool that you can spray through your injectors to clean the hades out of them, and you can see the spray pattern go from dipples to full spray.

See this thread: CIS Injector Cleaning, Seal and Holder Replacement

He shows using the green seals as well as the Berryman's cleaning the injector to get a conical spray pattern.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
No mine are the early type, 1 Black Seal at the top into those long plastic holders. Nothing else

It's just 4 seals I need and 4 holders 

Well that's all that has come out lol 

Back to the top

Back to the top
They look correct. I was looking at the same on vw classic earlier.
Tip for fitting them, get some carb cleaner and spray them, it lubricates them so they are easier to get on, then evaporates.
Also works for wishbone bushes…

Briano - tell me more about this injector cleaner stuff. Does it thread on to the injector as I know they need a certain amount of pressure to open (unlike electronic fuel injection).

Back to the top
Briano-

These little gits are £12-40 each on eBay!!

But 19cents on this www

Ever heard of them?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-volkswagen-fuel-injector-sleeve-063133555a
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.