Skip navigation

Project golf costs.... advise needed

Back to the top
Hi guys looking at a golf Gti project. Car seems solid and runs sou d however needs a new lease of life. Few bits of rust to body bit underside ect solid. Few questions i had from anyone who may have done this.

1. Roof. How much does a new roof headliner and tensioners plus fitting cost.
2. It needs a full repaint i will strip it all down but rough ball park cost for a full colour change im in yorkshire
3. As mentioned a few patches of rust to body assume can be groind back treated then final paint job would sort… am i wrong?

Also further down the line what does a interior retrim cost seats and door cards in a trendy cloth….

Apprecite this could be how long is a piece of string but from those who have done bits similar throw out your ball park numbers please.

Back to the top

Roof. £100 for the kit. £200 fitting bit not too hard to do yourself.

Full repaint. An ok job will be about 5k. 20k for show standard.

Various rust spots etc should be in the paint job. But I would allow 500 for day arch or floor panels to make the job better.

Now watch everyone tell you this is expensive and cheap as no one ever agrees on this type of discussion - have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Ps put some pictures up. We love seeing all cars in any condition especially those getting some love.

Back to the top
Yeah will add some if it pulls off…

5-20k for paint is the painful bit….Would it need going right back to metal or do they rub down and prime whats there. It would be going from red to a totally different colour. Was hoping something more like 3k its going to be a weekend summer car for me to enjoy not a show car!!

Back to the top
Well if you're changing the colour, then it's gonna be an inside and out job with the engine bay. 

If you want it looking good, then it's gonna cost you a lot of money. 

Back to the top
Cheap colour change resprays are so wonk.

Door shuts, boot, engine bay etc all need doing. Which as said means tons extra £ work. Buy a car the colour you want.

Mars Red is the best MK1 colour anyway.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Are you considering doing any of the work yourself?

There is a paint you can roller on and thern with lots of sanding it'll come up shiny and smooth.

Just a thought.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
What colour is it and why do you want to change it?
Colour change is the expensive bit..

Stripping the car, all trim removed, glass out, lights, interior out and preparing some of the body work yourself will bring the cost down.

Removing engine and some of loom will also help if you paint the engine bay as well or done get them to paint in the engine bay will also help.

Driving into a body shop and getting them to remove and refit everything takes time.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Will need a repaint as to be fair most i have gone to see that are supposidly in great condition still have issues blistering hazing fading ect... which would drive me mad. So i thought rather than spending 3.5-4k on a good car. Spend 2k on one that needs work and put money in to making it mint. Stripping down ect isnt an issue... I was just trying to get an idea for what others have spent thats all.

Back to the top
Have a read this right? £5000 - £20000 for a respray? 

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
Thats what it says. I have a ball park quote of 3k if i stripped down

Back to the top

ajc1984 said

Thats what it says. I have a ball park quote of 3k if i stripped down

That seems high, unless you factor in the body repairs/rust.

Oh, and I won't touch a top recover all 3 layers for less than 600 USD.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
My mates rates for an inside and out including engine bay. Me stripping it down. 

6k. 

3k will get you a nasty nasty job. 

Back to the top
3k nasty job. Dont know how paying a painter 2k for 5 days work would get a nasty job (paint been 1k top end) jesus they would earn 96 grand a year at that rate.  Your mates rates at 6k dont seem very mates rates to me. Im not talking show standard paint im talking new car off a production line level.

Back to the top
We'll agree to disagree. 

I forget that yours is a floppy top, so you can knock a little bit off, less of a car to paint. 

It's all in the prep, proper prep is way more than 5 days imo.  

Back to the top

Let’s do some numbers

Painter is paid 36k. (3k a month / 750 a week)
No contributions and pension etc cost his employer another 250 a week.

So 1000 labour before you start

Running the workshop say 500 a week for a really small shop and booth

Materials let’s say a very reasonable 500

We are now at 2k and no profit yet and not paid the owner.

So let’s assume 20% for profit snd other overheads that is 2400 for a bare bones paint job and naff all materials really.

If you want a 500 paint job ask yourself would you do it for a week less materials, tax, overheads etc for that much.

Back to the top
Sorry lost me a bit but if your suggesting its £500 for a paint job to a garage then your maths isnt quite right. 1. You have paid the painter a £1000 wage which is good in anyones books.2. If you run the shop you are basically just over seeing the work so will probably have multiple projects on the go at once  so assuming the 20% profit to the owner thats £400 in his pocket plus the £500 you say is for the 'paint job' the garage owner is clearing £900 for lets face it naff all as we have already calculated his overheads in running the shop in the above. Given he might have 4 jobs in at a time hes doing £3600!! All im trying to say is i have a price for a cab full respray colour change if I strip down they will do minor body work if worse i have to pay more, for 3k yes wont be a show winner but will also be better than 90% of the new cars on the road as it has rub downs between coats. I really dont know where you all take your cars but 6k to 20k for a paint job on a golf is crazy.

Back to the top
I live down south tbf, things cost more down here. 

Engine bay alone is over a day of prep. Prepping the inside isn't a quick process either. Boot area. Body on top of that, plus minor repairs, skimming, priming and painting…. in 5 days? 

It'll rushed and bodged is all I'm saying… it may look the danglies when it comes out… but look at it again I'm a years time…. you'll be kicking yourself. 

Back to the top
What ever happened to £100 a panel 

Current rides:

1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
I'd buy a compressor, gun and paints and line the garage with plastic sheeting and learn something in the process rather than pay them figures 

Current rides:

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.