Skip navigation

1983 MK1 Golf GTi Fuel Pump Relay

Back to the top

Fuel Pump Relay

Ok well if you're sure the pot inside the tank is ok, as coating the tank wouldn't help if the pot seals were rotted away that's the thing.

One way to wire in an extra relay you would either have to relocate the fuel relay above the fusebox similar to how the S1 MK1 relay recal does it then have that trigger your new relay, this can then be hooked into spade N on the back of the fusebox to power up the fuel pump fuse.

Or leave the factory relay as it is and cut your new relay inline with the wiring to the fuel pump

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks…..I will inspect inside tank again to make sure there is nothing obstructing the swirl pot.

I was planning to keep original relay then installing an inline 15amp circuit breaker between the +ve supply from the relay to the fuel pump?

You think that would be ok? Or should I go for a lower amp circuit breaker?

Not sure what the amp rating on the Bosch fuel pump is

Thanks

Back to the top
There is already a 15a fuse in the pump circuit #5 so not sure it would really help, are the relays you are using decent quality or cheaper no-name brands?

Worst case if the pot seals have gone you could mount an external swirl pot and feed it from a Scirocco/cabrio/polo lift pump or an aftermarket pre-supply pump.

It's also possible the main pump is just bad and needs replacing

Back to the top
Ok noted.

Relays, I tried the JP Group brand, appears to be cheap.

Tried Torpan brand again didn't last long.

Thinking of this one which has fuse, supplied by VW Heritage

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392364570304

Any recommendations otherwise?

Can you advise if the fuse on this is replaceable if blown?

Thanks

Back to the top
That one is for the older ceramic fusebox and won't fit yours unfortunately. Try to get kracker make relay if you can, those are good. SHO make many of the genuine ones but harder to find.

Back to the top
Any advise where to find a suitable Kracker relay?

I found a second hand one but prefer new.

Back to the top
Was looking at pre-pump filters.

Found this:
https://www.rivalmotorsport.co.uk/sytec-motorsport-bullet-high-flow-in-line-fuel-filter

Would this be an option? It's high flow and 8mm ports?

The only other thing would be is where to install underneath and how to protect it from the road elements.

Cheers

Back to the top
What you need if the pot inside the tank has failed is an external swirl pot rather than a filter, to keep the main pump fed. They don't like running dry it quickly kills them as the fuel also serves as a lubricant for the internals

Back to the top
Thanks….

You mentioned earlier "external swirl pot and feed it from a Scirocco/cabrio/polo lift pump"

Can you please advise part number for the swirl pot and the lift pump so I can look into that if required?

Ref the relay, struggling finding a Kracker relay. I found a Hella brand so guessing it should be ok as my other relays are Hella.

Back to the top
the cabrio/rocco/polo swirl pot is 533201511A, you can still get them but pretty pricey. a suitable aftermarket type will work just as well.

for the lift pump there are several numbers but its post-84 cabrio and scirocco injection you're looking for, or any G40 shape polo will have one. all of these have the pot you're after too

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.