Back to the top

Extremely long-term

One seven one said

Be interested how this shapes up
Me too!  ;)

r5al said

WOW no messing around here, lovely job  :thumbs:
Thanks!

One of the original lamps was unfortunately damaged. The lid hook was broken, and because the original POST lamps are quite rare, I didn't want to give them up. As it turns out, it is much easier to get the right one (than the left one I needed), so I took into account the splitting and transplanting the glass to "ordinary". However, I dug through the Internet and found new Aric brands.

When I ordered the bumpers, I came up with a carbon lamp cover. Their execution takes a bit, due to the fact that the manufacturer did not have them on offer and you had to send the original to make the forms.
As before, entirely of carbon, made in prepreg technology.

I check the weight of many parts, so …:

Series:

Carbon:

As for the car itself - I am slowly decomposing. I think it is in quite good condition, especially that despite how it looks, almost everything unscrews without resistance.

Of course, it's not great everywhere, but nobody has patched anything.

However, I think that not everything will be repaired and I will remove the front aprons and the whole front will be removable.

Rather a typical procedure - removing the battery base + part of the partition - weight reduction by 2493g;)

To be at least a bit of racing, work is underway on the weight of the alternator and its equipment. More soon.

Back to the top
Keeping an eye on this one, Solidworks, MK1 and a great attention to detail this is going to be epic!! Good luck!

Back to the top
Sorry for interupting. Really Nice project going, I own some of these Graku split rims aswell. And there a several types barrels/Lips fitting. I use Schmidt TH Line (also 20 hole, 15") radinox (stainless) Lips and compomotive inner barrels. But the Schmidt barrels also fit. These parts are commonly available. But i respect all the work and effort you are putting in! IMG_20200215_170855941.jpg IMG_20200215_174022_901.jpg IMG_20200212_204312730_HDR.jpg

Back to the top
Manta-turbo, nice collection of wheels. Regarding your suggestion, unfortunately my Graku has 14 inch. How ever, please let me know if you know something more about outer lips like mine. :thumbs:

Last edit: by .wide

Back to the top
Some time ago I get documentation that (I hoped) would allow me to project a parts of suspension without leaving my home. I managed it let's say halfway through, i.e. pre-designed adjustable a-arms. However, not everything can be determined, so using the rest of dimensions I built a transport trolley that will later be adapted for full suspension measurements. My friend will take measurements and give models the final geometry in the near future. Then I will write something more about it.

The trolley base have additional holes for anchors (the wheels will be removed then), which will precisely level the body, but already now looks promising.

I also disassembled the body to the "last screw" and drilled another few grams brackets from the engine bay.

I probably gave up the possibility of street character of the car.
I decided on the ATL tank and fittings. My goal was also to design an internal surge tank. Fitting all the components was not easy, but it seems to have succeeded. Inside there will be two DeatschWerks pumps connected to Deutsch's titanium hermetic connector.

I also met someone who really likes his job, which results in improved details. Lighten and monolithic (originally Wiggins flanges were to be welded). Like nothing, and again I save some grams.

Back to the top
Missed this update - lovely work! Those ATL fuel cells are lovely, nice addition.

I'll hopefully be getting one of your breather blank plates machined fairly soon by the machinist in work :)

Back to the top
really nice project so far  :)
are you keeping the colour the same? i actually quite like it :thumbs:

Back to the top

its broke again said

really nice project so far  :)
are you keeping the colour the same? i actually quite like it :thumbs:

Thanks!
I was considering Dakota or Mexico beige, but today I'm closer to Alpine white.

Back to the top
Hej, zaczynam budowac podobny projekt i mam kilka pytan, jest szansa na jakis kontakt do Ciebie? Pozdrawiam Adam

Hey, I'm starting to build a similar project and I have a few questions, is there any chance of contacting you? Regards Adam

Last edit: by lhasadreams

Back to the top

wadeenie said

.wide said

wadeenie said

Really loving this project :-D
Care to share the CAD models for the shifter?
I am very sorry but I think it is not a good idea to spoil the CAE project/business by distributing this project because it's very close to the original.

I'm happy to help in other cases.

Fair enough, i have already modelled up a CAE copy i just wanted to compare designs.
Anyway good luck with the build  :thumbs:

Do you still have the CAD files? I would also like to make mine! Thanks

Back to the top
Could someone help me to find “X” value with stock VW Golf? Center of bolt to ground. Tire size will be helpful as well because it determinate this value.

Back to the top
Hi there, great build, loving the original engineering too.

I can give you the "x" Dimension and tyre sizes off my car  but it on coilovers, so I'm not sure that will help you much?

Let me know if you want measuement and I'll go out to the garage.

Back to the top

G-Dog said

Hi there, great build, loving the original engineering too.

I can give you the "x" Dimension and tyre sizes off my car  but it on coilovers, so I'm not sure that will help you much?

Let me know if you want measuement and I'll go out to the garage.
Thanks!

Not that helpful like stock suspension but with height from ground to highest pint of wheel arches, can be good start point. So yes, please.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
This is next level!  I will be following your progress closely.  :thumbs:

Current Mk1's
1992 VW Citigolf CTi 1.8i (SA)

Previous MK1's
2006 VW Velociti 1.6i (UK)
1992 VW Mk1 Golf Clipper 1.8 carb (UK)
2000 VW Mk1 Citigolf Life 1.6i (SA)
1991 VW Mk1 Citigolf Sport 1.8 carb (SA)
1983 VW Golf Mk1 GTS 1.6 carb (SA)

Back to the top
I did not expect this novel to be that long, but it looks like it will have to be added a few more years. The project slowed down even more due to the building of my house, “participation in" and assistance in other projects and a few other matters cases, but the generally I was able to dig up a few things and probably not finish anything.

Thanks to many Friends of this project, I am probably closed purchase list of engine components.
As for the valves, I deiced to buy Techtonics kit. CatCams camshafts, although I would prefer Schrick, but unfortunately the price of the whole set is much higher. I bought CatCams' adjustable cam wheels because I like their adjustment system way.
The main idea for engine was to have the bore as large as possible, so I planned to use pistons from the BMW M52B28 (84.00mm) that would fit quite well. It turned out that it would be much easier to use the slightly smaller Wiseco for the 9A engine. Stock conrods does not any problems even at high revs, but I don't want to wonder what the weakest point in the setup is, so I chose forged set. If I haven't missed anything, the lightest on the market (but unfortunately by far the most expensive) are FELD Motorsport. The manufacturer's declared weight with ARP bolt as 597 g. Two years is not enough to verify, but it might still be possible… Pistons from 9A have a different pin diameter, so I sent them to FELD to fit the correct connecting rod bushings at the production stage.
As one of my friends says, "Motorsport enegine should be done with nominal dimensions" and such a new diesel crank has been found. The new timing belt pulley is also a great success - it is practically unavailable anymore. I wanted it because, from what I read, the pulley wedge is a weak point and therefore it will be additionally secured with pins and a larger 1.8T ARP bolt.
I have never looked at harmonic dampers - their design, functions unknown to me, as well as stock or light advantages / disadvantages, but I came across a Fluidampr product and decided to trust them. As I know damper like this are used at the factory in the Audi TTRS and Lamborghini Gallardo.

Setup:

Cylinderhead:
- a complete set of Techtonics valves (of the most important details):
  • intake valves 2mm larger (34mm, 5.5mm thinner shaft),
  • exhaust valves larger 1.5mm larger (28.5mm, 7mm stem narrowing to 6.4mm),
  • exhaust valve seats made of Inconel,
  • titanium valve retainer
- CatCams 279 '/ 279' camshafts
- new OE camshaft bridge studs
- the nuts of the studs of the camshaft bridges made by ARP
- CatCams adjustable timing pulleys
- camshaft pulley bolt made by ARP
- washer for the camshaft pulley bolt made by ARP
- CatCams mechanical cam followers
- ARP head studs
- Athena cylinder head gasket
- intake manifold studs and nuts made by ARP
- exhaust manifold studs and nuts made by ARP
- valve cover stud nuts made by ARP
- electronic ITB from Yamaha R1

Engine block:
Wiseco 83.5mm pistons
FELD Motorsport I-beam connecting rods
connecting rod bolts made by ARP
new diesel crank
new timing belt pulley
lower timing pulley bolt made by ARP
Fluidampr. pulley
engine main studs made by ARP
balancing shaft wheel bolt made by ARP
balancing shaft wheel bolt washer made by ARP
iABED Industries water pump pulley
flywheel bolts made by ARP
Schrick oil pan

- all necessary washers, not available in size in ARP, new OE
- Gates Racing timing belt
- new equipment, sealants, gaskets, brokers etc. etc.

I decided to completely remove the dashboard, heater etc so thought a heated windshield would be a good idea. Hope to unpack sometime…

Moreover, I want to use a safe Woodward Steering column, which means removing the column switches etc. In order not to transfer everything to the external keyboard, I designed the steering wheel button plate, which I hope will soon be checked as finished. No photos, but despite appearances, it is closest to the end.
The stock column switches weigh 192g, so the weight balance will be a bit backwards, but maybe I'll make up for it with the column.

Some time ago made a pedalbox similar to the Tilton 900 series. I think that it is for a cooler pedal position sensor. Most important a lighter one. My complete pedalbox weighed 2474g vs Tilton's 2300g without the pumps (~183g each) and the Tilton's sensor. The current one will be even lighter.
It will roughly look like the previous one below. The pedals and some other small stuff are here.

A prototype of the ATL cover was successfully made. It fits, but the lettering grooves have been forgotten, so I've made some minor changes by the way and I'm waiting for v2.

I was given the opportunity to work on small CNC milling machine so decided to adapt Bosch's P65 by 24race coils and decide to design some fins to dissipate heat from the head. I want to do it as precisely as possible, but the geometry of the cover does not make it easy.

I started to think about a body shell repair and hoped it would be easy due to the availability of the spare body parts. The Klokkerholm floors that I received were only suitable to be rolled up and scrapped. As I know now, all floors panels from aftermarket look like this.
Following the info about cabrio floor swaps, at VW Classic Parts I found new original floor panels for the mk1 cabrio / Scirocco mk2. The OE number did not match, and I did not find confirmation that they will fit. They looked similar, so I took a chance and bought. For the price of three Klokkerholm kits, but it was worth it.

I adapted the rear hub set from the Polo GTI to my needs. The stock wheel speed sensors (112g) will be replaced with smaller ones - 38g.
I designed and made adapters for Wilwood calipers (1238g vs mk4 2100-2375g (different data in web) (163g vs 775g mk4). Helicoil springs are intentionally screwed into the adapters to strengthen the connection.
The hub pins were adapted to the new adapters, and the stock ABS ring was replaced with the stock front mk2 / mk3 hubs.

I did something in suspension topic as well. Different way than planned, but we took measurements. I made a camber plate because nothing should change here. By the way, new spring covers, which allowed to move the spring 15mm up in relation to the shock absorber.
I decided to adapt the knuckles from the mk2 / mk3. The stock is the Achilles' heel of the mk1 and racing ends with broken wheels. Modification on CNC successfully completed.
The front wheels will also have small and light sensors installed, so the steering knuckles still require delicate cosmetics in the form of removing the stock ABS sensor mount and repainting it. But this is only after welding pins to correct the roll center.
ARP screws will be used in the crossovers, that's my new invention.

All of the above parts have changed a bit ind details, but more on that in the next post. I have to take photos.

By the way, I think the weakest point of this project - the dampers. There were no buyers when I tried to sell them, so I modified them slightly. I am continuing the concept of coloring vehicle zones, which I previously saw, so I anodized the elements anew.
In general, brake hoses, plug labels, and suspension details will have their own color characteristic for each wheel. The idea is not to waste time identifying which part of the vehicle comes from a specific part during a nervous repair during a track fight… which this vehicle will probably never experience  :lol:

I designed something in oil pan and timing belt cover case as well, but maybe its enough on this time.

Last edit: by .wide

Back to the top
The attention to detail on this project is simply amazing. Keep up the good work and updates  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Rich. said

The attention to detail on this project is simply amazing.
Exactly the same as in your project!
Thanks!

Back to the top
I'm glad I made it so I'd like to share with you.
I have few for customers. Let me know if you interested.

There are too many online users to list.