Skip navigation

Rivage rear brakes not working

Back to the top
Hi guys

took the rivage for its annual MOT and was told by the MOT guy that the rear brakes need looking at as there was no resistance at all!

If i have read correctly the later cabbies do not have the rear beam compensator valve abut have pressure operated one near the servo?

would this be a good place to start? also how easy is it to change? , i assume all brakes would need bleeding again?

also anyone have a pic to what the part looks like?

thanks in advance

Alps

Alps 1992 Rivage Green, 1991 Rivage Blue (SOLD), 1986 GTI convertible White (SOLD) 

Back to the top

Are you happy that everything else is as it should be? Ie wheel cylinders, shoes that sort of thing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg

Back to the top
The rear brake cylinder seals either leak and cover the shoes with fluid or seize solid. Both leading to your MOT failure.

Pull off the drums and look-see before starting to twiddle and disturbing other stuff

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Parking brake cables can be hung, Wheel Cylinders can be shot.  Brake springs may be on wrong.

the spring on the adjuster wedge is broken, or missing the wedge or the wedge was put in backwards and can't adjust.

Taking it apart and inspection is warranted.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for all the responses guys

The rear brakes worked fine at MOT time last year, and the cylinders were replaced a few years back, hence i was thinking something further up the chain as both rear brakes are not working.

I will check them anyhow to confirm alls ok as its not too much effort.

Alps 1992 Rivage Green, 1991 Rivage Blue (SOLD), 1986 GTI convertible White (SOLD) 

Back to the top
Auto adjuster not working on rear drums…
How old is your brake fluid?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Auto adjuster not working on rear drums…
How old is your brake fluid?

Hi Mark,

ive had the car 3 years, and ive never changed it…. might have to start there, will the auto adjuster need to be replaced then?

thanks

Back to the top
Not if the spring is there, and the wedge is working.

But I have seen over the years of ownership where the POS (previous owners Service) have placed in in the assembly incorrectly.

Some Reference Pictures for you.

brk003.jpg DSCI0206_zpsd7g5yowc.jpg DSCI0207_zpslqow93tj.jpg DSCI0208_zpserpzmjiu.jpg DSCI0209_zpscbgzhy6d.jpg

I can remember one time that I had a leaking rear wheel cylinder, which I replaced as well as the shoes, buttoned it all up, replaced the other side as well, and got it on the  ground only to bleed it, when I pulled up the E-Brake, one of the Cables snapped….. So on all new to me cars, I replace the rear wheel Cylinders, e-Brake Cables, as well as bearings, shoes and drums… So I am done with it for a few years. Oh, and I never forget to replace the rubber hoses as well.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
forgot to update this thread !

i changed the brake fluid and it was well past it! very dark brown!

brakes seem to work better now, but will have to see when it gets its mot done next year!  it will probably do with one more change to make sure all the rubbish is out the system.

Back to the top
Thanks for the update and glad it was a simple fix, think of brake fluid like engine oil as it needs to be changed at regular intervals.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Problem still there :(

went in for its MOT again and rear brakes still have little to no bite.

Cylinders looked ok, and brake assembly looked ok. might change the cylinders again any way in case they have seized. Handbrake operates perfectly.
brake hoses are old and probably need changing too, but they look rusted on.

i guess my next option will be to change the master cylinder?, maybe change that and the servo to an upgraded one?

over to you guys , any advice appreciated!

Back to the top

For the money I’d put new flexi hoses new cylinders etc.
These cars are knocking on a bit now so it’s worth spending on stopping.
Can you replace the seals on the master cylinder?
I did on my old Vauxhall Nova many moons ago.

If you’re going to change master cylinder then it’s probably worth upgrading the servo.
These cars are not known for their stopping abilities lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

Sometimes the flexis expand with the pressure so you don’t get pill pressure at the cylinders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
And equally if you are changing the servo you have to change the MC.

I had a similar advisory on the mot when I purchased my car, I checked everything over and there wasnt any obvious problems with any of the breaking components individually so I came to the conclusion the whole system was just past it.

The intention was to just fit new drums, shoes and braided hoses back and front but one of my original lines sheared so had to replace the lot.

Id go for new drums and shoes as a minimum, you can work out for yourself if your rears are up to MOT standard by parking on a hill

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
amusing for the tester to say no resistance at all

Last edit: by nicci21paul

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
thanks guys, i guess i`ll start with the easier bits , cylinders and flexi`s and take it from there

worried the brake pipe joints will mess up as they are pretty rusted where they join the flexi`s.

Back to the top
Don't use normal spanner's to undo brake lines, get a brake pipe spanner or some crows feet spanners, the type which have more flats to hold the nut.

I found them invaluable when undo the brake lines above the rear beam, I had to use an extension bar and socket wrench to get access to the connections.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-Crowfoot-Wrench-Set-3-8-dr-Flare-Nut-Spanner-Type-Crowsfoot-Socket-Wrench/143216324806?hash=item21585bb0c6:g:pUMAAOSwk2tctFAi

Back to the top
Thanks Mark, ordered some :)

Back to the top
If you can start soaking the joints in penetrating oil as that might help break the bond.

Back to the top
seem to spendig a lot of
money to accomplish an
easy task

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.