Skip navigation

Preference on 15 or 16 inch alloys

Back to the top
Hi I am going to be buying some Stuttgart alloys and getting some tyres stretched on.  What size wheels would you recommend? Can’t decide on 15 or 16 inch, help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Depends how low you are running. 

How wide are they? Offset? Pictures? Etc..

Back to the top

Roach said

Depends how low you are running. 

How wide are they? Offset? Pictures? Etc..

Back to the top

I was edging towards the 8.0x15  with some low profile stretched tyres and adjust the coilovers to suit

Back to the top
I'd go 8x15. 

Back to the top

Roach said

I'd go 8x15. 

Thanks I think I will do, once I have them I will need to find out what tyre size will stretch on lol

Back to the top
Yeah get them and try them on minus tyres and go from there. 

I love a 185/55 on an 8..  not too mad, they look right. 

Back to the top

Roach said

Yeah get them and try them on minus tyres and go from there. 

I love a 185/55 on an 8..  not too mad, they look right. 

Do you have to go for a slightly bigger profile to accommodate for the stretch  55 are like 4x4 tyres lol

Back to the top
Go for a 185 45 then. 

Happy driving! :)

Back to the top

Roach said

Go for a 185 45 then. 

Happy driving! :)
Thanks for your advice

Back to the top
Erm if I may interject here.

I've been looking at tyres recently as I have a slight tyre/arch love fest going on and have been searching out sizes etc.

The only ones I could find in 185/45/15 (I must admit to only checking a couple of sites and of course will no doubt be proved wrong!) were Nankangs.

Without getting into any sort of major discussion and please feel free to do as you wish, but I have to add a note of caution or i couldn't live with myself.

Nankangs are known as ditch finders. They're not particularly good tyres for grip. Strecthing tyres also looses grip and handling characteristics also can get a bit odd due to the way the sidewall moves about.

Nankangs are great for stretching as they have very little steel in them, hence why they stretch easily and why they are cheap.

As long as you're aware that your handling will not be as good as it could be and you intend to drive to the tyres then crack on. I'm sure it'll look great  :thumbs:

Don't get me wrong here, I have used stretched tyres in the past and still do on occasion. But the car doesn't handle the same.

Be safe

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
MarkHaigh  I also moved your post into the chat area as I thought it was better here  :P

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

Erm if I may interject here.

I've been looking at tyres recently as I have a slight tyre/arch love fest going on and have been searching out sizes etc.

The only ones I could find in 185/45/15 (I must admit to only checking a couple of sites and of course will no doubt be proved wrong!) were Nankangs.

Without getting into any sort of major discussion and please feel free to do as you wish, but I have to add a note of caution or i couldn't live with myself.

Nankangs are known as ditch finders. They're not particularly good tyres for grip. Strecthing tyres also looses grip and handling characteristics also can get a bit odd due to the way the sidewall moves about.

Nankangs are great for stretching as they have very little steel in them, hence why they stretch easily and why they are cheap.

As long as you're aware that your handling will not be as good as it could be and you intend to drive to the tyres then crack on. I'm sure it'll look great  :thumbs:

Don't get me wrong here, I have used stretched tyres in the past and still do on occasion. But the car doesn't handle the same.

Be safe

Ian
Thanks for your note of caution, I was finding it pretty hard finding 45s on a 15in tyre in general.  my golf will be a weekend cruiser in dry weather only and won’t be going too fast round any corners in it lol,  I have plenty of time to look about and try to find some that suit, I think I need to start by looking at what sizes other people have on theirs so I get an idea of how they look then take it from there.

Back to the top

I run 16 in wheels on mine with toyo tyres. Not stretched I admit bot 40 profile. I like the bigger wheel look personally

Equally I don’t really understand what the stretched tyre look is all about but maybe I am just boring.

Back to the top
Backinblack  I also prefer the full tyre thing.

I believe stretching started in Germany where the same size tyre has to be used on certain cars or at certain times. As such the wheels could be wider but the tyres had to stay the same.

So to get the wider wheel look they simply stretched the tyres to fit.

And here we are years later  :P

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
I have minimal stretch, I run 165's on a 6.5. 

I only ever do it for arch clearance. 

They are 55's tho, my days of low profile tyres are over. :)

Back to the top

Roach said

I have minimal stretch, I run 165's on a 6.5. 

I only ever do it for arch clearance. 

They are 55's tho, my days of low profile tyres are over. :)

Very soft seats is the key. Allows the hips a and spine in one piece.

Back to the top
When I say minimal stretch I mean minimal. 

The tyre states it should be fitted to nothin bigger than a 5" wheel. 

C383862F-405D-458D-8F67-D16827FA252E.jpeg

Back to the top
I wouldn't say that was stretched at all

IMPULS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Nope hardly at all. Because of the 55 profile. 

If that was a 165/50, it'd look stretched…. they were still a bummer to fit.. maybe because the impuls are JJ??

Anyway. :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.