Skip navigation

Oversized pistons for 1.6 Gti EG - Where can I find some?!

Back to the top
Hi All!

So I've tracked down a new block for my 1.6 gti (an EG 'H' block) - the last one was cracked badly

Anyway, the machiners have said it needs a re-bore

The only thing is are oversized pistons seem to be pretty non existent unless I'm to get forged, high compression wossner pistons (which I'd prefer not to do)

Does anyone know where I can find some at all?

The machiners are also on the search and so far haven't had any luck

Thanks a lot!
Richard

Back to the top
I have just been discussing this with someone on here via PM. It would appear that the only pistons available are Wossner forged pistons:

https://forged-pistons.co.uk/webshop/wossner-automotive-forged-pistons/volkswagen-forged-pistons/golf-mk1-gti-1-6-8v-high-compression-wossner-forged-pistons-9180/

However if you find any alternatives I'm certainly one person that would be glad to know!

Back to the top
What a coincidence! And likewise to you if you do find anything else out there.

Do you know the affects that higher compression forged pistons would have on the standard setup? My knowledge doesn't quite go that far!

Cheers

Back to the top
In theory a little bit more power, but you would need to sort timing etc to suit. A machine shop could probably bring the pistons back to normal compression but you would need to check that first. I have emailed Kolbenschmidt to see if they can supply pistons but I doubt it.

Back to the top
Just found that Wossner do have forged pistons that have an almost standard compression - aiming to be as close to oem as possible.

Still.. £550  O_oUPDATE

The sales team - re-checked their stock and there aren't any available (worldwide)

Last edit: by rickets867

Back to the top
Well that's better than the high compression ones if you are going for a standard rebuild, which is what I would want to do. Are the almost stock compression ones still oversized?

Back to the top
I've got some bad news. They're out of stock even though they're listed as available on their site.

I quote "they're out of stock worldwide with no expected re-stock date at this time"

Back to the drawing board.

My aim is to go for as close to standard as possible, but with the oversized pistons due to needing a re-bore. Is it the same case with yourself?

Back to the top
Yes that's pretty much what I'm looking at. I haven't confirmed that a rebore is required but that's what I'm basing my plans on as the engine has done a few miles. If it doesn't need a rebore id be very surprised.

Back to the top
Yeah that's fair enough! Well let's keep searching and we might find something.

Still got the machiners on the hunt with their suppliers so if they come up with anything I'll give you a shout 

Back to the top
I've found these on the American eBay - suitable for the rabbit 1.6l. 

Obviously I'll have mine bored to suit but do you think these are suitable for an EG? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/172414434780 

Back to the top
I can't see them on the link?

Back to the top

Back to the top
It's hard to say without knowing a few more dimensions, I might send them a message.

Back to the top
The maker doesnt list them as suitable for the EG engine unfortunately.

https://catalog.mahle-aftermarket.com/gb/product.xhtml?eid=967761#divider

Back to the top
EG pistons are no longer available….havnt been for quite a while. Either custom forged pistons made to the original dimensions or if the current pistons are in reasonable condition the block could be bored and then linered back to std….either option isn't cheap.

No surprise that the wosner EG piston isn't available as I doubt there's much/any call for it these days.

There maybe another piston from a different engine that is dimensionally close….need the same pin size and similar crown height as a starting point. If the bowl size is similar it could be made bigger to get the CR close as possible to standard…though a little more won't hurt. Look at Ford crossflow pistons…same type of flat head (heron) as the EG but with a bigger bore (ideal) but a shorter stroke, so the height maybe miles out, but may have enough crown meat to make work…if the pin size is right…and they'd be cheap in std cast form.

US pistons will be lower on compression.

www.jmrclubsport.com

Back to the top
Ford crossflow has a 21mm pin….i "think" the EG is the same as a DX @ 20mm…so the rod bushes could be opened to suit…machine shop should be able to check out the rest.

www.jmrclubsport.com

Back to the top
The EG pin is 22mm, 63mm long if I recall correctly. At the minute G60 pistons and Wossner high compression ones seem to be the contenders.

Back to the top
Cheers Guys! What an absolutely pain the in the back side.

My research lead me to the g60 pistons being the next option as well - PG engine code I believe.

Would the pistons need modifying though to achieve a similar compression? I see they have a raised bit on the top as well 

Back to the top
The block needs bored to suit, and decked to achieve the desired compression ratio. A member on here has done it before & I PM'd him regarding it.

Back to the top
I bought some 0.5mm oversize pistons (80.00mm) from TSR performance for £530 last year with the 11.6:1 compression ratio, they don't sell them anymore but the same pistons can be found on a few other websites. AFAIK running a higher compression is more fuel efficient and gives more power, but creates more heat, so i'm not too sure if more cooling capabilities is required as i've still not built my engine up yet. If you do want to run a standard C/R then you can get your engine builder to measure the combustion chamber volume on the piston and block and in the head and calculate the correct size of head gasket from that, hope this helps
There are too many online users to list.